Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.43 Average
Choosing between a 86 or a 87 model
Hi Everybody=)

Im going to buy my first Goldwing 1200, but Im not shure whitch one?

I have narrowed it Down to two bikes.

A Goldwing 1986, 72 074 km, kr 35 000,- $5635
(New brakes and tiers, changed cylinder gasket, problem With start relay)

http://www.finn.no/finn/mc/used/object?f...e=49836763

And a GL1200 1987, 85 000 km, kr 29 500,- $4749
(not so much info about this one yet, going to Call him today)

http://www.finn.no/finn/mc/used/object?f...e=49969113

I know stator probably need to be changed on both...

My gf tells me to buy the red one, cause its not ugly.
But I am considering the White one=)

Can you guys help me? Is there some difference between the 86 and 87?

Thanx
#1 07-18-2014, 02:04 AM,
The 86 looks like an Interstate, which is a carburated model, I see the emblems have been changed on the rear side luggage boxes that why I cant really tell the model.

The 87 looks to have been repainted (possibly) the side covers normally have an unpainted black section at the bottom. The antenna is missing, The dash and other parts which are normally black plastic have been painted.

Dont know the pricing in your country but if that is US$ the price is too high.

The Aspencades have a Digital Dash, the Interstates are Analog Gauges.

you could get the VIN numbers and check out what models they really are.

Photographs of the dash would gives us a better idea.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 07-18-2014, 04:15 AM,
It all depends on your perspective……
What are you going to do with the bike? Weekend use, Commuter, or somewhere in between?

Both look nice, have similar miles and are somewhat close in price.

I believe a bike less tampered with (fewest owners, fewest 'improvenemts') will have the fewest problems. That being said, the 87 was repainted and rebadged. It has 2000lbs of aftermarket chrome added which means more holes, more chance of leaks, more chance of cracks developing. Plus, that is a whole lotta polishing to keep her looking good. All that chrome may mean the two exposed carburetor caps may be chrome which may mean they are aftermarket and they are known to give performance problems due to not sealing as well as the originals. A radio was added using an external bracket which means either the bike didn't have a radio or the original radio needed to be replaced. In any case, the radio had to be spliced into the bikes electrical. The engine side panels, the covers for the calipers, the lower fork leg covers can all hide current or future problems. (and again, need to be polished to keep it looking its best.)
The radio antenna is missing. Why? Does the radio still get reception?
If you decide at some point the 87 has too much chrome, removing the parts may leave unsightly holes.

With both bikes: do ALL the electronics work? Radio, CB, lights, both horns, directionals, four-way flashers, high beam, low beam, running lights, brake lights and any additional lights. Take the time to check out the electronics. If you have a multimeter, test the volts going back to the battery. Look at the wireing harness. Does it look mangled or well kept?

Will you be doing all the work on the bike or will you be sending it out?

Honestly, I like the 86 for its simplicity, lack of required cleaning and polishing and in my opinion, the chrome gets lost on a white bike.

The price can always be agreed upon. Accessories can always be added without taking away from the looks.

After translating the two advertisements, I find it interesting that the 86 offers more information. The fact that he has had the bike for ten years and is reluctant to get rid of his bike, but would rather know it is out on the road and not being stored in a shed. He has an emotional tie with his bike. (GOOD)
The 87 offers no information but instead wants to be contacted if more information in needed. How long has he owned this bike? Did he repaint it? Why? To me, he comes across as only wanting to answer the questions you ask and not offering any additional information. (BAD)

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS:

Which one does your girlfriend like? Is she going to be riding with you? Which one does she want to be seen on?
If she is happy, you will be happy.
This does carry some weight in the decision making.

-Ride On

by the way, you can always keep looking.......
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 07-18-2014, 07:11 AM,
Yes thank you for youre anwsers.

I have just spoken to the seller and he knows very little.
He was going to ride Norway from north to south, but got heart problems.

Pricing is cheap compared to other bikes.
Probably not original carbs because the box with parts had carbs in it.
He have reseption on the radio.
Win: FC 144300871
He belived the bike have not been in a accident.
All eletric working.
Digital dash so it is probably a Aspencade

Red bike had blown top gasket in 2012 owner had it for 10 years. Newer had a problem beside that.
The start relay with conections do some times malefunction.

I will do most work myself.
Have 3 other bikes, but I want something that is almost maintenence freeSmile something i can drive to work 15min and
#4 07-18-2014, 08:31 AM,
I commute 2 hours a day on mine and I Love it!
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#5 07-18-2014, 08:37 AM,
Sorry but I was writing on my phoneand it got verry hard at the end of my previous post.

I was going to say that I am also going to drive to drive far far away.!!!

I'll Guess non of them have cruise controll. So is this hard/easy to install?

And the owner of the white bike only had one other bike a long time ago.. So probably just finnished his mid life crisis? I dont know=) lol
It was standing in a barn for a long time last year, his number is registrated to a secutitas number.... so he is not a EVIL seller. (I hope)

My GF want the Red one so I REALLY want the white one, because of that=) LOL

But the red one may be a better/safer buy......

Red bike have VIN number SC144200899

Just found out that when i search the License number on the white one i get Vin number SC144300871?

