Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Motad SS exhaust and "glowing" header pipes ???
Just installed a Motad SS exhaust system on my Interstate. The installation was quite easy - everything lined up and went together quite nicely. I moved the bike out of the garage and started it up - sounds nice, and no leaks !! Much quieter than the crappy old MAC system that was on it. Now to the question: After sitting at idle for a few minutes outside, I noticed that the header pipes were glowing a dull cherry red. Idle speed (choke) was stepped down from an initial 1500 rpm to the normal 1000 rpm over a period of about 3 to 5 minutes. I've never seen motorcycle header pipes get that hot as to glow. What must they be like at speed - even with an air-flow over them? Should I be worrying about this ?? I realize that these header pipes are single walled as opposed to double walled for the MAC's. How will they hold up over time being subjected to such extreme heat?

Have not experienced any issues with overly lean mixture or retarted timing as some others have offered as a possible cause.
'87 Interstate
'87 Aspencade
#1 01-03-2007, 10:29 AM,
One thing to do is to pull a plug or two and see what color they are. If you are lean the plugs will tell you so.
#2 01-03-2007, 10:51 AM,
I was working on an 85 interstate. I had it running with the rpm's up to 1500 for around 10 min. I didn't notice until my wife came out and said that the pipes were glowing. And they were. I think that they will do that if you have the rpm's up off idle for a period of time and not running threw the wind. The wind keeps them from getting that hot.

I'd ride it and just remember that if you do that again they might start to glow.
#3 01-04-2007, 08:39 AM,
Boxerdad Wrote:After sitting at idle for a few minutes outside, I noticed that the header pipes were glowing a dull cherry red. Idle speed (choke) was stepped down from an initial 1500 rpm to the normal 1000 rpm over a period of about 3 to 5 minutes. I've never seen motorcycle header pipes get that hot as to glow. What must they be like at speed - even with an air-flow over them? Should I be worrying about this ?? I realize that these header pipes are single walled as opposed to double walled for the MAC's. How will they hold up over time being subjected to such extreme heat?

Have not experienced any issues with overly lean mixture or retarted timing as some others have offered as a possible cause.

To members:

My name is Steve Larson, I work in the customer support of Annitori Distributing, which is a distribution company for many high end European motorcycle products, of which Motad Exhausts UK is one we represent over on this side of the "pond".

We saw your post, and thought we could add a bit here.

There is nothing wrong with your exhaust, it is a T-304 stainless, single wall design which is why you are seeing the red more easily. Material thickness is 1.20mm, roughly .048, which is nowhere near the world of "thin wall", so rest assured this is an exhaust which will last you a good long time.

Assuming all your engine issues are correct (you did not note having any mods done or running issues so we are assuming so), you are just seeing what happens when you "high idle" a bike for longer then normal times on a single wall tube.

And please keep in mind that except for a few bikes, many exhausts are single wall, even machines such as the GSXR's and CBR 1000's with a TON more heat then the GL, and there is never any issue. You are in no way damaging the header, the glowing is not doing any harm. It is just the basic physics of heat and metal working together.

Would love to hear any comments on the product you might have, sound, fit, driveability, etc., as we were quite impressed by the design and hope you are as well.

If we can be of any assistance with any questions, please let us know.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Larson
Motad America
1-888-963-1212
info@Annitori.com

Motad Exhausts America
Micron Exhausts North America
Hyperpro Suspension USA
CRD Off-road
Zard Exhausts America
#4 01-05-2007, 03:29 PM,
Steve: Your post (as well as several others) has convinced me that there is really nothing wrong. I've never had mixture issues prior to the installation and couldn't see how changing the exhaust system could make the mixture go so lean as to melt the pipes - but seeing the glow scared me for a bit. Confusedhock:

My MAC systems were both less than a year old but looked like they were 25 years old. Within a month of the initial installation, the header pipes had already rusted and so had the mufflers. They never fit quite right and wouldn't seal up - they leaked like a seive on both bikes. Although I only paid for them half of what the Motad systems cost, they were certainly no bargain. :evil:

I know that the Motads are not going to rust and they sealed up right away - no more shameful exhaust leaks!! I'm very pleased with the systems so far and am very much impressed with the good fit and resultant ease of installation. Starting up the bike after the install and not hearing any leaks was quite fulfilling. I'll be installing the 2nd set I bought on the Aspencade as soon as it's ready to go back together. No longer having to worry about a molecule thin flash of cheap chrome rusting off of a crappy tin exhaust system is well worth having waited for (and saved up for) the Motad systems. These systems cost more than chromed steel, but they'll far outlast the chromed steel systems that are available for older GL's today. It's a simple concept: spend a little more money one time rather than spending a little bit less money over and over. Big Grin

As soon as I can put a few miles on the bike I'll comment on the sound but what I heard during the idle phase was pleasant. A WOT roll on in 3rd or 4th gear should tell the tale.
'87 Interstate
'87 Aspencade
#5 01-05-2007, 06:01 PM,
To Steve Larson,

Good to have you looking in about this install of this product. Having no knowledge of your "product" (yet) it seems to fill the bill for replacement exhaust. 8)

I would like to make a suggestion: Maybe the install instructions should contain a "suggestion" to use a running 15"-20" window fan located at the front of the bike while the customer is checking for "leaks,etc." at install. This method should also be used when the "owner/operator" is making carb adjustments. Sometimes the carb sync takes a while and this method helps to "cool" the exhaust pipes over this time period. :wink:

I have some "single-walled" pipes on another bike and this method DOES help to keep the pipe from really gettin' that "glow".

Just thought I'd throw that to ya.

Bullzeyet
#6 01-23-2007, 07:07 AM,
My Motad is great and yes I do get the cherry glow on fast idle! They dont glow when you are on the move. Only thing I found was that even with the optional tail extensions the pipes did not stick out of the back of my wing so i added some longer tail pipes. Mabye its just me but i like my pipes to stick out the back.. otherwise fantastic system.
To Old To Die Young!
#7 01-09-2008, 11:40 AM,
Thanks for your response, Steve and welcome to the site.
#8 01-09-2008, 04:10 PM,
Hello and welcome Steve. Nice of you to stop by with some friendly information. One of these days we are going to have to discuss a group purchasing plan for this site since we are about 1000 members strong and we all drive GL1200's. Sharpen your pencil and we'll talk one day down the road.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#9 01-09-2008, 05:26 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Motad SS exhuast! ChuckV309 18 2,224 08-07-2013, 03:31 AM
Last Post: admin
  Header pipe question Rpmalerba 10 949 01-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Rpmalerba
  header pipes bagelboy 8 761 01-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Last Post: 1060dsl
  New Stainless Steel Motad Exhaust with Extensions Ranch55 3 729 05-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Ranch55
  NEW HEADER PIPES Ed Z 3 525 03-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Guest
  Road King Exhaust Pipes 2 743 02-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Last Post: bluewing
  Help with a Motad Exhaust. All finished now Hamish 5 1,218 01-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Last Post: rcmatt007
  Exhaust Pipes SIR tricky 8 1,531 08-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Last Post: myplace 46
  Motad Exhaust - 1st ride impressions Boxerdad 6 1,616 07-16-2007, 06:42 AM
  Welded exhaust pipes on 86I lostinflorida 2 746 04-29-2007, 09:00 PM