Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Repairing low gas indicator Light
The red low gas level light on my 1200 comes on at startup check..... but not at "almost Empty " so bulb is good.

As I understand it , this light is controlled by a wet-dry two resistance thermistor..
.. a NTC type.

Something like this :

http://www.newark.com/amphenol-advanced-...582-97-T10

They cost more to ship that to buy ( about $2).

I want to chat with someone who has actually done this fiddly repair .... and what I'd like to know , if I decide to do this is any snags I might run into ........

Is the soldering difficult ? How does one open the little can ? Is there any orientation needed ? Will this modern NTC from Newark actually fit in the little can? Any re-seal gaskets needed ?
Will it explode if I solder it incorrectly ?

Its not in either one of my GL1200 manuals ...they recommend replacing the entire unit ( !! )

I am assuming the little hanging down can in this pic is the thermistor unit as the other part looks like the float for the gas gauge.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z...36;_35.JPG

Thanks for any help .

SilverDave
#1 03-27-2015, 07:52 PM,
My 84I had the same situation.

What I did was simply clean the outer casing of 'the can' as you describe.
I plugged the fuel level assembly into the bikes harness and powered it up to test the sender and the low level sensor by manually moving the float to simulate a fuel level and a low fuel level.
In order to test properly, the plate which is bolted to the top of the tank needs to be grounded.
I covered the opened fuel tank to minimize fumes, and I did this in a well ventilated area.
Just use caution while doing your testing.
I continued to clean the outer casing and test and eventually the low fuel level sensor started to work.
Good Luck and again, use caution.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#2 03-28-2015, 11:05 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  license plate light, neutral light, front brake light problems steelhorseangel 8 1,414 07-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Last Post: bs175dths
  84 Aspencade - repairing wiring after the fire gronk99 6 592 02-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Last Post: 85GL1200I
  Dash Indicator Light 2 314 04-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Last Post: William_86