Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
1985 GL1200 Carb. Rebuild
Andrew at Classic Wrote:
admin Wrote:I would drill and pull out the plugs on the air mixture screws William then you can set the carbs perfectly after the rebuild. Count the number of turns it takes to close each screw lightly and record this so you know where to put them upon reinstall.

Oddly enough, you're actually better off setting the pilot screws to the suggested setting found in the factory shop manual. I have no idea why, but the factory setting on 'virgin" carburetors can be way off. We've seen this many times.

That's fine for pros like me and you but William is a beginner and he needs a static setting to start with otherwise he could find that he has an engine that won't run at all that's why I suggested he return to the same settings that he had when the engine ran good then he could optimize from there.

At this site we try to look out for the guys and not just try to dazzle them with our know how.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#31 02-02-2008, 09:37 AM,
admin Wrote:At this site we try to look out for the guys and not just try to dazzle them with our know how.

OK, and your point is?

We always return GL1200 carburetors to the stock initial setting. As in hundreds of times without any problems. So now, William has 2 options.

Please pardon the name change, but I had a problem and had no way to even ask for help.
#32 02-02-2008, 06:53 PM,
The point is try to be nice to people. Big Grin

What problem were you having but couldn't get help with?

#33 02-02-2008, 07:36 PM,
Is it just me, or can anybody else see the pics in L.E.D.tech's original post??? I have tried three different computers and all of them show the text and the graphic place holder but not the picture.
#34 08-01-2008, 05:06 PM,
kwatts Wrote:Is it just me, or can anybody else see the pics in L.E.D.tech's original post??? I have tried three different computers and all of them show the text and the graphic place holder but not the picture.
They don't show up on mine either.
“A good traveler has no fixed plans,and is not intent on arriving”~ Lao Tzu ~
[Image: 16hvxut.jpg]
[Image: 15r1pnl.jpg]
In Stable
1985 GL1200 Interstate(RIP)
2003 Yamaha Midnight Venture
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650(Wife's Bike)
#35 08-01-2008, 05:20 PM,
Maybe L.E.D.tech deleted them?
#36 08-02-2008, 02:09 PM,
I can't see them either.

#37 08-02-2008, 04:46 PM,
Two things, just wrapped my first carb rebuild and aside from being rather lengthy wasn't at all the horrible experience I was expecting, however, now the bike won't start. I set the pilot screws at 1.5 turns like they were when I pulled them and get nearly nothing. When I go to 2 full turns like the manual says the bike starts but isn't running solidly. I spent a lot of time with each jet port in the carbs boiling twice and hitting with 100 psi on all openings to force out anything. The main jets are crystal clear, the only question I had was with the slow jet are you supposed to be able to see through the length of the shaft or just the 2 pairs of holes set 90 degrees off from each other, I poked a bit but didn't want to get too forceful in there. Once I get her running I can tweak things back to where they should be its just strange that so far I have nothing. Any suggestions on things I may have missed?
Info on the bike and rebuild
85 Interstate with carbs off an 86 Aspencade. Jets are spec for the aspencade. I used 4 honda oem carb kits along with intake o-rings from george fix's on ebay, ( he's done well for me with gaskets before). Carb to plenum gaskets I replaced with a set of o-rings from an auto shop they fit perfectly though and we went through multiple times with the micrometer to ensure a proper match. New vacuum lines and verified 5 times to ensure I had good seal and proper routing.
I appreciate any and all help, I'll be back in the garage in the morning just couldn't work anymore tonight without bothering the neighbors so thought I'd consult the oracles.
Thanks again for any and all help you guys can provide.
#38 07-30-2009, 09:30 PM,
luceres Wrote:the only question I had was with the slow jet are you supposed to be able to see through the length of the shaft or just the 2 pairs of holes set 90 degrees off from each other
In a word....YES! You should have a total of eight holes on the perimeter of the tube, AND be able able to see daylight through the length (center) of the shaft.
#39 07-30-2009, 09:40 PM,
Whats the best way to clear through the hole along the length of the shaft on the slow jet? The main was easy but on the slow I tried fishline guitar string etc anything pliable but stiff and couldn't get it through, also tried 120 psi after soaking the slow jet in carb cleaner. Like I said the holes from side to side are perfect just not the one down the center.
#40 07-31-2009, 04:04 AM,
Would a sewing needle work? How large is the opening supposed to be?
#41 07-31-2009, 04:11 AM,
I'm not recommending this vendor, but jet cleaning kits are available. They are just a knurled stiff wire. Make sure to use the appropriate size.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.economycycle.com/servlet/Detail?no=287">http://www.economycycle.com/servlet/Detail?no=287</a><!-- m -->
#42 07-31-2009, 06:56 AM,
After another removal and investigation the slow jets are now clear I'm stuck with another problem though, the bike is very lacking in power. When I put the carbs back into the bike I checked the slow and main jets to verify they were now clean, again, you can now see easily through the length of the slow jet now, resealed w/ new gaskets on my float bowls and made sure my float needles were moving freely.
Pilot screws are set at 2 turns out and I checked to make sure all the new vacuum lines were holding pressure, solid 15 for ten minutes and will stumble hard when vacuum is applied when running. The bike idles fine and will rev up cleanly, but when you put any weight behind it there is a marked stumbling it will even go so far as to try to stall. You can make up for it by feathering the clutch and keeping the choke out but I'd prefer to get to the bottom of this. Any ideas?
Side note on the bike, as I said the carbs are an 86 Aspencade 49 state model on an 85 Interstate 49 State model. I'm rebuilding the 86 and decided in order to eliminate variables I would clean the carbs and test on my well running 85. I'm crazy about upkeep all new filters, plugs, belts, fluids this year, and she's been great for me day to day all that I really needed to do was replace the air cutoff which is now done and awaiting the return of my original set of carbs once I fix the 86's.
Thanks again guys for all your help and knowledge, this site is incredible.
Ride Safe
#43 08-01-2009, 06:02 PM,
If the carb needles are worn you can have this problem and it can be worsened by the carb mixture screws being off and the simplest of fixes is replacing a dirty air filter with a free flowing new one. Also low tire pressure and dragging brakes will also contribute to poor fuel economy.

#44 08-01-2009, 07:35 PM,
fysty-1 Wrote:I have a question for you carb guru's. ^Smile^ :YMPRAY: Baby runs like an absolute dream and cruises @ 130k with the smoothness these machines are famous for. Because of this, I have been hesitant to take her into the shop to have carbs rebuilt. The problem is fuel consumption. You would think that Baby is a fuel dragster. and everthing that the exhaust comes in comtact with is covered in beautiful black soot. How can she run so rich and perform like she is fresh from the factory? I have also ran (recently) a can of seafoam thro' her.
When I started ridding my 85 i had the same problem,flayed choke cable kelp the choke on all the time. The plugs were black with soot and there was the smell of gasoline. I wish you good luck on this.
joe
#45 08-02-2009, 03:06 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carb Rebuild marksaunders 12 1,949 05-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Last Post: marksaunders
  84 1200 carb rebuild kywinger 1 579 04-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Last Post: bs175dths
  Carb Removal 1985 Aspencade Frank 8 3,864 04-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Last Post: mancrypt
  Carb still pops after rebuild 5 1,096 10-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Last Post: MRGONE