Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
How to make Stock exhaust sound a lil louder?
My question is why do you enjoy the Goldwing to begin with??? I love mine because I can enjoy it while riding and talking with my wife while listening to my tunes and have all the power I need to boot. I enjoy the comfort of it. With that said, if I wanted more of a rumble, I would get a different bike!!

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but the bike is at it's best already!
#31 04-29-2009, 09:06 AM,
William_86 Wrote:i just want it to sound a lil muscle xD can someone with the baffles off record a video or just audio and post it here ??

William, I found 2 files I made when I had removed the baffles from my Wing. Stock is with baffles, modified is without baffles. I will email them to you because I cannot upload .wav files on this site
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#32 04-29-2009, 03:54 PM,
William,
I may have the solution to the sound you want. I have spare parts so I didn't care about my experimentation ruining anything. I took the baffles completely out and drilled six, 3/8ths holes in the end of the muffler. The end of the muffler is just past the baffle support ring down inside the exhaust pipe. You can see about a 1" size hole that is offset from center down in there. That 1" hole is the muffler outlet. I drilled the holes in the plate next to the 1" outlet. Now at idle I have a deep, throaty growl, under acceleration I have the sound of an engine with horsepower and at highway speed you can just barely hear that it is a little louder than stock. I don't like loud pipes, period! But these aren't loud, they're satisfying in the sense that you can hear the horsepower without the sound being obnoxious at all. Also, with the exhaust opened up the hot gases get out without being bottled up. I've heard people say that a little back pressure is necessary. I don't believe that completely, but I do believe that organized flow is necessary. I could be wrong, but I think the baffle support ring will restrict the flow enough add to the organized flow. I may be like a kid with a playing card clothes-pinned to rub on his bicycle spokes, but I seem to have better throttle response and at idle the engine runs cooler. I really like the sound....it's deep and growly without being loud. It doesn't sound like those tinny sounding mufflers the young'uns run on their little rice-rocket cars. To me, the "cool factor" went up a bit with this "new" exhaust sound! 8)
Trying to keep the rubber side down and the dummy side up.
Member Iron Butt Association
#33 06-11-2009, 10:43 PM,
I just picked up a pair of Jardine turn downs for my 84A on ebay for 113 bucks, not bad since JCW wants 360 for them and 3-4 weeks to ship. There was another set of the same kind on ebay the next day with a BIN of 175 and they got snapped up fast. (they had never been installed on a bike but had a ding in them). Hopefully this will make the bike just a smidge louder and solve my exhaust fume problem. I had a set of Jardine 4>2 on a CB900 that I recently sold and they sounded awsome. Someone made the comment that it may make the bike sound like an old VW beetle, we'll see, I guess, but I wouldn't mind that, I sorta like the way they sound.
Jim(inSC)
#34 06-18-2009, 11:57 AM,
bigjimc I am anxious to find out what you think about the Jardines. I have a set and have not put them on in fear they might be to loud. I too would like a bit more throaty sound from the Wing. I ride with a few of those harley boys and they are asking if my bike is running, ha ha ha. :-)
#35 06-19-2009, 06:49 AM,
I ride with a few of those harley boys and they are asking if my bike is running,

Hey wrroskos, just hit the throttle and when they can't catch you they will know it is running.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#36 06-19-2009, 07:26 AM,
The only Ultra Classic that could catch me has over $4K spent to get the extra HP on top of a bike he paid over $19K for already?????

I asked him if he thought he had more fun on his Harley than I do on my Wing. He told me, I don't think so judging by the constant grin you have on your face when you are on your Wing.

