Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Glad I found you guys
I picked up an 86Aspy SEI and have been enjoying the ride. I started having a few mech issues and did some research online. ... which led me here. I found info with replacing the starter (best tip: have patience with it... pain in the #$@), with the breaks, air ride system (cause of my 35mph death wobble), and stator. Yes, I have done some work on her, but all worth it. A big thanks to all of you who post "how to" stuff, you saved my pocket book and taught me a bit.

Hope to catch up on the road sometime.
Cheers,
Andrew - Bellingham, Wa
#1 07-21-2015, 02:22 PM,
(07-21-2015, 02:22 PM)aweightman Wrote: I picked up an 86Aspy SEI and have been enjoying the ride. I started having a few mech issues and did some research online. ... which led me here. I found info with replacing the starter (best tip: have patience with it... pain in the #$@), with the breaks, air ride system (cause of my 35mph death wobble), and stator. Yes, I have done some work on her, but all worth it. A big thanks to all of you who post "how to" stuff, you saved my pocket book and taught me a bit.

Cheers,
Andrew - Bellingham, Wa

WelcomeAndrew!
#2 07-21-2015, 04:33 PM,
A bit ago a thread was started about why ride a GL1200 and before that there was a thread about the Love Affair we have with these GL1200's.
It's a personal thing and a 'to each his own' kind of thing.
Plain and simply put....... we just do, no explanation is required.
It can be unexplainable.

Case in point: I just diagnosed a faulty shift fork. I can't find too much fault in the design since this bike has logged nearly 150,000 (s)miles. Engine still gives 44mpgs during my daily trek to work.

I have three choices:
A - replace the faulty parts
2 - replace the engine, or
Lastly - replace the bike
(A, 2, Lastly was done on purpose)
Since the third option isn't an option, the first two both involve removing the engine.... the engine came out.

While I look for a replacement engine withing driving distance, I split the cases to find the problem.
Since many transmission parts are obsolete, I am looking at transmissions with low miles and am replacing the entire transmission as I find the parts. (not ALL transmission parts are interchangeable among the GL1200 series)

Some may say it is too old to fix. (they aren't riding it)
Some may say it is too much work to fix. (I don't send it to the shop, I like turning a wrench on my stuff)

As fate would have it, I have always liked the Goldwing series and was lucky enough to find my '84 Interstate.
As fate would have it, I started my riding career in 1984.

I have some ties with this bike. I treat it nice and it treats me nice too. I am not giving up on her.

See, unexplainable........ we just do what we do.

I too have done some extensive work on my bike, and eventually, I will hit all the systems and will just have to ride it another 100,000 before it needs some attention.

So, welcome to the site. It is chalk full of information, stories and a yearning to keep and help keep these bikes on the road.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 07-21-2015, 06:46 PM,
(07-21-2015, 06:46 PM)bs175dths Wrote: A bit ago a thread was started about why ride a GL1200 and before that there was a thread about the Love Affair we have with these GL1200's.
It's a personal thing and a 'to each his own' kind of thing.
Plain and simply put....... we just do, no explanation is required.
It can be unexplainable.

Case in point: I just diagnosed a faulty shift fork. I can't find too much fault in the design since this bike has logged nearly 150,000 (s)miles. Engine still gives 44mpgs during my daily trek to work.

I have three choices:
A - replace the faulty parts
2 - replace the engine, or
Lastly - replace the bike
(A, 2, Lastly was done on purpose)
Since the third option isn't an option, the first two both involve removing the engine.... the engine came out.

While I look for a replacement engine withing driving distance, I split the cases to find the problem.
Since many transmission parts are obsolete, I am looking at transmissions with low miles and am replacing the entire transmission as I find the parts. (not ALL transmission parts are interchangeable among the GL1200 series)

Some may say it is too old to fix. (they aren't riding it)
Some may say it is too much work to fix. (I don't send it to the shop, I like turning a wrench on my stuff)

As fate would have it, I have always liked the Goldwing series and was lucky enough to find my '84 Interstate.
As fate would have it, I started my riding career in 1984.

I have some ties with this bike. I treat it nice and it treats me nice too. I am not giving up on her.

See, unexplainable........ we just do what we do.

I too have done some extensive work on my bike, and eventually, I will hit all the systems and will just have to ride it another 100,000 before it needs some attention.

So, welcome to the site. It is chalk full of information, stories and a yearning to keep and help keep these bikes on the road.

-Ride On

That's great to hear... not that you are having issues, but are willing to put love back into a great old bike. My aspy is up over 178,000 miles, 53,218 to be exact are from me and loved every mile. This is definitely a bike I will hold on to. It's in great shape , shines up nicely and still turns heads. I'm always on the hunt for matching parts myself, so please keep in touch, we may have found what the other is looking for.

I'm sure in time I will be posting about my own repairs, trials and errors. Hopefully more success stories.

Cheers,
Andrew
#4 07-21-2015, 08:26 PM,
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Life's uncertain, eat dessert first. :D
#5 08-01-2015, 06:52 PM,
(07-21-2015, 02:22 PM)aweightman Wrote: I picked up an 86Aspy SEI and have been enjoying the ride. I started having a few mech issues and did some research online. ... which led me here. I found info with replacing the starter (best tip: have patience with it... pain in the #$@), with the breaks, air ride system (cause of my 35mph death wobble), and stator. Yes, I have done some work on her, but all worth it. A big thanks to all of you who post "how to" stuff, you saved my pocket book and taught me a bit.

Cheers,
Andrew - Bellingham, Wa

Hello Andrew
I live just north of you across the line in Aldergrove, I came on this site a few years ago and I ride an 85 LTD which is virtually the same bike as yours.
I noticed you made a comment about a wobble and mine always had a slow speed wobble,
I just installed a new rear tire but while I had the rear wheel off I didn't like the way the bearings felt in the back wheel so I put in new bearings in the back wheel and now my wobble is gone.
So it makes me wonder if the slight movement in the back wheel was causing it as the front end is trying to compensate for the movement in the back.
Don't know for sure but I'm sure glad it feels so much better.
I'm going to pull my front wheel and replace my front bearings to just because they have never been done.

I have had so much help from the guys here on this site that I can never thank them enough,
The best I can do is help others whenever I'm able with what I have learned.
Johan
#6 02-09-2016, 07:27 PM,