Do both of them have Integrated intercom?
#6 07-18-2014, 09:15 AM,
(07-18-2014, 09:15 AM)Gandrud86 Wrote: Sorry but I was writing on my phoneand it got verry hard at the end of my previous post.

I was going to say that I am also going to drive to drive far far away.!!!

I'll Guess non of them have cruise controll. So is this hard/easy to install?

And the owner of the white bike only had one other bike a long time ago.. So probably just finnished his mid life crisis? I dont know=) lol
It was standing in a barn for a long time last year, his number is registrated to a secutitas number.... so he is not a EVIL seller. (I hope)

My GF want the Red one so I REALLY want the white one, because of that=) LOL

But the red one may be a better/safer buy......

Red bike have VIN number SC144200899

Just found out that when i search the License number on the white one i get Vin number SC144300871?

Do both of them have Integrated intercom?

Adding cruise specifically meant for a bike, to your bike would be an easier task than retrofitting the old, factory system.
In the past I have read were folks have successfully added cruise from a car to their bike.
Heck, I have read where you can replace the defective stator of a GL1200 with an alternator from a Geo Metro....... LOL (sorry Poorboy)
Anything can be done as is proven with the video ADMIN gave the site showing how a team of folks replaced the cockpit, landing gear and props on an airplane which was downed in the Antartic. Anything is possible.

Both may have an integrated intercom, but it needs to be tested and the cables may be hard to locate. (ask the folks at this site for guidance)

I find it interesting that you found two bikes (1986 and 1987) whose VINs are almost 10,000 units away from each other. (99972 to be exact) what are the odds?

(go white - she will learn to Love it!)

-Ride On
#7 07-18-2014, 10:19 AM,
LOL Jea.. Thanks. Does any of you know how to find out where the bikes was made?

I know they made some for the Acian market but these two are made in USA?
Because they both have SC14? I saw that some Place but Im not shure...

Red one is Interstate with out intercom. And the white was Beige... So that probably is why it was repainted=)

Yea... I have no idea what I will choose...
there is this awkward silence when she is not nagging at me=) LOL

So I should probably choose the white one... So we have something to talk about=)
#8 07-18-2014, 10:37 AM,
(07-18-2014, 04:15 AM)SIR tricky Wrote: The 86 looks like an Interstate, which is a carburated model, I see the emblems have been changed on the rear side luggage boxes that why I cant really tell the model.

In '86, only the SE-i was a Fuel Injected model. That bike is light cream color and has the SE-i nameplate across the rear of the trunk. The non-digital dash on the one linked to seems to also point toward it being an Interstate model.

The '87 ALSO appears to have a non-digital dash and no "Aspencade" emblems anywhere that I can see. I would imagine it is an Interstate as well. Nothing in '87 was fuel injected.
#9 07-18-2014, 10:42 AM,
(07-18-2014, 10:42 AM)ember1205 Wrote:
(07-18-2014, 04:15 AM)SIR tricky Wrote: The 86 looks like an Interstate, which is a carburated model, I see the emblems have been changed on the rear side luggage boxes that why I cant really tell the model.

In '86, only the SE-i was a Fuel Injected model. That bike is light cream color and has the SE-i nameplate across the rear of the trunk. The non-digital dash on the one linked to seems to also point toward it being an Interstate model.

The '87 ALSO appears to have a non-digital dash and no "Aspencade" emblems anywhere that I can see. I would imagine it is an Interstate as well. Nothing in '87 was fuel injected.

Yes! I just saw that myself! The seller told med it had digital cluster... he probably ment the clock or something.. =(

What made me suspissius is that the white one did not have fotbards for passenger.

Thanks
#10 07-18-2014, 11:07 AM,
Hi again you guys=)

I have read so much now about Goldwings that it actually feels like I already own one=)

If I first buy a Goldwing monster I think it should be a Aspencade

I think I will try to get the price Down on this bike:

Honda Goldwing 1986, 100 000 km, kr 45 000,- ($7290)

http://www.finn.no/finn/mc/used/object?f...e=48699068

It have a New stator in 2013
2014 it got New sparks, New oilfilther, brakes, fork O-rings, Cruise Control, Computer,Air filther

I am going to Call him tomorrow=)
He lives in Trondheim and that is a just 6 hours away=)
#11 07-18-2014, 02:08 PM,
1HFSC142XGA214862

I can get it for $6480 (Cheap to consider Norwegian pricing and the work that is done)
#12 07-19-2014, 02:18 AM,
Yes hello guys, thanks for the help making me choose the best bike=)

I ended up with a GL 1200 Aspencade 86

Just fantastic to drive. Alway kept inside, and almost everything is originale.

But I was wondering if it is possible to make the spedometre show Kilometers instead of miles.

Arne G
#13 08-08-2014, 05:14 AM,
on the little unit on top of the forks there is a control for the tripmeter,on of the buttons should change the dash speedometer to read in km but the odometer will continue to be in miles
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#14 08-08-2014, 06:19 PM,
(08-08-2014, 06:19 PM)neoracer Wrote: on the little unit on top of the forks there is a control for the tripmeter,on of the buttons should change the dash speedometer to read in km but the odometer will continue to be in miles

Yes I know, but I have to do that every time I start up.
Is there a way to save the settings? So It willl always show kmh when I start up?

I did not get a manual With the bike, and did not find so much on Google?
#15 08-09-2014, 03:55 AM,