Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Hydraulic Lifters...tick, tick, tick
I know they're non-adjustable, but...

I want to eliminate the annoying ticking sound. I plan to do the work this winter. What will I be getting into? likely parts replacements? special tools? difficulty?

Any help out there?

Thanks,
Don
#1 01-07-2007, 05:53 PM,
Hello Don. Welcome to the best GL1200 forum on the net. The only thing you need to stop those lifters from ticking is a set of feeler gauges. I'm at work right now and can't remember the exact procedure, but the Clymers manual has an excellent section on setting the valves to stop the tick. It may be posted on here somewhere already.

Actually here's an explanation that I picked up from the Steve Saunders sight courtesy of philcsand.

Ok, so I was reading through my clymer manual, and I came across something that I thought I'd share. (By the way, yes, I do READ my service manuals... I keep them in the bathroom when I'm not using them.)

Anyhow, class turn your books to page 57 in the First edition, sixth printing. Heading "Tappet Noise".

For those of you who forgot to bring your books to class, here is the synopsis:

If you are getting tappet noise, the exhaust rocker arm shaft center collar clearence may be off. Honda claims that the clearence between both exhaust rockers and the center coller must be exactly equal, otherwise the tappets will not behave properly, and won't be able to maintian a zero clearence.

Procedure to fix:

Remove the cover from the side that is making the noise. (The 4 allen bolts.)

Check the clearance between the exhaust rockers and the center collar. On 1984 and 1985 bikes, the clearence should be .10 mm. Use 2 feeler guages, so you can check the clearence on both at the same time. (This is important.) On 1986 and 1987 this clearence is between .30 and .35mm.

If the spacing is not correct (one side has more clearence than the other) do the following:

Loosen the "center lower bolt" on the camshaft holder. This is the bolt that is directly above and in the center of the exhaust rocker arms. Adjust the center coller to bring it into specifications, and then re-torque the center bolt to 25 NM / 18 FtLbs. while keeping the feeler guages in place.

If you need more information, look in the clymer manual, in the engine section.
Bob Smith
2000 Aspencade - Mine
2009 Shadow Aero Touring - Hers
2000 Shadow ACE 750 - Sons
http://picasaweb.google.com/goldwings4ever/
#2 01-07-2007, 07:22 PM,
Thanks Bob.

Don
#3 01-07-2007, 09:26 PM,
Welcome drx44420
The valves are indeed not adjustable,but there is a procedure for shimming the cam followers(which basicaly achieves the same thing)There is however a Honda tool for measuring to get the proper shim.I haven't actualy done it myself but have seen the tool in the repair manual.Vic should be along soon and has probably done the procedure and can tell you if there is away around getting the tool.Good Luck.
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#4 01-08-2007, 08:07 PM,
Dose it hurt the engine to have it tapping or is it something that should be fixed ASAP?
#5 01-08-2007, 11:56 PM,
My bike rattles like a bag of bolts, I turn the radio up and ride.

190,000 and counting.
#6 01-09-2007, 07:23 AM,
quakeholio

If the wallet will alow it I would recommend repairing it asap.The cam,cam followers and the rest of the valve train will wear faster with the excess play.The repair at a later date would be a lot more costly if the cams are worn bad.Saying all that I would not stop riding it if I couldn't do it now,but at least you know what you could be into.
Fatwing Chris
#7 01-09-2007, 06:11 PM,
I guess depending on how noisey it is,maybe a different oil would quiet it down a bit also.I'm pretty sure JC Cycle is Wasaga Beach(he specializes in Wings)recommends shimming the valves fairly regularly.It seems like every time I stop in he has a couple 1200's in the shop with the valve covers off.
Fatwing Chris
#8 01-09-2007, 06:19 PM,