Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Step by step on synchronizing my carbs
Tropicalsuns Wrote:hmmmmmm....better do mine again!!!

Was 37.5mpg today 30.78 ouch!

Don't forget Marty, Bluesman is talking about Canadian Gallons and you are talking US gallons. US gal is 3.78 liters and a Canadian gal is 4.54 liters. That would make you mileage look a lot better.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#61 05-11-2008, 07:24 PM,
bluewing Wrote:

Don't forget Marty, Bluesman is talking about Canadian Gallons and you are talking US gallons. US gal is 3.78 liters and a Canadian gal is 4.54 liters. That would make you mileage look a lot better.

I understand that.

My bike got 37.5 before the sync and 30.78 after on essentially the same ride.
#62 05-11-2008, 07:51 PM,
Tropicalsuns Wrote:
bluewing Wrote:

I understand that.

My bike got 37.5 before the sync and 30.78 after on essentially the same ride.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#63 05-11-2008, 10:35 PM,
I have made the gauge for four carb, now what is the differance using the homemade unit or buying one
[Image: us-cANADA.jpg]
1978 Goldwing GL1000
1985 Goldwing GL1200A
#64 05-13-2008, 01:18 PM,
Here's something for you to check.
I was getting a raw fuel smell out of the back of mine when riding (as was told to me by my friend who I ride with).
When I did my carbs I had to replace the needles underneith the diaphragms because they had a flat spot worn in them causing too much fuel to flow when the main jets were opened.

First, put in a clean air filter. Then get someone to ride behind you to check.( Give it a good run as well). If there is a fuel smell, you are either running too rich or your needles are worn. This is a common problem with these wings. The way to check is to remove the 4 screws on one of the carb covers, ( which ever one has easier access), Be carefull when you take the cover off noting where the notch in the cover is lined up with groove in the diaphragm. Install the same way.
There is a large spring inside the cover. Remove it carefully.
Next, carefully lift out the diaphragm as not to damage the rubber seal. If you break it you will need a new diaphragm. Mine came out no problem, just be carefull and take your time. Once you have it out the needle is sticking out the bottom. To remove it, take a phillips screw driver and inside the tube using light pressure, push down on the plastic screw and turn counterclock wise 1/4 turn. Now, remove the plastic screw, small spring ( do not loose ), and the needle.
Now you can check it.
First, see if there are any grooves worn around it.
Second, spin it with your fingers of one hand while holding it lightly with the fingers of your other hand to check for a flat spot. Check carefully as any ware will affect your millage.
If they are worn, they need to be replaced. OEM are no longer avalable from Honda however they are still avalable from the company that made the carbs.

I have the info somewhere here if you need it. PM me and I'll get it for you.

That is what I found with my carbs.
They are fixed. I'm getting great millage ( 50+ ) and no more raw fuel smell. It's going to be a good Summer Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I hope this helps anyone out there having the same problem
The journey chosen will determine the destination.
#65 05-13-2008, 01:28 PM,
Bluesman614 Wrote:Here's something for you to check.
I was getting a raw fuel smell out of the back of mine when riding (as was told to me by my friend who I ride with).
When I did my carbs I had to replace the needles underneith the diaphragms because they had a flat spot worn in them causing too much fuel to flow when the main jets were opened.

First, put in a clean air filter. Then get someone to ride behind you to check.( Give it a good run as well). If there is a fuel smell, you are either running too rich or your needles are worn. This is a common problem with these wings. The way to check is to remove the 4 screws on one of the carb covers, ( which ever one has easier access), Be carefull when you take the cover off noting where the notch in the cover is lined up with groove in the diaphragm. Install the same way.
There is a large spring inside the cover. Remove it carefully.
Next, carefully lift out the diaphragm as not to damage the rubber seal. If you break it you will need a new diaphragm. Mine came out no problem, just be carefull and take your time. Once you have it out the needle is sticking out the bottom. To remove it, take a phillips screw driver and inside the tube using light pressure, push down on the plastic screw and turn counterclock wise 1/4 turn. Now, remove the plastic screw, small spring ( do not loose ), and the needle.
Now you can check it.
First, see if there are any grooves worn around it.
Second, spin it with your fingers of one hand while holding it lightly with the fingers of your other hand to check for a flat spot. Check carefully as any ware will affect your millage.
If they are worn, they need to be replaced. OEM are no longer avalable from Honda however they are still avalable from the company that made the carbs.

