Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Replacing the speedo on a naked 1200
Last night my speedo died... It screamed like mad in its final miles and now it's dead.
At home (on holiday now) I have the dash of an old CX500C. Would anyone know if that speedo will work (as in: show the correct speed) on a 1200? I'd sort of expect it to as they look similar and are from a similar age but as far as I know the size of the wheels is different so I wonder it that makes a difference?

Thanks,

Ronald
#1 08-16-2007, 02:49 AM,
Did you happen to check if the cable just spun off and broke on yours? It wouldn't surprise me if the one off the CX500 worked on yours, the gearbox would make up for the difference in wheel size.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 08-19-2007, 10:39 AM,
yeah, what Vic said. I had the same thing happen on my Suzuki once. it was a 98 VS800 and I took a cable off of an old 76 gs500 and it worked fine while I waited for the new one to come in. chances are good the cx500 may work is it will mount ok. if the speed is off it will be by a percentage. (like most bikes.) my 1200 is off by 10% so @ 55 I'm only doing 50 and I have to be doing 66 to be actually be going 60. etc. my point is, at least if you get it to work, you can have someone ride with you on or in another vehicle and clock your speed. then you'll have an idea of how fast you're traveling. :wink:
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#3 08-19-2007, 10:58 AM,
Little update on the speedo story. I checked the cable. Took it out at the speedo end and pulled the inner cable. Couldn't pull it out, so it seemed ok. Pushed the bike forward a few meters and couldn't see it turn.
Took the cable out alltogether and found that it had indeed broken but rather than snapping off it had been twisted in a knot at the bottom end.
After a few phone calls (thanks Sam and Eamon) I had a cable ready to collect on Monday night. Initially that seemed to solve the issue but before I reached the end of the street the clock started screaming again. I've taken the cable off now to prevent it bewing chewed up.
I will try the CX clock this weekend. I'll post the results here.

Ronald

P.S. The connections on a 1200 cable are the same as on a 1500 cable, only the 1500 cable is a few inches longer.
#4 08-22-2007, 09:05 AM,
Update on the speedo again. Physically the CX clock fits. There is a difference though. The back of the 1200 speedo has something that looks like a reed-relais switch that the CX speedo doesn't have. Does anyone know what that's for?
There's a stretch of road with lots of speed camera's where all cars pretty much stick to the 80km limit. From that I worked out that 3000rpm in 4th is about 80km/h (does that sound right?).
After putting the CX clock on I found it shows 65 at 3000rpm in 4... No luck so. Gonna have to get the old clock fixed...

Ronald
#5 08-25-2007, 04:43 PM,
Duq Wrote:Update on the speedo again. Physically the CX clock fits. There is a difference though. The back of the 1200 speedo has something that looks like a reed-relais switch that the CX speedo doesn't have. Does anyone know what that's for?
There's a stretch of road with lots of speed camera's where all cars pretty much stick to the 80km limit. From that I worked out that 3000rpm in 4th is about 80km/h (does that sound right?).
After putting the CX clock on I found it shows 65 at 3000rpm in 4... No luck so. Gonna have to get the old clock fixed...

Ronald
hey Ron, I have one that came off an 81 wing. if you want it you can have it. it does work and isn't as bad as it looks in the photo. I have no idea what it would cost for shipping but, if you want it, let me know.
[Image: clock.jpg]
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#6 08-25-2007, 06:49 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replacing the indicators on a naked 1200 Duq 2 1,338 08-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Last Post: myplace 46