Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
coolant head ach
I had a problem with white smoke puffing out right side exhaust. Broke down and replaced head gasket,sent head off to machine shop to check and do what they do. Put bike back together, and since then, rode about 750 miles, everything working as should until the other day! Got within 5 miles of home and seen temp rising and not dropping with air flow. Got home, noticed overflow tank full, hour later, overflow tank dry. Checked coolant, took about 8oz to top radiator. Drove 10 miles round trip Sunday to Church, okay. Rode again 10 miles round trip last night to Church, temp rose within 1 bar of red as I arrived home. Checked overflow bottle, full to top, hour later, empty. Why is this happening? I did replace thermostat when I done head gasket, could this have been a bad thermostat or have gone bad that quick? I am starting to spend more time working on this bike than riding it. I was told to change thermostat as well as cap, and gonna do that today. Been using Prestone 50/50 for a couple of years, but have notice that the past couple of gallons I bought no longer say of front of jug silica free. None of the prestone products say silica free anymore. Please help me!!!!! Thanks, Steve
#1 06-05-2014, 05:58 AM,
Have you checked the water pump?
#2 06-05-2014, 06:52 AM,
Did you replace both head gaskets?
Check for coolant in oil
I use Honda premix from the Honda auto dealer
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 06-05-2014, 09:55 AM,
don't forget to check the working condition of the radiator fan, its thermal switch and associated wiring.

I wired an idicator light in parallel to the fan so I could learn at what temp. the fan comes on.
When the temp gets past that (or more precisely, when I get nervous) I manually switch the radiator fan on. (oh, I also added a switch)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#4 06-05-2014, 03:45 PM,