Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How many hours would dealer charge?
All:

I recently helped out a good friend and brand new Goldwing owner by cleaning and assembling his carbs, installing them, and then of course synching. I also installed new strut seals etc. which were leaking.

He bought the bike for a song, it's an '84 Aspencade. When we went and picked it up the bike wouldn't run. Owner said it hadn't been able to run for 4 years. We brought it to my house and I found all 4 carb slides were stuck in place. And I do mean immobile. I removed the carbs, disassembled and cleaned, and then reinstalled. The Aspy runs like a dream now. I wrote about this on the forum a few months ago.

Last night we were having a beer or two over here and he wanted to know how much a Honda dealer would have charged for the work we (I) did. I told him I have no idea as I've never dealt with a dealer before. What's a rough estimate from you guys about how many hours they would charge and approximate cost to accomplish what we did?

Thanks in advance,
DC
#1 08-17-2014, 06:39 PM,
(08-17-2014, 06:39 PM)DC44 Wrote: All:

I recently helped out a good friend and brand new Goldwing owner by cleaning and assembling his carbs, installing them, and then of course synching. I also installed new strut seals etc. which were leaking.

He bought the bike for a song, it's an '84 Aspencade. When we went and picked it up the bike wouldn't run. Owner said it hadn't been able to run for 4 years. We brought it to my house and I found all 4 carb slides were stuck in place. And I do mean immobile. I removed the carbs, disassembled and cleaned, and then reinstalled. The Aspy runs like a dream now. I wrote about this on the forum a few months ago.

Last night we were having a beer or two over here and he wanted to know how much a Honda dealer would have charged for the work we (I) did. I told him I have no idea as I've never dealt with a dealer before. What's a rough estimate from you guys about how many hours they would charge and approximate cost to accomplish what we did?

Thanks in advance,
DC

DC: Shop time in South Dakota is running $80.00 USD per hour. They start the time when the first nut is turned. The "Book" gives them an amount of time the work should take and that is usually their minimum...plus parts. How long did it take you?
#2 08-18-2014, 11:36 AM,
DC: Shop time in South Dakota is running $80.00 USD per hour. They start the time when the first nut is turned. The "Book" gives them an amount of time the work should take and that is usually their minimum...plus parts. How long did it take you?
------------------------------------------------------------

I really don't know how long it took. It was my first time to remove and disassemble a Goldwing carb. I was very careful and took my time. I know that in auto shops they have a "book" that gives them shop time to charge for jobs. I think I'll give a call to my local dealership and ask them how many hours they might charge to do the project if they didn't run into any problems.

Thanks,
DC
#3 08-18-2014, 07:51 PM,
i would bet the cost would be somewheres in the range of 7 to 800,if indeed you could find a local shop willing to work on an "old" goldwing
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 08-18-2014, 08:10 PM,
(08-18-2014, 08:10 PM)neoracer Wrote: i would bet the cost would be somewheres in the range of 7 to 800,if indeed you could find a local shop willing to work on an "old" goldwing

Thanks, that"s what I've been thinking.
#5 08-19-2014, 08:36 AM,
I had a set from an 1100 rebuilt - I took the carbs off and brought them in - 2.5 hours service is what they charged me
#6 08-24-2014, 02:24 PM,
Years ago I had an independent shop (not dealer affiliated) do - rear tire, fuel pump, remove and clean carbs, rear brake caliper rebuild, and a few odds and ends. The bill was over $1000. Keep in mind that back then a rear tire retailed for around $100. At the end of the day I didn't feel cheated. My bike will never sit for 10 years again!
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#7 08-28-2014, 05:52 AM,