Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
WHAT TO DO WITH THIS WEBSITE, SUGGESTIONS PLEASE
Life changes all the time, especially my life with this damn bi-polar disorder I've been carrying around since I was a kid. My house burned last year and was just rebuilt, the year before my bike was totalled and rebuilt by me, even my relationship with my wife has undergone some big changes due to all the stress and things. Now I'm thinking about rebuilding myself and need to figure out what I need and don't need. Do I still want to drive my Wing, HELL YES, but, my wife chooses not to ride anymore. Do I replace wife or just get a noisy single seat Harley??? Not even sure about this here website. Do I keep it or do I sell it or what. I'm fully open to any and all suggestions if you'd like to chime in your 2 cents for what it's worth. All suggestions, comical or otherwise are welcomed and appreciated at this very insecure time of life for me:-)
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#1 04-06-2015, 05:41 AM,
You have done boat loads with this site even without the personal struggles thrown it.
I for one am EXTREMELY grateful for all the information and guidance this site has given me which is the reason why I have tried to give back as much as possible.
Life changes.
Life causes changes.
You need to do what is best for you at a given time.
If this site does end up going away we all know there are other sites where information can be found, but there won't be another site like this one, with the same kind of 'feeling' this site conveys.

I will always be grateful to you and to this site for allowing me to keep my bike road worthy.

Again, though, you need to do what is best for you.

If this site gives more grief than pleasure, the answer is clear.
If it is therapeutic, the answer may be clear.

It may just be time for this site, as it has been for so many sites before it.....

Do you need it to be part of your life?

Take care.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#2 04-06-2015, 10:38 AM,
(04-06-2015, 05:41 AM)admin Wrote: Do I replace wife or just get a noisy single seat Harley???
Unfortunately, my wife does not want to ride with me too, so 99% of my trips I have been riding alone, all over Europe and some trips in South Africa and the US. I ride an GL1200 Aspencade and really enjoy riding it without a passenger.
After I sold my previous Aspencade, I tried a few BMW's and a GL1500 but I wanted a GL1200 again because I really like riding it.

(04-06-2015, 05:41 AM)admin Wrote: Not even sure about this here website. Do I keep it or do I sell it or what.
I do like this website and I would be sorry if you close it but there are other sites. I am also a member of a Dutch GoldWIng Forum and also GWRRA member and user of the GWRRA forum. Life goes on and if you don't have the enthusiasm any-more to run this site, you should feel free to do what ever you want. You have done your share the last couple of years and I appreciate that very much. If maintaining this sites gives you a lot of stress, I think you should stop because your health is much more important then any website.

I hope it all works out well for you.
------------------------------
Jan Krijtenburg, a Dutch Winger
My bikes: Honda GL1200 Interstate and a BMW R1200GS
My personal Homepage: http://www.krijtenburg.nl
Motormobilist website: http://motormobilist.nl/
#3 04-06-2015, 11:42 AM,
Personally, this is my go to forum for repairs and info on my 1200s. I know several motorcycle sites that got sold, and it wasn't the worst thing for the site. Since I am a computer idiot, I do not really understand the time or money to keep this site rolling. Also, I'm sure there is a personal attachment to it for you, understandably. With that being said, it might be best to sell it so you can get things in order and have one less thing to worry about. It might be better to sell it than watch it fade out. Either way, thanks for making this site possible. I know I speak for myself and others when I say that because of this site, I have been able to keep my bikes "alive", something I never would have been able to do on my own. Best of luck!
1997 Valkyrie Tourer, 1987 Burgandy Aspencade with poorboy installed, and a 2005 Red GL 1800.
#4 04-07-2015, 08:13 AM,
I too went through a difficult period this year, my partner and friend for 54 years was admitted to long term care due to Alzheimer's/Dementia.
Will I continue riding, not sure, I do visit the site each day, I see other people give their help, if the site closes, there are other site's, it wont be the end of the world, I thought my world had ended November last year but it still continues.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 04-07-2015, 11:56 AM,
So sorry to hear that Tricky. Once I get my Wing running properly I'd love to come up and visit with you if you'd have me.

#6 04-07-2015, 04:52 PM,
Sure thing Vic, just lets wait till warmer weather Smile

I do get my strength from visits with my kids and their kids.

Time is a great healer they say.... we shall see
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#7 04-07-2015, 07:04 PM,
Although I am now riding a 1500, I found this site and it's members invaluable when I was riding my 1200's. It's dedication to the older wings made it easier to find information relevant to whatever I was working on, and the members were always helpful. Sir Tricky even talked me through a problem over the phone once! Having had to walk away from my own situations in the past, I can certainly understand you're needing to do that. You've done a fine job for many years, Vic.

I don't know if you've done this in another post somewhere already, but perhaps if you were to give a rundown of what's involved in keeping the site up and about how much time you put into it, maybe someone would have an interest in picking things up.
Charlie
1992 GL1500 SE
[Image: Visited.jpg]
#8 04-07-2015, 10:27 PM,
Having administered my own website in a different industry for many years and help in the background here I have first hand knowledge of the time and effort and money it takes to keep a website up and running...

I closed my own due to some of the same considerations your going through now.

Bottom line it's a personal choice that only you can make.
#9 04-08-2015, 09:26 AM,
(04-07-2015, 11:56 AM)SIR tricky Wrote: I too went through a difficult period this year, my partner and friend for 54 years was admitted to long term care due to Alzheimer's/Dementia.
Will I continue riding, not sure, I do visit the site each day, I see other people give their help, if the site closes, there are other site's, it wont be the end of the world, I thought my world had ended November last year but it still continues.

Sorry to hear of this.

Unfortunately, this is all a part of what we call 'life'.
.... and life marches on.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#10 04-08-2015, 11:09 AM,
Yep, life has to march on otherwise we just sink and drown. Grab the good things and run with them as fast as you can before they slip through your fingers.

#11 04-08-2015, 12:16 PM,
Vic thanks for all you done for me the last 8 years .
joe
#12 04-09-2015, 08:37 PM,
First Vic, I thank you for creating and maintaining this site. Six years ago I purchased my 86 Aspy and found this site. The wealth of information from this site and it's members is invaluable. I "might" have been able to improve and keep running my Wing without this site, but it defiantly would have been much harder. I'm glad to donate to keep the site running. I know I don't have the time to own or admin a site like this, but understand the time sink it takes. What I fear is that all the knowledge here might disappear. In a worse case scenario if this site is to shut down could you make it possible for members to down load the pages for future reference. Thanks again Vic.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#13 04-10-2015, 01:43 PM,
I certainly would not abandon everyone nor dispose of all this great information because it is just too hard to come by. Personally, for me, DONATIONS really help me keep my enthusiasm up for this website as that is hard evidence that I am really helping folks and that they appreciate the help. Without the donations I just feel like all my time and knowledge is used and abused by internet mongers who reap all the benefits of other people's hard work and many never, ever give back. At least with the DONATIONS I can readily see that my efforts are beneficial and worthwhile and meaningful to pursue in comparison to the actual workload involved. Therefore, DONATIONS keep this website alive and well and while they won't make me rich the DONATIONS will help to keep me inspired and contributing. I guess it's all relative, as they say:-)

#14 04-10-2015, 07:43 PM,
I MYSELF REALLY LOVE THIS SITE.Its time we raise some money with donations to keep this going.If vic can give his time to us we should be able to raise the money so that it doesn't cost him out of his pocket!

donation sent.Smile
#15 04-11-2015, 01:56 PM,