Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Step by step on synchronizing my carbs
I had some concerns with the performance of my bike; the throttle response was not right there was a lack of power and unevenness when I gave it gas. The idle was a bit rough and my gas mileage was at about 41 mpg. I decided to sync the carbs to try and solve some of this. I checked the price to get it done and it was from $100. to $150. I went with buying a manometer my self @ $120, I got Motion Pro 08-0411 mercury free, it uses propylene glycol non toxic fluid, see pick below.
[Image: Manometer-copy-copy.jpg]
After reading about the meter and the manual on how to sync the GL1200 carbs, here I go for my first carb sync.
First check and make sure your air filter is clean
Make sure you are working in a well ventilated area.
Point a fan in front of your rad to help control the heat.
Warm the bike to normal operating temperature. If you have an Aspencade remove the left and right lower faring covers. Then I calibrated my manometer, just follow the directions that come with the meter. I then removed the vacume plugs on each carb and installed the 4 adapters, one in each carb. Then I put the 4 vacume hoses on the adapters, the hose from the first tube on carb #1 and from the second tube on carb #2 and so on. See pic below.
[Image: 100_1564-copy.jpg]
Start the bike and keep it at idle, do not rev the motor and let go of the throttle quickly or you could suck the liquid into your motor, this manometer does have restrictors to prevent this but I would be careful anyway. This won't harm your motor but your manometer will not work until you put replacement liquid back in it. Keep it at about 1000 rpm and look at the gauge to see how even the carbs are by the height if each row of liquid, see pic below, this is how far out my carbs were.
[Image: 100_1557-copy.jpg]
#4 carb does not have an adjustment; you have to sync carbs 1,2 and 3 to match carb # 4. Start with carb # 2, turn the sync adjustment screw until it matches carb # 4, See pic below
[Image: 100_1561-copy.jpg]
slowly rev the motor up slightly and readjust as needed, slightly revving the motor after every adjustment. Do the same procedure on # 1 carb then # 3 carb. This can sometime take a few tries before you get it even. Using your throttle lock set your idle for 2900 rpm and fine tune the carbs as even as possible using the same procedure. see pic below.
[Image: 100_1558-copy.jpg]
This is the order of the cylinders, sitting on the bike.
Left front # 2
Left rear # 4
Right front # 1
Right rear # 3

Once that is done shut off the bike, take the vacume lines off, remove the adapters, and install the vacume plugs, make sure not to loose the washers on the plugs and firmly install them. Replace any parts you took of the bike and you are ready to go.

I just got back from my first ride after the carbs were done; I have to say this has been a complete success. My bike has never run like this since I have had it. The throttle response is amazing; the bike has way more power and a lot smoother. This is a very noticeable difference; even the sound is more throaty and even. The Motion Pro manometer is very easy to use and I am glad I have it. I highly recommend this procedure to any of you who haven'€™t had it done in the last year.

SEE ATTACHED FILES
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#1 08-31-2007, 09:15 PM,
Well done Lane and very close on the synch. Almost a professional presentation. The only things I would add is to make sure that you ventilate your garage very well and that you run a fan in front of your radiator so your engine doesn't get too hot.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 09-01-2007, 09:16 AM,
admin Wrote:Well done Lane and very close on the synch. Almost a professional presentation. The only things I would add is to make sure that you ventilate your garage very well and that you run a fan in front of your radiator so your engine doesn't get too hot.

Thanks Vic, you are right about the ventilation and the fan I had both of my roll up shop doors open and a 2 foot wide fan pointed at my rad, even at that I had to watch the heat of the motor. I just edited my presintation and added the two issues to it.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#3 09-01-2007, 10:23 AM,
A good job.
Just a question on the pics.
They open up very very slowly on my computer, I notice the have a .png extension. If the were converted to jpg's before loading them to imagecave they would open faster.
Unless it's my computer just wondering.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 09-01-2007, 01:33 PM,
Thanks tricky, I didn't notice that the pics were that slow. I made them a bit smaller and changed them to jpg's, they are much faster now.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#5 09-01-2007, 02:49 PM,
Very nice presentation!!!!

Thanks for taking the time....
#6 09-01-2007, 05:52 PM,
Tropicalsuns Wrote:Very nice presentation!!!!

Thanks for taking the time....

Your welcome, I enjoyed it.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#7 09-01-2007, 06:14 PM,
I have an up date on how my wing is running after I did carb synchronization. My wife and I went 350 km; I filled the gas tank to the top before we left. We went 175 km and filled it again, it took 10.99 liters. We drove home, 176 km. I filled it again and it took 11 liters even. If I worked this out right I am getting about 51 mpg. Before I did the carbs I was getting 41. I don't have to gear down as much; there is more power on the hills. The bike starts faster and runs smoother than before. One more thing, before I did the carbs when I was gearing down to come to a stop I was getting some popping and back firing. I was not getting this today at all. Does anyone know if syncing the carbs could have anything to do with this?
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#8 09-02-2007, 04:14 PM,
That sounds typical Lane, especially if they are out by a great margin.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#9 09-02-2007, 04:19 PM,
nice job Lane.
I might just try doing that myself next time. thanks for taking the time to post. if we keep this up, we could take all the projects and tips here and publish one heck of a book!
:lol:
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#10 09-02-2007, 06:02 PM,
I have a carb sync in my near future and a posting like this sure gives me confidence to jump on it. Thanks for all the information.
#11 09-05-2007, 04:33 PM,
I am looking for one of those tools right now.
I had a sync done but I am pretty sure it wasn't accurate.
The journey chosen will determine the destination.
#12 09-10-2007, 01:11 PM,
Bluesman614 Wrote:I am looking for one of those tools right now.
I had a sync done but I am pretty sure it wasn't accurate.

Try this web site.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/syncpro%3Csup%3Eandtrade;%3C-sup%3E/">http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/too ... 3C-sup%3E/</a><!-- m -->
I think you can order one from most bike shops. I got mine from Cameron Cycles in Peterborough Ont. (705) 876-1171
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#13 09-10-2007, 04:10 PM,
What size adapters is needed for the 1200? I see several listed for this product.

I was excited to hear this solved your "popping" problem. I have the exact same thing happening. NOW, I know how to solve it.

Thanks!
Bob
#14 10-06-2007, 10:00 PM,
Thanks for the post Lane. I'm sure I will be refering to it in the near future!
#15 10-06-2007, 10:19 PM,