Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
pulling the right head on my 84--help please
this will be the first time for me trying to do this myself--can someone who knows more give me a step by step on this--any help you can give me would be great Smile
Wyatt from Az.

Wyatt Earp--Wyatt Earp
brave,courageous and bold
long live his fame & long live his glory
and long may his story be told

'84 Aspencade--Pearl Saturn Red
#1 10-12-2007, 08:57 AM,
Are you ever lucky, I am in the midst of pulling mine off (both)

drain oil

drain rad

if you have running boards (remove)
remove false tank and seat and side covers. and inner covers

remove neg lead from battery (safety)

remove rad (take off hose from overflow tank and rad cap and loosen and remove hoses.) (unplug fan)

take off lower engine mount nuts and remove engine guards (right side not bad but I find I need to lower the exhaust headers to remove left side.

pray (and loosen exhaust nuts) hopefully if they are tight they will just remove the stud where you can then loosen the nuts at the bench.
remove rear exhaust bolts and drop exhaust.

take out spark plugs

remove front timing belt covers

Loosen driven pulley nuts ( made a jig but you may be able to loosen them without (hold crankshaft if it turns) they are not too tight.

If your belts are not being replaced ( I just did mine a few months ago ) mark them right and left and rotation direction.

after 84 remove pulse generators

loosen tensioner pulleys and remove belts

pull off driven pulleys (can be snug but will come off with patience) and a little wd40 squirted in the keyway.

take off covers behind pulleys

take of cam shaft cover at back of cylinder head

Remove cylinder head covers

Remove bolts holding intake (8)

use bungee and tie up carbs

remove 7 bolts holding cylinder head (there is a sneaky one underneath not mentioned in the Honda Manual

I just used a rubber mallet and the head loosened off easily.

There is a tiny oil orifice at the top of the head dont loose it

dont try to undo the bolts holding the water intake the head will come off along with the water pipe.

If you need some pictures let me know.

I think I covered everything if not post back

I am not touching my valves so am not covering that part, just replacing head gaskets and other stuff

You will need to replace several O rings etc including the oil orifice (2 per side)

Part numbers can be found on the net
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 10-12-2007, 10:01 AM,