Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Jacked Up
I use one all the time in fact I put the wing on during the summer months when its t hot to ride. As they say you have to lift it on the pipes and put a strap on it.I also put a 4X4 block of wood on the jack frame incase the hydraulics leak when I leave the bike on it.
#16 08-16-2007, 09:43 AM,
It sure would be nice being able to jack the bike up to polish pipes and lower frame parts, wheels too. My knees just don't like kneeling on cement any more!!!
#17 08-16-2007, 04:01 PM,
My wife got me a package of 4 interlocking 1/2" 2 foot square foam pads that I find amazing for working on the bike. I laughed when she first got them but now I won't work on the bike without them. I think they use them under hardwood floors in basements but they work great in the garage for the bike and they are not expensive. I hate to admit it but sometimes I think she's a little smarter than I am when it comes to my own comfort because I used to just kneel on the concrete.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#18 08-16-2007, 04:07 PM,
Especially when they are covered with a piece of the silver heat retaining material in winter, even if the garage is heated Smile :twisted:
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#19 08-16-2007, 05:12 PM,
Well I tried my jack for the first time, strapped the bike down and up it went, it does work good. I use foam garden knee pads for my knees, I got them at the dollar store, they are 12"X18" the interlocking ones sound like they would work good, good idea.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#20 08-16-2007, 05:20 PM,
tricky Wrote:Especially when they are covered with a piece of the silver heat retaining material in winter, even if the garage is heated Smile :twisted:

Wouldn't that be the cat's meow. I'll have to look into that Tricky could be a real neat trick for thos odd times I have to work on the car in the winter.

#21 08-16-2007, 05:32 PM,
bluewing Wrote:Well I tried my jack for the first time, strapped the bike down and up it went, it does work good. I use foam garden knee pads for my knees, I got them at the dollar store, they are 12"X18" the interlocking ones sound like they would work good, good idea.

What a difference when the bike is way up in the air. It changes everything, all those things you don't normally see, but now you've got extra cleaning :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#22 08-16-2007, 05:34 PM,
If anyone is interested, I found one of these at Pep Boys, here in Texas, for $69.95 and then a rebate for $40.00 making the final cost $29.95. Can't beat that price and the rebate is good until Sept 1st. I looked at the Craftsman version and it looked about the same as the Pep Boys model, but it came with the straps already attached for $69.95.

Cheers,
FTO
Forever The Optimist
1986 Blue/Blue Aspencade
Little Elm, Tx
"Go Lobo's"
#23 08-16-2007, 08:28 PM,
admin Wrote:
bluewing Wrote:Well I tried my jack for the first time, strapped the bike down and up it went, it does work good. I use foam garden knee pads for my knees, I got them at the dollar store, they are 12"X18" the interlocking ones sound like they would work good, good idea.

What a difference when the bike is way up in the air. It changes everything, all those things you don't normally see, but now you've got extra cleaning :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't have extra cleaning, I just don'et have to lay on my back to do it now.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#24 08-16-2007, 09:02 PM,
We have all heard the phrase " you get what you pay for ". My own experience as a maintenance mechanic and a local Harbor Frieght store is a lot of the tools and equipment they sell are cheap and disposable. Be careful, keep your reciept and watch for any signs of leakage. If possible use a piece of wood under the jack as a backup to failure either by equipment or accidental lowering by another party.

Be as safe in your work as you are on the road

hoofman
#25 08-17-2007, 05:26 PM,
All of the bike jacks I've seen including the Harbor Freight model have ratchet locks to prevent the jack from lowering unexpectedly so there's no need to block them up. As for quality I agree that many of the tools HF sells are of lower quality, however most of them are adequate for part time mechanics. I have a lot of good quality mechanical and electronic tools but also purchase cheap imports to broaden my tool range. If I were to go back to making my living with these tools I'd probably spend more but top drawer stuff isn't necessary for occasional use.

BTW the HF black and yellow jack was stronger built than the red one sold by several auto parts stores and Sears.
Current: GL1100 GL1500 Previous: GL1200SEI
#26 08-17-2007, 09:16 PM,