Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Voltmeter ???????
Hey someone refresh my memory . Every since I put the new stator on my LTD the volt meter reads a steady 13.5-7 ( I mean at driving RPMs ) while riding . I hooked up my volt meter to the battery and it reads 14.5-7 . Could it be wiring ? Or the meter I am about to change out the meter since I have a couple more laying around.

Now when I got this bike back in 09 the stator was bad when I bought it . So I don't know if it was doing it then or not . I have no other problems as far as charging or starting . Does anybody have this going on with your bike SEI or LTD
84 Aspy Preminum Beige Metallic ( Mr AL2)
85 LTD Sundance Gold ( Mr AL ) ;)

#1 07-22-2015, 07:47 PM,
Probably some voltage drop due to wiring, but it could be the volt meter. Also possibly the regulator is not reading the correct battery voltage. The voltage should not read more than 14.2.

Attached Files
.   There are a lot of threads about voltmeters that read incorrectly or batteries that are being overcharged by the regulat (Size: 146.43 KB / Downloads: 4)
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 07-22-2015, 08:22 PM,
have a couple voltmeters from sei or ltd's they also read high and low,luck of the draw
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 07-22-2015, 08:32 PM,
This is how I have my voltmeter wired. It is taking a reading directly from the battery.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

#4 07-23-2015, 06:03 AM,
Thanks Tricky and Neoracer . I will swap out the volt meter this weekend . I was kind of thinking the samething about luck of the draw Neoracer. Just might be the character of the meter. But Tricky you have a very interesting wiring theroy if all fails I might try your way . Heck I might do ir anyway Thanks .

I also might wait until I get this new to me LTD I bought about a month ago started to see how that meter acts . Even though I think it is going to need a stator. I will play around with them this eekend and let you all know what happens

#5 07-23-2015, 04:44 PM,
The way tricky has his wired makes for a more accurate reading.
#6 07-23-2015, 05:29 PM,
That is probably the way I will go instead of fooling around with changing it . Make since Thanks

#7 07-23-2015, 08:43 PM,
I have the voltmeter connected to the accessory jacks of the fuse box and it reads lower than taking a reading at the battery.
Until I set it up like the posted schematic, I simply do the math.
12.5V at the meter is 14.7V at the battery (it is good mind exercising) Smile
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#8 07-24-2015, 05:51 PM,
Well I changed out the volt meter and it reads exactly the same as the original. So I'll try the wiring scheme layed out by Tricky. Tricky do you remember what color wire from the volt meter went to the relay ?

#9 08-10-2015, 06:10 PM,
My Aspy didnt have a volt meter installed, I added an aftermarket voltmeter and wired it up as per the diagram using whatever wire I had available.

Yours being an SEI the wire that provides current to the voltmeter is light green/black

I would remove those wires from the voltmeter and run a separate wire using the diagram.

That wire also provides illumination I think.

If you have a hand held voltmeter test the voltage at the battery, start the bike and test again, you should see approx 14.2V at the battery

#10 08-11-2015, 05:41 AM,
Ok Sir Tricky . I allready had a hand held volt meter on the battery and it read 14.2 , while the dash vm read 13.2. Thats how I knew the meter to be problematic .

In the mean time I found a wiring diagram for my LTD and you are correct light green and black to the relay . I looks like I could catch those wires around the voltage regulator according to diagram. I

I have plenty of those relays laying around . I will make an attempt around the weekend coming up
thanks a million . I'll keep you posted

#11 08-11-2015, 06:42 PM,