I have the info somewhere here if you need it. PM me and I'll get it for you.

That is what I found with my carbs.
They are fixed. I'm getting great millage ( 50+ ) and no more raw fuel smell. It's going to be a good Summer Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I hope this helps anyone out there having the same problem

Thanks Bluesman, I am going to try that myself, that is great info. I will PM you for the info so I can order the parts and keep them on hand.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#66 05-13-2008, 02:23 PM,
I synced my carbs last evening.
I first did it at an idle then at 3000 rpm.
I rechecked at idle and it was off again.
I Think it would be best to have it synced at 3000rpm since that is where it is driven at.
Am I right in my thinking???
#67 05-14-2008, 06:09 AM,
My opinion would be to have them all working the same at cruising speed.
When I did mine I slowly increased the throttle watching to see if they were close to the same from idle up to cruising speed and holding steady at cruising speed. That way you can see if your carbs are working the same to get you to your final point, ensuring that your cylinders are all working the same. More efficient that way. In my opinion Smile
The journey chosen will determine the destination.
#68 05-14-2008, 11:20 AM,
I have the same opinion as Bluesman. I set mine at idle to get it close then I fine tune at 3000 RPM that is my usual cruising RPM.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#69 05-14-2008, 11:39 AM,
I've just gone through the first tankful of the year and am proud to announce we achieved 49.5 miles per Imperial gallon. I'm sure the carb sync had something to do with that figure. At $1.34 a litre, we need all the help we can get, right?
#70 05-17-2008, 02:20 PM,
Well I spent ALL day doing this yet again.

Each time I was close I had to take apart the meter and get rid off the air bubbles

I am hoping that I IMPROVED my mileage rather than kill it.
#71 05-17-2008, 05:18 PM,
keener Wrote:I've just gone through the first tankful of the year and am proud to announce we achieved 49.5 miles per Imperial gallon. I'm sure the carb sync had something to do with that figure. At $1.34 a litre, we need all the help we can get, right?

Thats great Ian, I am glad to see you are getting such good MPG.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#72 05-17-2008, 11:02 PM,
Hello,

I just Sync mine for the first time. I had a helper try to hold the throttle, but they were unable to hold it at any given RPM and was basically reving the engine while I was trying to sync it.

1. What does everyone use to hold the throttle open.
2. I also noticed that my 5mm adaptors came with a seal(o-ring) The screws that you remove, Are they suppose to have a seal? does this leak? do you put a sealant on the screw to keep from having a vacuum leak?

Thanks

Westwing
#73 05-25-2008, 09:27 AM,
[quote="westwing"]Hello,

I just Sync mine for the first time. I had a helper try to hold the throttle, but they were unable to hold it at any given RPM and was basically reving the engine while I was trying to sync it.

1. What does everyone use to hold the throttle open.
2. I also noticed that my 5mm adaptors came with a seal(o-ring) The screws that you remove, Are they suppose to have a seal? does this leak? do you put a sealant on the screw to keep from having a vacuum leak?

Thanks Westwing

Hi westwing. I use my throttle lock to hold it open, the lever just in front of your throttle. The 5 MM adapters do come with 0 rings but the screws that you remove have flat washers on them, no sealant is needed, just the washers, make sure you don't loose the washers or you will have to replace them.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#74 05-25-2008, 02:23 PM,
Hi Bluewing,

where is the throttle lock? Is that an after market item I have to buy?

If it came with my bike where do I find it??

Thanks

Westwing
#75 05-25-2008, 06:45 PM,