Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1984 gl1200 radiator
I have a parts bike that I'm tearing down and after taking the radiator off I can see where it has been soldered on the bottom outlet. Looks ok but where I live there are NO radiator shops. I would like to clean it (inside) and then check it for leaks before storing it for parts. Any suggestions on either operation would be very helpful. Thanks in advance. Doc
Honda 55
Honda Super 90
Honda 160
Honda 305
Bultaco 250
Triumph T120R Bonneville
Honda 85 gl1200 aspy (present ride)
#1 01-28-2015, 01:53 PM,
I did read at one time about this but I never tried it.

when you have the lower plastic and bar clamps off, loosten the lower engine mount bolt, which goes all he way across and leave the nut side almost off, and turn the bolt head side so it will move. You might need some WD-40 on it. Tap the engine mount bolt so the crash bar flops down. You can twist it out between the pipes, it's easier than it sounds. You don't need to remove the shift lever either. I would not touch the exhaust unless you have a ticking sound coming from it. It can be a real bugger to get the pipes in the heads if you don't have help. Paul
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 01-29-2015, 10:53 AM,
Cleaning:
Sufficiently support the radiator in an up-side-down position and reverse flush with distilled water.
Catch the water so you can see if the stuff coming out is clear (or cloudy) and is flushing out any debris.

Dry using your wife’s OLD blow dryer (which she doesn’t need any more since you just bought her a brand new one!!)

Store so dirt, insects, or rodents, can’t destroy what you are trying to save. Remember to let the inside of the radiator breathe.
Plugging both inlet and outlet may cause internal deterioration due to thermal cycling.

Good Luck.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 02-04-2015, 02:42 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GENUINE HONDA GL1200 GL 1200 IG INTERSTATE GOLDWING 1987 RADIATOR RAD steelhorseangel 8 4,224 07-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Last Post: steelhorseangel
  Gl1200 aspencade 1984 Gadgit 15 5,272 11-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Gadgit