Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Painting my Goldwing: kinda live updated :P
Hello i decided to totaly repaint my goldwing.. well just the fairing, covers, saddlebags and fenders. im going to post pics as my project is going.. i just thought it would be nice to share my first "big" project on this bike with all of you Smile

so to get started.. you need to remove everything you want to pain off the bike.. so here we go :p

[Image: img1879wf3.jpg]
[Image: img1871ej5.jpg]
[Image: img1872uf8.jpg]
[Image: img1874rr6.jpg]
[Image: img1875di2.jpg]

please dont mind the mess arround my workshop :oops:

[Image: img1884oq5.jpg]
[Image: img1883pl9.jpg]

the parts i removed. need to sandpaper them tomorrow, also gonna repair the left sandlebag, the bottom of it is broken. the trunk has a few flaws, the right side cover is repaired, gonna enforce it. and the left side cover is "home made" gonna fix it so it looks more to the stock one i hope i can get it all done by tomorrow and ill be painting her at sunday Smile

some of the nuts bolts and lil things ;p

[Image: img1897bv8.jpg]
[Image: img1895fd2.jpg]

and some of the parts i will just clean and polish

[Image: img1898xe3.jpg]
[Image: img1896cg2.jpg]
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#1 10-25-2007, 07:48 PM,
that color it would be?
#2 10-26-2007, 12:54 AM,
Good luck with it, William. You're a braver man than me.
#3 10-26-2007, 09:13 AM,
i went to the dupont store this morning and i picked a color from a Chrysler car its called "indigo blue metallic". il probably buy it till next week x( ill work on the sandpapering until then x)

she should look like this car when shes finished Smile

[Image: fotocarenscolor001730baco6.jpg]
#4 10-26-2007, 01:33 PM,
Whats up I'm going to post a few pics of the work I've done on the left side cover (battery cover).. this is not the stock cover, the PO made it off an original one with glass fiber . but since he didn't removed the emblems they got printed on the new cover. so i had to fix that so my cover would look way better Smile, the hole on the first pic is because this cover is hold to the bike by a butterfly nut. it know it looks a bit ugly but this way i wont lose the cover like almost everybody does ;p

after:

[Image: img1906ub9.jpg]

working on it:

[Image: img1907zd8.jpg]

after sandpapering:

[Image: img1908cc8.jpg]
[Image: img1912xd8.jpg]
[Image: img1910gv9.jpg]
#5 10-28-2007, 02:18 PM,
Good luck with the project. I look forward to seeing the finished project. From what I can tell, the chrome looks to be in good shape. After sitting for a couple years, most of mine has quite a bit of rust at all the joints. I sure hope to replace it or rechrome it when I can afford it.
#6 10-29-2007, 05:52 AM,
hi there, today i removed the lights and everything i would not pain on the fairing and sandpapered it, it is ready, the whole thing is ready, I've completed the job of sandpapering, tomorrow or, after tomorrow ill be painting Smile.

some pics of the fairing finished.

[Image: img1917lg6.jpg]
[Image: img1915rb6.jpg]
[Image: img1916vt2.jpg]
#7 10-30-2007, 07:37 PM,
what I hated about repainting mine was all those nooks and crannies that were darn near imposible to sand.... especially as I was repainting over a previously repainting which had a urethane clear coat over a laquer base.... any of you who paint know ALL the clear coat had to come off the laquer our any new paint would lift
78 GL1000 (original owner), 86 1200 with motorvation sidecar (wife's), 05 Road King, and 75 frame and lots of parts
state map: "Lots"-all states if you indlude all my bikes
#8 12-14-2007, 07:35 AM,
You're doing a great job William_86. It's a lot of work but it will be worth it in the end if you do it right. Holler if you need any tips.

Here's some shots of mine when I was making it yellow six years ago;
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://picasaweb.google.com/Goldwinger1984/PaintingAGoldWing">http://picasaweb.google.com/Goldwinger1 ... gAGoldWing</a><!-- m -->
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#9 12-14-2007, 11:31 AM,
i waster 1 liter of black color
1.4 of the clear coat
1/8 of pearl powder for the clear coat
lots of sandpapering ;P

wasted like 60 bucks. the clear coat is Dupont the black paint cant remember, but she looks rly good.

finished her like 5 weeks ago but the weather as been rly ugly and the emblems were not on yet, also needed to wait 1 month to polish the paint and haven't had time to take her to a nice place for photo shooting ;P
#10 12-14-2007, 01:06 PM,
Interesting posts in this section about paint. Glad to see them.

