Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Squeak after tire change
This started in June, so not really a new, but a continuing problem.

Had a new rear tire mounted, and re-assembly was a pain as usual but was finally completed. Since I got back on the road I have had an annoying squeak. At first it was difficult to tell if it was coming from the front or back, but a short ride without the helmet located the noise from the back end. It seems to lessen in warm temps, and get worse when the bike is cool. Makes me think it is a rubber part. It is suspension related, only hear it when hitting bumps. I cannot re-create the noise with the bike either on the side stand or center stand. I thought it was the rubber pieces between the bags and rear bumper, but I removed those, cleaned and coated with WD40 to no avail. I think I may remove the bags and go for a ride.

Any ideas?

I know, turn the radio up. Big Grin
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#1 08-28-2014, 06:02 AM,
try lubing the shock rubber grommets
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 08-28-2014, 08:57 AM,
OK, I'm having a senior moment. Huh

Do you mean to remove the shock mount bolts and soak the rubbers in oil, or just give em a shot of WD40 with the bolts in?

Angry
#3 09-03-2014, 12:15 PM,
(09-03-2014, 12:15 PM)85GL1200I Wrote: OK, I'm having a senior moment. Huh

Do you mean to remove the shock mount bolts and soak the rubbers in oil, or just give em a shot of WD40 with the bolts in?

Angry

doubt that soaking would work any better than just taking nut off and spraying with wd40 or something similar
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 09-03-2014, 02:53 PM,
okee dokee
#5 09-03-2014, 03:49 PM,
okay.... I am late to this party.
OT at work is hard to walk away from these days.........

I hope the issue has been addressed, but if it hasn't, I had a similar situation after changing my tire.
In my case it was a misalignment of the rim to the final drive.
What I found was, the rim of the wheel was rubbing on the black, plastic of the final drive due to the misalignment.
Realigning was a two step process:
I.
I found after many, many services of the splines, old grease had packed in the final drive where the spline would slide in. I dug out a large amount of old, tired Moly. Once dug out, the spline slipped in and out of the final drive very easily, AND this made putting the wheel on MUCH easier.
II.
I loosened the four bolts which hold the final drive to the swing arm. Once I had the wheel on the final drive, I tightened those four bolts.

No more squeak coming from my rear end........... of the bike. (sorry folks! at 54, I'm still a kid)

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#6 09-17-2014, 08:57 AM,
Interesting, will keep that in mind, thanks
#7 09-18-2014, 10:16 AM,