Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
85 LTD Fuel Injection help needed.
I recently purchased an 85 LTD from an estate sale. It has 37000 KMs on hte odometer and hasn't been ridden since 1996. As you might expect, the gas tank was a write-off. I picked one up from a bike that was running when it came off the road to part it out. I have that installed, installed a new from Honda fuel filter and everything seems hunky dory, except it wont start. The first injector test the manual suggests is to turn the bike on and crack the throttle. You're supposed to hear the injector "click". They don't elaborate as to what the click is supposed to sound like or how loud it should be. I can hear a click when the key goes on, the fuel pump runs for a few seconds then shuts off, but when I crack the throttle I don't hear a noticeable click. I hear something that might be a very quiet click, but that's it. Any opinions on that would be good to hear. The injectors have the proper impedence according to my Clymer manual. I have spark if I remove a plug and clamp it to the frame. I don't get any lights on the control module. None. Is there supposed to be anything visible there so you know it's still alive? Are there any nondestructive tests for the control module? The guy I got the tank from still had the contol module, so I think I will buy it on spec, but how can you tell it's OK? I am working my way through the manual, but I think I may be at a dead end. I'm better at mechanical stuff than electronics.

So that's where I'm at. The bike is in exceptionally good condition. The paint, chrome and upholstery are all in grade A trim. Now I just need to get it running. If anyone knows a Fuel Injection Savant I would love to get a referal. My garage is somewhat heated so if someone does house calls, we'll be relatively comfortable. I have a trailer so can travel anywhere within reason.
#1 01-25-2015, 12:58 PM,
Cant really help you with the LTD Roy but someone will be along shortly I am sure.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 01-25-2015, 04:21 PM,
(01-25-2015, 04:21 PM)SIR tricky Wrote: Cant really help you with the LTD Roy but someone will be along shortly I am sure.

Thanks, Sir Tricky. Of course I thought of you first, but I know these fuelies are a bitch. It's from sitting I'm sure. It can't be much, so I will be sure to ride it out to your ranch when I have it solved. You'll like it. It's really cherry.
#3 01-25-2015, 04:52 PM,
My first thought is this, is 37,000 km normal miles for a bike in that part of the globe, which was ridden for 11 years?
It has been my experience that low miles can mean either, the vehicle wasn’t used for lack of time to use, or, it wasn’t used because it wouldn’t work.
….just an observation.

As with any motorcycle, once the ignition is turned on, the instruments should respond. The displays will go through a ‘test display’ to show that all the LCD’s are working properly.
Check all fuses.
I am looking at the schematic for a 1986 Aspencade (which may or may not be the same as your LTD), other than the 30A main fuse, and the fuses and relays in the fuse box, there is a 3A fuse which comes from the ignition switch and goes to the LCD Meter, the Radio/Cassette Deck and the Clock.
If the clock or the radio are getting power, then the fuse is good.
If none of these are getting power, then the fuse may be blown.
Unfortunately, I don’t know where that fuse is located. I looked at the fairing and radio harness diagrams and can’t locate a 3A fuse in them. Maybe another member can shed more light.
Search the youtube website for demonstrations of what should be happening when you turn the key to the ON position.

I too am not an EFI guy but I suppose there are things you could test to verify the different systems.
Use common sense………..
With a known good battery:
Pull all of the spark plugs, tie each one of the plugs to a good ground, keeping them away from the spark plug hole (unless you want to see a flame) turn the fuel off, move the OFF-RUN-OFF switch to RUN, key in the ON position and depress the starter button – are all of the spark plugs arching? If so, what color is the spark? (Blue (strong), yellow (not-so strong))

Same scenario but this time you are looking to identify what is clicking when the key is turned to the ON position……
Put your finger on each injector (or if you have a stethoscope or use an assistant) then turn the key to the ON position. Is the click coming from the injector? If it is, good that should mean the part of the system which tells the injector to open is getting a signal and the signal is getting to the injector(s).
The click may also be the fuel pump relay turning the fuel pump on.
The fuel pump may also be the generator of the CLICK sound you hear.

The EFI system has a number of sensors which I am not familiar with….. sorry, but you can check for air, spark, and fuel.

I should also mention the Fuel Injection section available for your late night reading pleasure. -Enjoy the info.

This forum has access to EFI knowledge and trouble shooters. They will be chiming in shortly.

Rest assured, all that you seek, will be found and the LTD will be on the road again shortly…….

