Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
86 1200I: Stuck rear axle nut
All:

I need some suggestions. I am taking off my rear wheel to replace the tire and have run into an axle nut that isn't coming off. I replaced a rear tire over a year ago and don't remember this nut being a problem.

The manual shows a socket being used to remove the nut, the nut on my axle is half round with two flat areas opposite one another. Because of this the flat will only allow an open 17mm wrench to be used. The nut is on so tight that it is starting to round, or it would round if I continue the same procedure.

Got any ideas? Also are some axle nuts a regular shaped nut without round areas?

Thanks in advance, I need to get this taken care of immediately if not sooner.

best,
DC
#1 01-21-2014, 07:20 PM,
the axle nut is on the right side,i believe u are referring to the left side which is part of the axle shaft

the axle nut is probably about 24-28mm,after checking the toolkit the axle nut is 27mm
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 01-21-2014, 07:41 PM,
(01-21-2014, 07:41 PM)neoracer Wrote: the axle nut is on the right side,i believe u are referring to the left side which is part of the axle shaft

the axle nut is probably about 24-28mm

Okay, I just qualified for the Goldwing "idiot" club! Big Grin The end of the axle on the left side was what I was attempting to turn, the flat spots of course are to hold the axle stationary while tightening the right side nut.

Thanks! You just made my day even though I have to admit to a brain freeze.

best,
DC
#3 01-21-2014, 07:55 PM,
dont feel bad we have all had those days,dont ask about the times i've left my kickstand down and nearly ran off road trying to get it back up

word of caution,never try to pull off to side of road to fix,next time i'll stop in middle of road regardless of traffic PERIOD
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 01-21-2014, 09:23 PM,
DC

I have regular brain freezes. Don't sweat it.

:-)

BTW, I bought a socket to fit that axle nut years ago. Loosens fairly easily with a 1/2 breaker bar. No way I could turn that baby with a wrench.
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#5 01-22-2014, 10:49 AM,
Sounds like you got it sorted out just fine thanks to neoracer. Next time, if you decide to turn the left side of the axle, start out by loosening/removing the large nut on the right side of the axle, then loosen the pinch bolt at the bottom rear of the left side of the swing arm and then you'll be able to spin the flat sides of the axle quite easily.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#6 01-23-2014, 08:17 AM,
we are a small, supportive group of folks so your 'brain freeze' won't go viral.

I once was called to aid a friend who could not et spark on his dual-purpose bike.
He hadn't run it in awhile and was afraid it had an electrical problem.
When I got there, he had drained, flushed and filled the gas tank, installed a new spark plug and was in the process of checking for electrons at the key switch and coil with the aid of a car battery.

I convinced him to put it all back together and try one more time.
I suggested he go through his normal start-up routine: fuel, on; key switch, on; stop-run-stop switch, off. - oops!
He switched it to run, set the compression release, a half-hearted kick and the bike roared to life.
(I noticed the switch in the stop position when I first walked up)

Stuff Happens
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#7 01-23-2014, 09:39 AM,
(01-23-2014, 08:17 AM)admin Wrote: Sounds like you got it sorted out just fine thanks to neoracer. Next time, if you decide to turn the left side of the axle, start out by loosening/removing the large nut on the right side of the axle, then loosen the pinch bolt at the bottom rear of the left side of the swing arm and then you'll be able to spin the flat sides of the axle quite easily.

I don't think on my next tire change I'll be trying to turn the left side of the axle. Smile This is the second rear tire change for me and I didn't remember everything about the first change. (Obviously)

This is a great forum, thanks.

(01-23-2014, 09:39 AM)bs175dths Wrote: we are a small, supportive group of folks so your 'brain freeze' won't go viral.

Stuff Happens

I appreciate it. BTW: The '84 Aspencade you gave me tips on about the carb is running like a lightning bolt. My friend bought it for $650. (I found it on Craigslist) The young owner didn't want to mess with it anymore, "It wouldn't run". I pulled the carbs, took them apart and cleaned them, put them back on, and it runs fantastic.

I've learned I've got work to do on my '86 Interstate, it is fast, but nothing like the '84 Aspy now.
#8 01-24-2014, 07:50 PM,
glad we can help
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#9 01-27-2014, 04:11 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear axle ironhead1970 5 4,155 03-27-2014, 07:20 AM
Last Post: bs175dths