Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Turn signal/Stop light/ Strange behaviour
All:

Before I describe this sudden and baffling problem I want to say that the bike had not been worked on in any way before this started happening. Just wanted to get that out there so you know the solution isn't that someone hooked a connector up wrong. Thanks.

I use my '86 Interstate daily as my transportation. 2 days ago I turned on my left blinker and for the first time ever the "Tail light" dash light came on. I figured a bulb was out so I bought a new one for the left turn signal. It was night when I picked up the bulb but before installing it I performed a visual check to see how all my lights were working. To my surprise when I turned on the left blinker (before installing the new bulb) the RED tail light which is also the brake light, was blinking fairly bright and the actual left blinker bulb was very dim but blinking. When I pressed the brakes on the YELLOW left blinker came on very bright and the center RED light, which should have been on bright, was off. ?????

I pulled the left light assembly and installed the new bulb, same problem as before. Next I turned on the emergency flashers....the left YELLOW blinker was flashing off and on and the center RED light which should have been blinking was off. I'm baffled by this and need suggestions. The right side lights work perfectly. What I don't understand is (any of this truthfully) is why the left Yellow blinker light has assumed the duties of the Red tail light/brake light and the Red TL is now a blinker. More strange is the Red tail light works normally as a tail light but acts haunted when the blinker is turned on.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
DC
#1 03-27-2013, 02:40 PM,
check your grounds
#2 03-27-2013, 03:49 PM,
(03-27-2013, 03:49 PM)dennislp Wrote: check your grounds

I'll do that. I suppose I follow the lines back to the flasher under the seat? At that location I believe there is only the flasher and if the ground is the problem then why does the Right side continue to work perfectly?

Will report back, open to any and all solutions. Thanks
#3 03-27-2013, 04:17 PM,
install a Gremlin Bell......
Check the plastic plugs from the lights which are acting up, to the left hand control switches. One or more of the plastic plugs may have picked up something which is allowing the two separate circuits to be crossed. Or, there may be a build up of corrosion within a plastic plug, causing a short.
I suspect the first plastic plug where the two circuits meet, to later join the main harness. Being back around the rear wheel, electrical can go bad from the tire throwing stuff around.

Good Luck.
BTW - anyone who has chased an electrical problem will swear, THEY MOVE!

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#4 04-02-2013, 12:20 PM,
Check Grounds for sure positive is shorting out to ground somewhere, at least that's what i found when I started having the same types of problems (bells are for cows, do you have one?)
#5 04-02-2013, 04:27 PM,
as well as checking grounds, I would unplug all connectors, clean if dirty, and firmly re-seat. The engineers where I work re-seat boards and connectors all the time to clear problems.
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#6 04-02-2013, 04:30 PM,
(04-02-2013, 04:30 PM)85GL1200I Wrote: as well as checking grounds, I would unplug all connectors, clean if dirty, and firmly re-seat. The engineers where I work re-seat boards and connectors all the time to clear problems.

I'll clean all of the connectors to see if this helps. I'm wondering where a short to ground might be that would cause the two lights to switch jobs. Big Grin

This kind of reminds me of my first Jaguar that was made in '71, beautiful car but was haunted with electrical gremlins. I don't think our Goldwings are like that though, this is a routine problem with a bike that was born in 1986.

I appreciate all of the suggestions, thanks.

DC
#7 04-02-2013, 08:59 PM,
......start with under the seat. A pinched bundle of wires will work until the miles and weight on the seat will cause wires to splice. Were you going to clean the male and female terminals while they are still in their plastic, plug housings? Try it that way and add some dielectric before reconnecting them. If you decide to disassemble the terminals from the plastic plug, remove one terminal at a time so as not to mix up the order in the plug.

Tracking down a short takes time, so don't be rushed. You will eventually finish and hopefully solve your current situation.

-Ride On
#8 04-02-2013, 10:28 PM,
(04-02-2013, 10:28 PM)bs175dths Wrote: ......start with under the seat. A pinched bundle of wires will work until the miles and weight on the seat will cause wires to splice.

Tracking down a short takes time, so don't be rushed. You will eventually finish and hopefully solve your current situation.

-Ride On

I wanted to get back with everyone and thank all of you for your suggestions. The grounds were the problem. The wires below the seat area, under the top box, had 3 that were rubbed to bare wire. I cut out the bad areas, spliced in new wire, a voila! All lights work as they should.

The knowledge here is impressive, thanks.

best,
DC
#9 01-07-2014, 07:33 PM,
(04-02-2013, 04:30 PM)85GL1200I Wrote: as well as checking grounds, I would unplug all connectors, clean if dirty, and firmly re-seat. The engineers where I work re-seat boards and connectors all the time to clear problems.

This is absolutely great advice. We take the seat off once a year unplug all connections spray them with a good quality electrical contact cleaner and plug them in again. On the LTD and SEI there are several plugs in the Faux tank...we do these first its surprising what trouble this will prevent by just keeping all the connections clean and securely plugged in. I lost the digital speedo readout about a year ago, unplugged all connectors in the Faux tank sprayed them plugged them in again..got he speedo back and its been good every since.Things definetly vibrate loose or corrode with that green grundge from time to time so unpluging spraying and reconnecting helps insure solid clean connections and is part of preventative maintenance on these bikes.
#10 01-08-2014, 11:15 AM,
(01-07-2014, 07:33 PM)DC44 Wrote:
(04-02-2013, 10:28 PM)bs175dths Wrote: ......start with under the seat. A pinched bundle of wires will work until the miles and weight on the seat will cause wires to splice.

-Ride On

I wanted to get back with everyone and thank all of you for your suggestions. The grounds were the problem. The wires below the seat area, under the top box, had 3 that were rubbed to bare wire. I cut out the bad areas, spliced in new wire, a voila! All lights work as they should.

The knowledge here is impressive, thanks.

best,
DC

I am glad it was an easy fix once found.

BTW....... mooooooo Smile
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#11 01-13-2014, 03:27 PM,
Quote: BTW....... mooooooo Smile

Got a steer loose in your garage? Big Grin

Again, thanks for the great advice.

best,
DC
#12 01-16-2014, 07:10 PM,
And it only took you 9 months to find it!
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#13 01-17-2014, 11:17 AM,
it's because those pesky electrons moooooooooove around so much, they are difficult to trace.
#14 01-17-2014, 01:09 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Left, but no right turn signal Gistsc72 1 236 11-28-2023, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Gistsc72
  Wonky Signal Light 8th_Hussar 1 1,860 07-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Last Post: bs175dths
  turn signal problem 85GL1200I 5 2,592 08-13-2013, 08:26 AM
  license plate light, neutral light, front brake light problems steelhorseangel 8 4,742 07-16-2013, 03:35 PM
  Turn Signal Woes 90Blazer 5 2,238 04-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Last Post: Burnout
  Mystery short on right turn signal Garycw 5 2,310 01-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Last Post: firstwing85
  change out of rear stop/tail light and turn signals waltharper 4 2,322 06-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Last Post: JerryH
  problem with head light and turn signal 3 1,795 09-09-2010, 09:31 AM
  Location, In Line Turn Signal Sub Fuse, 84 A 1 1,263 08-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Guest
  Turn signal question mtnsurgtech 10 3,590 05-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Guest