Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
baffel removal
...... not sure I want to go ahead with this, but .... to confirm .... one can remove the baffels out of an 84 Interstate OEM by just drilling out pop rivits found on the underside of the tail pipe, use a little encouragement such as the threaded rod/washer/ nail puller concept to break baffel free of carbon etc? Ok, now its out ... yes? .... it can be reinstalled using metal screws where the rivits came out? Can baffel be reduced in size rather than running with nothing at all? Ran Jardines on my 80/1100 for a few years then went back to OEM thinking Jardines a little to loud for peacefully gliding thru the Kettle Moraines of Wisconsin ..... got a stereo now too! ...... but still would like a bit more rumble ( old school hot rodder at heart vs wanna be HD thumper! ) ...... an exhaust tip option I went to last year is I picked up a set of 2 1/2" double port stainless tips for a Charger/Camero and with a little squeezing and anvi work got them into the OEM tips, fabricated some 3/8' rod hangers off the bags to stabilze. They exit barely an inch past the bottom of the bags, look pretty damn good and I think they actually add a little to the "rumble" ..... said to do same for your Charger?! ... Crowe ....Cool
#1 04-09-2014, 09:47 AM,
Be aware that removing the baffles could possibly lean out the fuel mixture and reduce power. If a plug check does show that it's running lean place a washer under the needle to richen the mixture while cruising and increase the pilot jet size if there is a noticeable stumble on acceleration.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 04-09-2014, 05:45 PM,
(04-09-2014, 05:45 PM)admin Wrote: Be aware that removing the baffles could possibly lean out the fuel mixture and reduce power. If a plug check does show that it's running lean place a washer under the needle to richen the mixture while cruising and increase the pilot jet size if there is a noticeable stumble on acceleration.

....... thanks for that, on my 80/1100 install of Jardines made no difference other the decibel level, very healthy, just that at cruise speed remained a little too much for that "peaceful" glide thru the twisty forest roads .... also. my one fear about removing the baffels from the OEM, seems might be worth the try as long as I can plug them back in ... the Jardines were what they were ...... still have those and thinking of parting them out, just saying ....
#3 04-10-2014, 03:52 AM,