My original paint (factory deep purple and brown two-tone) has been bleached by the sun and I was thinking of repainting it.

I have had one of the saddlebags off before, figure the other side will be as much "fun".

Had most of the front "stuff" off with the Poorboy install.

So I have experience removing the "paintable" stuff off except for the Front Fender, Trunk and Front Top Fairing.

Am not concerned about the trunk and front fender unless somebody gives me a horror story but the front fairing . . .

I noticed you left yours on when painting. I know taking it off would be better but it looks like a lot of work.

Is the front fairing really a bear to get off and on? Can you "get to" all of it for prep work and paint with the fairing on?

I was thinking of a BRIGHT RED, think "brake light on" BRIGHT RED with a yellow tint in the clear coat.

Maybe in the early spring or summer when I get some time off. Probably takes a LONG time for this looking at
  • what has to come off,
    prep,
    prep again,
    make darn sure on the prep,
    paint,
    reinstall. [/list:u]
    Are we talking a good month - month and a half of steady work (after work)?

Thanks
85 & 93 Aspencade's
#11 01-25-2008, 09:35 PM,
Well. the fairing itself, doesn't need to be removed, as you can paint everything that will be visible. it is not that hard to remove it. i just didn't wanted to mess with all the wiring, also, its big and heavy and its easier to work on it on the bike.

[Image: img1959jk1.jpg]
[Image: img1962xu0.jpg]

blue pearl was added to the clear coat
[Image: img1967ua3.jpg]

[Image: img1969qj4.jpg]

about ur questions about the front fender.. you need to remove the wheel to remove it. to remove the wheel you need to remove both brake calipers and you're done.

to install it you want to be really careful cuz its easy to damage the new paint, i suggest you to cover it with a towel, you set it in place, remove the towel and then you can bolt it to the legs. not a big deal , it took me 3 weeks to complete this task. the paint bill was $630 MX ( $60usd) (2 litters of black, 1 litter of clear coat and the stabilizer? (it is mixed 50%50%) and 1 oz of pearl powder plus maybe 10-15 usd on sand paper, thiner and some bondo to repair some parts, as such as the side covers and other small things.
#12 01-26-2008, 02:16 AM,
William_86 Wrote:The fairing itself, doesn't need to be removed, as you can paint everything that will be visible. it is not that hard to remove it. i just didn't wanted to mess with all the wiring, also, its big and heavy and its easier to work on it on the bike.

about ur questions about the front fender.. you need to remove the wheel to remove it. to remove the wheel you need to remove both brake calipers and you're done. to install it you want to be really careful cuz its easy to damage the new paint, i suggest you to cover it with a towel, you set it in place, remove the towel and then you can bolt it to the legs.

It took me 3 weeks to complete this task. the paint bill was $630 MX ( $60usd) (2 litters of black, 1 litter of clear coat and the stabilizer? (it is mixed 50%50%) and 1 oz of pearl powder plus maybe 10-15 usd on sand paper, thiner and some bondo to repair some parts, as such as the side covers and other small things.
Thanks for the great info and tips. Experience is a heckuva teacher huh? How many coats of clear did you add?

I have been SO IMPRESSED with the pictures of everybody's bikes. Probably going to get this name close but not right . . .

LONGHAIRDEB's bike looked GREAT, as does yours, as does VIC's, etc etc etc.

I bought the Tulsa Windshield, spent $261 for new chrome stuff around the windshield and that is going to look great.

I LOVE this bike and since I have another Aspencade to ride, might just do it up right and paint it before the riding season gets well into swing.

Need to wait for warmer weather to paint as I will be doing it in the garage but can start getting ready I guess.

THANKS AGAIN.
85 & 93 Aspencade's
#13 01-26-2008, 02:12 PM,
I am planning on painting my wing in the next few weeks. You did not mention anything about removing the old striping that was on the bike. Did you sand it off or remove it in another way? This is the main stumbling block to my getting ready to tackle the job. Any advice would be great. I plan on taking everything off to paint, including the fairing.
Jim Penner
Walkerton, Ontario
84 Interstate
#14 02-28-2008, 12:19 PM,
Did you or are you painting other parts of the bike like the frame etc...?

Wayne
#15 03-03-2008, 03:41 PM,