Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Yes it's me again clutch not working
clutch troubles master cylinder ran dry now clutch level is real soft and does not stiffen up when I try to bleed through bleeder valve? I can start in neutral but as soon as I shift to first bike jumps and dies tried to bleed with no change think I have air in the banjo bolts? do the top one first don't take it off just losing it then pump clutch level to remove air right? then do the bottom banjo bolt the same way? then bleed as normal does that sound about right?
#1 06-24-2014, 04:21 PM,
(06-24-2014, 04:21 PM)ironhead1970 Wrote: clutch troubles master cylinder ran dry now clutch level is real soft and does not stiffen up when I try to bleed through bleeder valve? I can start in neutral but as soon as I shift to first bike jumps and dies tried to bleed with no change think I have air in the banjo bolts? do the top one first don't take it off just losing it then pump clutch level to remove air right? then do the bottom banjo bolt the same way? then bleed as normal does that sound about right?

You may have to prime the master before you attempt bleeding the system as you describe.

Cover your bike to protect it from brake fluid.
Remove the banjo bolt at the master, there is no need to remove the master from the bike.
Add fresh DOT 4 to the master.
Put your thumb over where the banjo bolt was and as you slowly pull on the clutch lever, let your thumb allow some fluid (or air) pass out of the master. If you squeeze the clutch lever too fast, fluid will spray out of the masters cover.
Place your thumb tightly over the banjo bolt hole at the master and THEN release the clutch lever.
Repeat this process until only fluid is passing at the banjo bolt hole.
Reattach the banjo bolt and the hose.
Now try bleeding the system as you describe.

If you do spill any fluid on the bike or on the ground, flush with large quantities of water.

Good Luck and let us know how it all comes out.

BTW, why did the master lose fluid in the first place? That will be the next action item.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#2 06-24-2014, 09:16 PM,
I presume you meant to say to squeeze / release the CLUTCH lever and not the BRAKE lever in your guidance...
#3 06-25-2014, 06:44 AM,
(06-25-2014, 06:44 AM)ember1205 Wrote: I presume you meant to say to squeeze / release the CLUTCH lever and not the BRAKE lever in your guidance...

fixed!

.....it was late......

good catch!
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#4 06-25-2014, 09:47 AM,
Yes clutch
#5 06-27-2014, 09:04 AM,