-Ride On

I keep finding more stuff as I read through the Fuel Injection section:
http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/sh...p?tid=5820
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#4 01-26-2015, 12:41 PM,
Thanks for that. I'm not certain why the KMs are so low. What I do know is that the previous owner had about 15 driveable classic , custom and special interest cars and a few motorcycles. He had also been in poor health for a while. I really don't know a great deal about the history of the bike or the owner, but it was just too pretty to walk away from. But I will print your reply and run through all that stuff soon. I've read the FI section of my Clymer manual more than once, some sections several times and I'm sure I'll read it all again. I also went to that older link from '09. The part about squirting gas into the vacuum port sounds interesting. Thanks again. I really appreciate the help.
#5 01-26-2015, 06:14 PM,
Roy have you tried the Steve Saunders forum, they have some knowledgeable LTD owners there.

www.goldwingfacts.com

#6 01-27-2015, 09:36 AM,
Smarter than us guys on here? Actually that was on my to do list for tonight. I'm just going to copy & paste my post over to there. Thanks for checking in, Sir Tricky. I need all the help I can get.
#7 01-27-2015, 05:23 PM,
have you checked to see if the fuel pump it actually working,there should be pressure to the fuel rail once the key is turned on

are you working with the ltd supplement?

pm sent
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#8 01-27-2015, 10:24 PM,
The fuel pump is running. My next step is to see if I am getting fuel pressure to the rail. I have the Clymer manual. It always has specific instructions pertaining to the LTD and it has a separate Fuel Injection section, but no LTD supplement as such. Thanks fo the help neoracer.
#9 01-28-2015, 03:16 AM,
I have a copy of the schematic for the LTD if you need it

#10 01-28-2015, 07:32 AM,
Hello Roy, The LTD has a screen filter in the line going into the fuel pump.
if that filter is clogged then you will not get enough pressure to get the engine to fire.
I also ride a LTD and i learned that problem the hard way.
Johan
#11 02-01-2015, 01:03 AM,
I have been off the forum for a couple of years, due to a right hip joint and a left knee joint both being so screwed up I couldn't get on my 85 LTD, I didn't even want to look at it because it would remind me of how much I wanted to ride it. So I covered it up and kind of forgot it (that didn't really work)
Now both joints have been replaced, and they work great, my strength is coming back, so it's going to be riding time this summer. Now I need a new battery.

Anyway back to your problem, I found all the manuals for my bike online, there some specialized ones from Honda for the LTD, but right now I can't tell you exactly where. I did find and buy the full 1985 GL1200 Electrical Troubleshooting manual on Ebay. You might watch there for books. At least you have the right general manual, the Haynes one doesn't seem to know fuel injection exists.

I will try and see if I can find the site where I downloaded the manuals.
Dave R
Patriot Guard Rider
Previous bikes[/size]
CT 90--- 1960 125 Benly (Honda)--- Insane minibike with 125 Honda motor--- 1982 CB 650
current bikes
1987 CN 250 Helix--- 1985 GL1200 LTD
#12 02-02-2015, 01:57 PM,
Thanks Dave. That would be great.
#13 02-02-2015, 05:07 PM,
I think this is it. you will have to register to view them but it is another good Goldwing site.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...iVn1hcbV-g
Dave R
Patriot Guard Rider
Previous bikes[/size]
CT 90--- 1960 125 Benly (Honda)--- Insane minibike with 125 Honda motor--- 1982 CB 650
current bikes
1987 CN 250 Helix--- 1985 GL1200 LTD
#14 02-02-2015, 07:10 PM,
Thanks to all who had some input on my problem. In the end, it turned out to be the injectors. I knew they would probably be gummed up but I expected I would get some flow through them. Apparently not. I had them cleaned and flow tested at the local turbo shop and reinstalled them yesterday. The Limited turned over about 5 times then sprung to life. It idles really smooth and the throttle response is excellent. I just have to reassemble the bike now and solve some brake and air suspension issues, but it's a tremendous relief to have the engine running. Thanks again for all your help.
#15 02-22-2015, 03:53 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Injection ECU codes/ rough idle and slow throttle respo cal757 16 8,917 02-01-2012, 05:23 AM
Last Post: cal757
  need help with LTD fuel injection JerryH 2 2,323 08-17-2011, 05:04 AM
Last Post: Calif Wingnut
  sei fuel parts needed 1 1,608 05-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Guest
  What is the advantag of fuel injection over carbs in gl 1200 4 2,807 03-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Last Post: admin
  I HAVE COMPUTER AND OTHER FUEL INJECTION PARTS IF YOU NEED admin 4 2,735 12-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Guest
  1986 fuel injection on a 1984 GL1200 ? 2 2,002 08-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Last Post: roscoepc
  Fuel Injection Computer Boards 4 3,071 08-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Last Post: catman