Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Painting my Goldwing: kinda live updated :P
Jim Penner Wrote:I am planning on painting my wing in the next few weeks. You did not mention anything about removing the old striping that was on the bike. Did you sand it off or remove it in another way? This is the main stumbling block to my getting ready to tackle the job. Any advice would be great. I plan on taking everything off to paint, including the fairing.

i sanded it
its funny i started sanding the stripping and my plan was to get to the background color then just clearcoat of polish without the lines.

but after much sanding i got to the plastic on some parts that i decided to paint the whole thing
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#16 03-04-2008, 07:56 PM,
wayne peppers Wrote:Did you or are you painting other parts of the bike like the frame etc...?

Wayne
i already finished the project, i painted all plastic parts of the bike, frame and engine remained the same color.
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#17 03-04-2008, 07:57 PM,
INS AND OUTS OF SAFE PAINTING

I posted the following elsewhere -- but it is posted again here for everyone interested iin painting to see.

An authoritative Web site lists the standard Wing paints and their code
Steve Saunders who researched ALL Wing paints
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/8357.html">http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/8357.html</a><!-- m -->

But before thinking about doing your own painting, read

"How to Paint Your Motorcycle"

and

"How to Custom Paint Your Motorcycle"

both by world class bike painter JoAnn Bortles

which can be had in good used condition from Amazon.com for about ten bucks apiece.

Words of caution: You'll need special equipment and someplace away from people and pets PLUS -- if you ever wish to ride again -- a high quality personal respirator, fitted with the correct canisters for protection against toxic fumes, and properly used! [The solvent fumes from the lacquer can kill you -- I write this as a retired medical research scientist for 40 years, and institutional safety officer responsible for 3,500 laboratory workers]

Turn to Page 17 and read under Safety from a posted online copy of JoAnn's book telling a sad story of what happened to her!

Best wishes for a happy and SAFE Labor Day (I'm taking it easy -- earned it),

Granpah

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#18 09-07-2009, 01:01 PM,