Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed! Rear caliper frozen!
So this brake job is not going well.

Started with the rear brakes. Caliper came off pretty easy, but pins were very difficult to remove but they did come out. The problem is that the piston do not want to re-seat into the caliper body. I then moved to the front R brake and got those pads changed. When I tried to move to the front brake, I stripped out the head of one of the master cylinder screws. Argh!

What should I do about the frozen pistons?

Thanks.

- Pete

...and my hockey team lost their series in OT...so much for the most successful regular season in franchise history...
#1 04-22-2017, 03:46 PM,
Was able to reseat the pistons by cracking the bleeder screw. However, reading tricky's sticky note up top, I think I need to either replace or rebuild the caliper. Should probably get new pistons as well since they seem to be sticking. Any suggestions of sources?
#2 04-22-2017, 05:33 PM,
try here http://www.hondadirectline.com/ or http://cyclemax.com/
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 04-22-2017, 05:44 PM,
Check the O-Ring grooves for corrosion. That will cause the O-Ring to press too hard on the piston causing it to stick and be hard to reinsert..
1985 Limited Edition
#4 04-22-2017, 07:38 PM,
Is it easy to disassemble the caliper?
#5 04-23-2017, 06:48 AM,
It depends on the condition of the caliper... If they are not too bad, you can use compressed air to remove them. If that doesn't work what I would suggest is removing the caliper and leave the brake line attached. Then, while monitoring the brake fluid level, pumping the brake and watching which piston starts to come out. Keep going until one pops out, remove the O-ring, check for corrosion and gently clean out the corrosion using a brass dental or steel if you can't find a brass one..

Then reinsert the O-ring and lube the piston with DOT4, after cleaning the piston of course.. Reseat the piston and use a small clamp/block to hold it fully seated. Then bleed the caliper, pump the other piston out and repeat your cleaning!!

Using the brake to remove the piston's is the easiest way I've found to remove these things if they are badly corroded like mine were....

Good Luck with her!!
1985 Limited Edition
#6 04-23-2017, 11:54 AM,
Parts ordered on Saturday pm...still in processing Tuesday afternoon! Need some speed on this order please.

In other good news, both front brake pads have been replaced. After getting the pads re-positioned on the left front brake, was able to get a solid brake action - no sponginess. Still need to bleed & feed to replace the old fluid. Right front and rear will have to wait until caliper is re-built.

Speaking of bleed & feed, what size tubing hooks up to the bleeder valve? I bought some quarter-inch, but it seems a little big. Haven't tried the 3/16" yet. Do I need metric?
#7 04-25-2017, 01:49 PM,
Pistons are out and caliper is off. The grooves for the seals seem pretty clean. Did notice some sludge at the bottom of each cylinder. Sprayed some brake parts cleaner to try and dissolve it and it seems to be doing the job. But I'd like to get it very clean...was hoping to use some degreaser and then some mild soap (Dawn) and water before re-assembling, Most of the concern seems to be with respect to damaging the seal grooves. Would degreaser or Dawn do bad things to the caliper?

Also, the bottom of the cylinders seems to have some kind of residue on it - looks like resiudual adhesive after removing a price tag. I assume I'll need to get that removed, yes?

BTW, here are the instructions that I used for removing the pistons. Worked like a champ.

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56

- Pete
#8 04-27-2017, 05:34 PM,
A Great Site

#9 04-27-2017, 05:48 PM,
Ok. Rear caliper is clean. All the parts I ordered (not necessarily all that I need) have arrived. The caliper is ready for re-build (tomorrow night's task). But as I was organizing the work area from the many jobs that I have done over this maintenance period, I found this part.

What the heck is this? From the Clymer manual, it looks like the caliper bracket retainer (pc 8, figure 3, page 346). I don't remember removing this piece at all. Doesn't look it has any screw holes, so I think it just clips into place. Could I have knocked it free when I disconnected the hydraulic line from the caliper? More importantly, now that it is off, how do I put it back on? Huh

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

#10 05-01-2017, 06:02 PM,
Looks like

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

#11 05-01-2017, 07:19 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear caliper ironhead1970 2 2,295 06-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Last Post: 1060dsl
  Rear Brake Caliper bolt sheridat 3 1,636 02-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Last Post: sheridat
  Rear Brake Caliper Boot B sheridat 6 2,318 09-21-2011, 05:20 AM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  Rear Brake Caliper Questons aspengold 8 2,667 02-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Last Post: aspengold
  Air suspension display guage problem, rear caliper Hibdude 5 2,396 07-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Last Post: admin
  Frozen pins in 1200I brake caliper vrocrider 7 4,213 03-25-2007, 06:29 AM
Last Post: admin