Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Step by step on synchronizing my carbs
I did a sync yesterday for the first time.

I did not have the owners manual to the motion pro but filled it with a new charge of liquid.

I ASSUMED that you dialed the adjustment screws on the pro to make all fluid equal.

To do this I turned the screws all the way down.

Then I adjusted the rest to the level of the lowest one.

I synced twice and feel I got it spot on.

Bubbles did show up and I was able to get rid of them with a few blips of the throttle.

Did I guess the right initial instructions?

If so my #3 was way off....went for a 80 mile ride and it sure felt good.
#46 05-04-2008, 09:15 AM,
Yes it sounds right to me Marty. The sync pro does work great. If you are like me there is a big difference after a sync, it feels like a new bike. Glad you are happy with it.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#47 05-04-2008, 11:00 AM,
I had the same problem Bluewing. I got the crab's to come in at idle,but had a hard time getting them to do this part.
Quote:Using your throttle lock set your idle for 2900 rpm and fine tune the carbs as even as possible using the same procedure
I had to run it a very long time and I started to get the break up of the blue liquid,never got them to a point I was happy with at 2900 rpm's so I decided to just get them in at idle.

Joe
#48 05-04-2008, 01:15 PM,
hmmm I did it at 1900 rpm's.

That ok?
#49 05-04-2008, 01:52 PM,
Hi Lane:
Apparently before we do any calabration we are supposed to turn the screws on the tool counter clockwise all the way out to make sure all the blue Koolaid returns to the holding tanks thus removing all air pockets. Then we calabrate and proceed with sync.
I had mine running for a long time as well and it seemed to be ok.
I'm getting great millage now although I seem to be getting a little valve pinging. I wonder if I have it a little too lean???
I'll run another tank through and check the plugs for too lean a mixture although I followed the 50 Rpm drop procudure and it seemed to work out ok.
The journey chosen will determine the destination.
#50 05-04-2008, 06:47 PM,
Thanks for the tip bluesman I will try that, it does make sense.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#51 05-04-2008, 07:57 PM,
I was going by the book on the RPM, it said to set at idle first then set it at between 2800 and 3000 RPM because that is your normal cruising RPM and the sync should be at its closest there. It looks like Bluesman has the answer to the liquid breaking up on his reply. Turn the calabration screws all the way counter clockwise before calabrating to get rid of the air.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#52 05-04-2008, 08:06 PM,
Okay, My buddy and I sync'd the carbs on the 'Wing and it seemed to go quite well. I was surprised how closely the carbs were matched at the outset but we felt adjustment was still needed. I won't be test riding her until tomorrow but she seems to idle and rev noticeably smoother. I also upped the idle from 840 rpm to 1,000. This is a picture of the CarbTune gauges when we finished:

[attachment=0]

Any closer and it would have required a brain surgeon's touch!

Did we do good?

Attached Files
.jpg   CarbSync.jpg (Size: 104.32 KB / Downloads: 135)
#53 05-09-2008, 07:09 PM,
keener Wrote:Okay, My buddy and I sync'd the carbs on the 'Wing and it seemed to go quite well. I was surprised how closely the carbs were matched at the outset but we felt adjustment was still needed. I won't be test riding her until tomorrow but she seems to idle and rev noticeably smoother. I also upped the idle from 840 rpm to 1,000. This is a picture of the CarbTune gauges when we finished:

[attachment=0]

Any closer and it would have required a brain surgeon's touch!

Did we do good?

That is fantastic Ian, you can't get it any better than that. Will you let us know how it turned out after you next ride.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#54 05-09-2008, 07:52 PM,
NICE!!!!
#55 05-09-2008, 10:39 PM,
I got a short test run in today - before the skies opened up - and must report she is noticeably smoother and quieter. Maybe not much, but enough so's I noticed. Accelerates and decelerates better, too.

Overall, I'm very pleased and want to thank Lane for providing the impetus to get it done!
#56 05-10-2008, 02:22 PM,
Excelent, that's great Ian.
It just goes to show everyone......Making sure that your carbs are in Sync. makes a big difference in performance and fuel ecomony.
I'll repeat again, anyone in or around the Georgetown area, I'd be glad to give you a hand with your Sync.
Just P.M. me and we can set it up.

I just got 53.5 MPG out of my last tank,( ok, I cheated sort of. I was running a bit lean. still have to tweak a little. ) The important thing is that I went from about 44mpg to 50 plus half Hwy and half city and still using more choke then normal because of cool weather still in the morning.
Part of that improvement is because of an accurate sync job. Another thing that helped is that I also fixed an issue with some parts in my carbs which I will be posting in the Tech. section as soon as I get a chance, that I think you will all find interesting.....I hope.

Ride safe everyone.
The journey chosen will determine the destination.
#57 05-10-2008, 06:08 PM,
You are very welcome Ian, I am glad you got some good out of it. It is a wonderful feeling when you do some work on your bike and you notice an improvement for your efforts.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#58 05-10-2008, 07:15 PM,
Bluesman614 Wrote:Excelent, that's great Ian.
It just goes to show everyone......Making sure that your carbs are in Sync. makes a big difference in performance and fuel ecomony.
I'll repeat again, anyone in or around the Georgetown area, I'd be glad to give you a hand with your Sync.
Just P.M. me and we can set it up.

I just got 53.5 MPG out of my last tank,( ok, I cheated sort of. I was running a bit lean. still have to tweak a little. ) The important thing is that I went from about 44mpg to 50 plus half Hwy and half city and still using more choke then normal because of cool weather still in the morning.
Part of that improvement is because of an accurate sync job. Another thing that helped is that I also fixed an issue with some parts in my carbs which I will be posting in the Tech. section as soon as I get a chance, that I think you will all find interesting.....I hope.

Ride safe everyone.

Way to go Bluesman, 53.5 miles per gal is great, that’s over 9 miles per gal saving. I can't wait to see your posting in the Tech section, with the price of gas now a days we need all the help we can get. It’s also good to know your bike is performing at its best.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#59 05-10-2008, 07:24 PM,
hmmmmmm....better do mine again!!!

Was 37.5mpg today 30.78 ouch!
#60 05-11-2008, 03:51 PM,