Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Headlight Replacement
I am about to take my fairing and such off to change the speedometer and figured I might as well change the head light out while I am in that deep..Does anyone know or remember what the replacement "silver star" bulb number is...
How about a poll...how many folks have changed over to the silver star bulbs??
How do they rate in comparison to the regular bulbs we have stock??
#1 01-03-2007, 09:38 AM,
Tim,
When I changed mine I went with the Sylvania 9003CB (Cool Blue) version bulb. Seemed to provide a much cleaner and wider field of vision than the old stock bulb, no yellow tint or funny glare. When I compared it to my son-in-laws 1500 in a side by side night test I had much better field of vision than his with 2 bulbs.

Teacher on the Goldwingfacts.com forum also switched and was very pleased with the results this bulb gave. Don't know about some of the other brands but I was happy with this one. Cost about $11.00

TN
#2 01-05-2007, 10:02 PM,
I have discarded the ordinary H4 completly this winter. A company here in Sweden started selling Xenon light packages for motorcycles so I bought one since I have the same light on my car. The funny thing is if I connect to all the talk about LEDConfused that while giving a much brighter light picture than ordinary bulbs the Xenon only draws 35 watts compared to the H4 that draws 55/60 watts. Now the Xenon is a bit expensive but lifetime and security with better vision makes up for it.
#3 01-16-2007, 01:33 AM,
Add on to the last reply:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.xenonkungen.se/">http://www.xenonkungen.se/</a><!-- m -->

If you follow this link you will come to the site from whom I bought my Xenon. The thing is that on the firts page if you click on MC when you get to the next page they have a series of pictures where they have put the system in an SE-i. There is a lot of difference in light.
#4 01-16-2007, 02:31 AM,
It sure does look like the way to go for sure...I have read posts on different goldwing sites about the extra heat from these Xenon bulbs...It has been melting the shield in front that the light shines thru and also damaging the casing around the light because of the reflective material inside the standard goldwing isn't made for that kind of heat...perhaps someone who has been running this type of light can tell us first hand if this is actually the case...I guess that would mean that they would have to have taken the fairing apart since the new bulb install to know for sure whats going on inside the headlight assembly...
Funny thing is I don't understand the languge the website is written in so I have no idea what part number the xenon bulb would be for the 86 SEi...if you have it or remember what that number is I would greatly appreciate the translation please...lol
#5 01-22-2007, 09:16 AM,
Good point about the heat melting components Tim, but , I would like to know which components melt.

The headlight reflector is metal and the headlight lens is glass so it has got to be the fairing itself that is supposed to be melting yet I know a couple of guys who run the brighter and hotter bulbs and they have had no problems with anything melting in spite of one guy living in hot Southern California.

Seems like some guys just like to spread rumors but I would like to have the true facts on this isue.

Has anyone had any part of their bike's fairing or headlight melt due to installing a brighter than stock headlight?

Please no stories, just the facts so we can find the correct answer.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#6 01-22-2007, 10:07 AM,
Yeah, that's the problem with "facts"...they can sometimes be altered to suit someones mood...I would almost have to see actual pics of the damage and even then you can't know for sure if it was the bulb or a heat gun that did the deed...I am seriously considering the new xenon bulb and I really doubt it is any hotter than the standard bulb...I have already changed my running/taillights to the led's but have until now been unable to find the amber ones for the turn signals...I'll be placing an order soon for those as well...Of course,sitting on the bike it's hard to see the lights on the rear of the bike well but I can see that they have made a difference so far..I would also like to know for sure which wire on the flasher needs to be disconnected in order for the tail light warning light on the SEi dash to go out..it's very annoying and makes folks think something is wrong with my bike...lol
#7 01-23-2007, 07:28 AM,
I once added a (90W I think) off highway bulb on the headlight, illegal of course, but after several years of use it too started the degradation of the headlight connection. After dutifully cleaning and repairing the plug and returning to the regular 55W the problems ceased.
I shall be adding a pair of driving lights after the install of the external alternator that will give me any extra needed night vision that is when ever I venture or get caught out in the scary darkness Smile
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#8 01-23-2007, 09:33 AM,
Tricky, any signs of the plastic melting with the 90W bulb?

When you say connection, do you mean the electrical connection or did you mean where the headlight connects to the fairing?

#9 01-23-2007, 10:46 AM,
The actual plastic connection that holds the three wires onto the bulb. It was badly burnt. I took out the metal connectors, cleaned them applied some electric grease then replaced the bulb back to normal. No problems since.

Maybe I should have said coupler.

[Image: coupler.jpg]

#10 01-23-2007, 12:49 PM,
OK damnbigtim, I was wrong with it being the flasher. It is the black box that is behind the mess of stuff that has the main fuse in it.
:oops:

I removed the white wire from the connector and taped it up so it wouldn't ground out on anything and the light went out. I believe the box has something to do with the brake lights. I just cant remember what its called right now.

Help guys. What is it called? :?
#11 01-23-2007, 08:14 PM,
tricky Wrote:The actual plastic connection that holds the three wires onto the bulb. It was badly burnt. I took out the metal connectors, cleaned them applied some electric grease then replaced the bulb back to normal. No problems since.

Maybe I should have said coupler.

[Image: coupler.jpg]

I wonder how it might work out if you had soldered the connectors onto the bulb using a heat sink on the element side of the connections?

It would mean removing the coupler but you would certainly end up with a high conductivity connection at the headlight although replacement would be a lot more work when the bulb died eventually.

#12 01-24-2007, 04:29 PM,
It's fine now that I cleaned everything up and put the standard 55W bulb in there.

#13 01-24-2007, 06:08 PM,
How about the actual light output? Any real difference?

#14 01-24-2007, 07:54 PM,
Don't notice much difference but at least its on when I want it Smile

#15 01-24-2007, 08:58 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  brightest replacement bulb for headlight 84 aspencade yiterp 13 2,531 05-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Last Post: neoracer
  Headlight bulb replacement 6 1,422 04-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Last Post: admin
  Headlight replacement rott13 5 1,119 02-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Last Post: redwing1984