Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm back
So, I was on this forum... Back in 2011. The bike has been sitting in the garage because... Well just because. Now a divorce is happening, and I need to figure out to do with my beautiful machine. I'd like to ride but frankly it's heavy, and my knees are bad.

It's the bike I wanted since it was new, when I was 20 years old. Now I'm 51.

Here's what I've got. I just want to do what's best for my wallet right now.

It's the cream colored SEI. 73K miles I believe. All fluids were sitting the bike since it was registered as stored in 2011. The tires were new, but now they have a flat side of course, because I didn't put it on the center stand. (oops.) And of course the battery is dead.

What works: (per my memory) Everything except the casette motor. I can use the cassette as an "aux" input for a GPS or MP3 player of course. CB works. Compressor is dead but I have the upgraded springs.

Unfortunately, the mirrors are aftermarket and they vibrate. The speakers sound like crap.

The body is unscratched and has every panel.

It also has (DIG THIS) an electric center stand. Push a button and two arms come down. Each stops when it hits the ground, so the bike can be parked with one side or the other uphill and remain vertical. Very cool. Never seen it before on any bike.

The seat is a cream colored corbin, with armrests for the back.

It has a TON of lights on the back. By (Markam is it?). Three "tiers" with clear red lenses. It's beautiful at night. Heated foam grips.

The trip computer works, and even has good backlighting. The etching on the computer looks very good.

I have EVERY gold emblem in plastic packaging, very shiny, direct from Honda. Ready to restore the bike.

But I have to face facts: It's been sitting a long time, and it'll cost a lot to get it working. I'm thinking $2500.

I bought it for $4K in 2009, not that it matters.

So what's the best decision for my wallet? (And my time... It's gonna be a matter of paying someone else, I am a business owner and I can't afford a project right now.)
#1 12-20-2017, 08:11 PM,
Entirely up to you on what the future of the bike should be but I would imagine that this bike does not run and therefore the potential buyer will probably hit you lower than that.
#2 12-22-2017, 05:57 PM,
(12-22-2017, 05:57 PM)Tropicalsuns Wrote: Entirely up to you on what the future of the bike should be but I would imagine that this bike does not run and therefore the potential buyer will probably hit you lower than that.

Sorry: Are you referring to an as-is buyer? Or an "as running" buyer? And lower than what? (You mean the $2500 it may take to get it running well?) The $4K I paid is irrelevant -- I know that and probably shouldn't have mentioned it. But back then I recall Vic often saying GL1200's were going up in value.

I'd like to better understand the market value of this bike in either state. (Running with good parts and fluids, vs. Not running with old fluids, dead battery and tires with a flat spot.)
#3 12-22-2017, 06:14 PM,
Yes a. As is buyer would want to steal it not knowing what issues there are in buying a non running bike.

Hopefully someone will also give an opinion as I'm not familiar enough with your model.

Obviously I think you would get more with a bike functioning
#4 12-22-2017, 08:20 PM,
(12-22-2017, 08:20 PM)Tropicalsuns Wrote: Yes a. As is buyer would want to steal it not knowing what issues there are in buying a non running bike.

Hopefully someone will also give an opinion as I'm not familiar enough with your model.

Obviously I think you would get more with a bike functioning

Hate to say this, but it looks like I'm going to wash it, take some pretty pictures, and sell it as-is. It seems the cost of repair (plus the cost of the time it would consume to do so) are more than I can get back out of it.

I'll take my time looking for a buyer. Probably start at $750 and lower the price from there if needed. It really is beautiful.

Or maybe I can part it out.

Anyone want to buy some SHINY NEW emblems from Honda? I have all of them, still in the package. I don't think you can get them anymore, and they look like jewels. Absolutely critical for a restore job.

I also have a great Corbin seat set, with backrests and rear armrests, matching the beige and gold SEI. (Or any brown GL1200)

I also have the electric center stand kit, and every panel (with holes cut for the center stand kit.)

I also have a Markam light kit with approximately one million lights. (Three tiers)

Will put up pictures soon.
#5 12-24-2017, 01:09 AM,