Case closed................. :lol:
#37 06-19-2009, 01:30 PM,
Ok, I put the jardines on today. I thought they would be easy to put on since they are so much lighter than stock, boy, was I wrong. My mistake was using permatex exhaust sealer. That stuff sets up quick so I had to really struggle to get it all lined up before it set, and I wasn't too successful. Also, on the Aspy, the bolt that goes through the passenger floorboard that holds the muffler on would not fit through the Jardine hole. I struggled with that for 5 mins before I figured out what was going on, sweatin' and a cussin', musta been 98 deg and 99% humidity out there today in the garage. I had a bunch of bolts left over from some of my RX7 junkers so I had smaller ones to fit in place. Whew! what a pita. I'm freakin beat.
Anyway, I can definitely say the bike doesn't sound like a VW. More like a 4 cyl Porsche, a very nice sport car sound. It is a lot louder than I thought it would be, but I like it. At cruise speed it's not really too loud, but on acceleration you can really hear it. I'll try to get a mp3 or video recorded and post on photobucket, or somewhere, so you all can hear it. It definitely does not sound like a wing.
It did solve my exhaust fume problem, btw. I could never get that stock muffler/header joint to seal properly, even with new gaskets, so I always had fumes in the bubble behind the windshield and I would reek of exhaust fumes, especially when I had the air wings closed.
Another thing to keep in mind about the Jardines, they don't need gaskets or clamps. It is a very close fit on the stock headers and on the cross tube. If I ever take them off for any reason I don't know if I'll put any sealer on them, mebbe some moly lube but that's all.
It'll be interesting to see what effect this has on mpg. I've been getting 39 (real mpg) with stock. I'll keep you all posted.
Only thing is, with the new sound, I like the right hand twisties more than before.
Hope this helps, and I'll get a mp3 or video link posted as soon as I can.
Jim(inSC)
#38 06-19-2009, 08:36 PM,
Just an update for you all. After riding with the Jardines for about 50 miles yesterday I was not liking the sound as it seemed excessive to me. So, I asked my son to ride up and down our road so I could hear what it sounded like, and I must say, it actually sounds very nice and not loud at all. It just seems a lot louder while riding the bike. So, I'll keep them on a while longer. I did win a couple of stock harley mufflers on ebay for 22 bucks so I'll adapt them to fit and try them as well. I needed another exhaust system anyway since I have the project 84 interstate to work on.
Jim(inSC)
#39 06-21-2009, 09:46 AM,
With exhaust changes why the rejetting of the carbs?
Trying to keep the rubber side down and the dummy side up.
Member Iron Butt Association
#40 06-21-2009, 10:14 PM,
Exhaust changes can require the rejetting of some carbs to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio because sometimes stock exhaust is quite restrictive and when you open/modify the exhaust more air can flow through the engine and bigger jets are needed to deliver the proportional amount of fuel to match the air. Fortunately the liquid cooled GL1200 is not hyper sensitive to slight air/fuel changes because it has CV carbs which can compensate a bit mixture wise. The GL1200 also has a very well designed exhaust system and it would be hard to find an aftermarket pipe that would give such a great balance between noise and power unless you went with a 4 into 1 header. Now if you had an air cooled 2 stroke engine every minor change to the exhaust would necessitate a prompt changing of jets or you could easily melt a piston if it was too lean or if it was too rich you would kill power big time.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#41 06-22-2009, 07:37 AM,
Odds are I will accept my exhaust sound as is. Might be nice to get a LITTLE BIT more.

Not long ago a couple of co-workers with HD's were trying to hassle me. Said stuff about the sound as they twisted throttle. I said, "you got your sound, and I got mine" then I turned up the volume on the Leslie West Rock and Roll Blues I had playing via the FM modulator, sat back on my comfy saddle, and putt putted on out of the parking lot.

Can't touch that!
1985 GL1200a
Live to ride,
Ride to live!
#42 06-24-2009, 03:08 PM,
I know some guys get stock Harley Sportster mufflers on craigslist cheap. Usually about $30 and they have a low throaty sound to them but certainly not too loud. The chrome is excellent and it is a slip on fit if you have a bent adapter made. Try a local muffler shop and maybe they will bend a piece of 1 3/4 inch pipe for you pretty cheap. The bends are different from right to left side.

The PO had removed the baffles on my GL1200 STD and it is only slightly louder than stock but a little meaner sounding. I have also heard of guys buying "Cherry Bomb" auto mufflers and fitting them. I've never heard a set but I understand they are loud but very throaty sounding.

I would love to try a couple of sport bike mufflers, like off of a Hyabusa but they only have one muffler and to find two of them would be a challenge.
#43 10-11-2009, 07:34 PM,
You can buy pairs of Hayabusa mufflers, cheap, all day long on Ebay - they are advertising one used but decent-looking pair right now where bidding starts at $10, shipping $35.
#44 10-12-2009, 09:54 AM,
:?: Does anybody know how the heck does the bikes (1200s) with the Drag Specialties light rail get their exhaust extensions to come out pass the rail ? I have the DS rail and the DS long extensions and I can bearly see them after I installed the light rail .

I see some with the same set up as I have and the extensions come out pass the rail :!:
#45 04-19-2010, 02:24 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How I got a few more years out of my stock Honda exhaust admin 17 11,828 04-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Last Post: admin