Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Hello from Alberta Canada :)
Hey guys!

Hope I'm posting this intro in the right place, if not, could a mod kindly move it to where it's supposed to be? Thank you Smile.

For the intro part, my name is Stew and I'm 45. I bought an 86 GL1200 Aspencade last May that I love. The bike was well cared for and is in good condition. I rode it for around 5,000 or so kilometers last summer, mostly back and forth to work and short trips plus 2 motorcycle rally's. Bike has run flawlessly and I haven't had any problems with it. Impressed the heck out of me with it's power and smooth running! I'm a single dad and am planning to do some longer trips next summer with my son. Icefield Parkway in the mountains and a trip to Vancouver hopefully.

I'm glad to have found this forum dedicated to the 1200's, I'm sure it will be invaluable as I try to keep the old girl running in the future. Here's a pic of my GL Smile. Sorry, it's not a great pic, thought I had more of the Wing in my Photobucket account.

[Image: 20130526_110417_zps51163f7a.jpg]
#1 12-28-2013, 07:49 AM,
Nice Bike, she's a clean machine. Welcome to the group from Vancouver Island. Taking your son on trips when he's young is special. I took many trips with my young son back in the day, he was 12 when we took our first long trip together and camped with trailer in tow.He learned to ride on dirt bikes in his teens and today he's 38 and rides with me on tour. He's had five goldwings to date 2 GL1100's and 3 GL 1200's and is the residence bike mechanic in the family.If I had it to do over again I would'nt change a thing its been a blast all these years riding with him.
I moved here to Vancouver Island last year to be near him and the mild weather after I retired, now we ride together year round, living the dream. Nope we would'nt change a thing. Cool

Robert
#2 12-28-2013, 11:39 AM,
Welcome aboard. I see by the picture you have a twin to an '86 we had prior to finding our '84.

Whereabouts are you in this flat province?
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#3 12-28-2013, 04:19 PM,
Thanks for the welcome guys! Smile

I live about 45 minutes North of Edmonton in the town of Redwater. Lol, it is a flat province isn't it? I really need a bike trip to the mountains this summer Big Grin.
#4 12-28-2013, 05:28 PM,
Welcome Subzero. Lots of good information in this forum as you probly already know.
Lew

1987 GL1200A
2009 BMW R1200GS
#5 12-28-2013, 06:41 PM,
(12-28-2013, 05:28 PM)Subzero Wrote: Thanks for the welcome guys! Smile

I live about 45 minutes North of Edmonton in the town of Redwater. Lol, it is a flat province isn't it? I really need a bike trip to the mountains this summer Big Grin.

Is Whitecourt North of you?. The trip through the Rockies in summer is well worth it. I say summer.. like July August because the Icefields are cool even in July.The trip to Edson then on to Jasper and down the corridor to Banff is breath taking on a bike and no semi's allowed,its vacation land.one of our favourite trips. We spent the last several years traveling State side Washington,Idaho,Montana,Oregon, California and I think 2014 is our year for a circle tour again through the Rockies. Mt. Robson is so majestic and every time I see it I say "Yes it "IS" as big as I thought it was" This is the time of year to plan ahead.
Robert,
Smile
#6 12-28-2013, 06:48 PM,
(12-28-2013, 06:48 PM)sparky65 Wrote:
(12-28-2013, 05:28 PM)Subzero Wrote: Thanks for the welcome guys! Smile

Is Whitecourt North of you?. The trip through the Rockies in summer is well worth it. I say summer.. like July August because the Icefields are cool even in July.The trip to Edson then on to Jasper and down the corridor to Banff is breath taking on a bike and no semi's allowed,its vacation land.one of our favourite trips. We spent the last several years traveling State side Washington,Idaho,Montana,Oregon, California and I think 2014 is our year for a circle tour again through the Rockies. Mt. Robson is so majestic and every time I see it I say "Yes it "IS" as big as I thought it was" This is the time of year to plan ahead.
Robert,
Smile

Not much farther North, but a little farther West Smile.
I'm thinking of doing the Parkway ride from Jasper to Banff first, then if everything goes well and the old girl holds together we'll head for Vancouver on the next trip. I've done the Parkway in a car a few times, but it seems sooo much more suited to a bike! I think the Aspencade will do fine, it pretty much purrs. Only thing I had happen on it was it picked up a tick (sounds like a lifter) after I changed the oil. I might try a different grade of oil or a synthetic to see if it goes away. It doesn't really bother me though and it only does it when it's hot and idling. Hasn't effected power or anything so I'll just try a different brand of oil and see it it likes that better.

Cheers,
Stew
#7 12-28-2013, 07:26 PM,
welcome to the forum from mid md/pa area
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#8 12-28-2013, 11:32 PM,
We know Redwater as we lived in Morinville for about 5 years.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#9 12-29-2013, 08:08 AM,
Nice looking ride - I hear you guys have has some cold weather already this winter..
#10 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM,
Yup, we've had some cold snaps and a few warmer days with freezing rain. I think I much prefer it to stay cooler vs getting the freezing rain, at least I can shovel the snow! Last year I don't think I got my KLR out until sometime in later April, and then I purchased the Aspencade in May and used it for the summer commuting back and forth to work and a few rally's.

Lol, I have my fingers crossed we get an earlier spring this year but I'm not holding my breath! Smile

(12-29-2013, 08:08 AM)Keener Wrote: We know Redwater as we lived in Morinville for about 5 years.

Morinville! Heck, you were just a hop skip and a jump from me Smile
#11 12-30-2013, 12:06 PM,
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Nice looking Wing you have there.
Life's uncertain, eat dessert first. :D
#12 12-30-2013, 08:22 PM,
Greetings from Massachusetts! Excellent Wing, I have the same year and color, I've just "Bling'd" mine out quite a bit.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#13 01-03-2014, 12:20 PM,
Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone, I'm enjoying going through the threads and finding out more about the 1200's Smile. Wishing it wasn't so long until spring so I could get riding again.
#14 01-03-2014, 02:16 PM,
hello and welcome from Aldergrove BC. I lived in AB for 27 years, 10 of those years in the Stony Plain Area,
I've hauled many loads out of Redwater as a truck driver.
when you come out to the Vancouver area contact me and I'll be happy to meet you and if it works out I'll be happy to go for a ride with you. :-)
Johan
#15 01-10-2014, 01:21 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New from Cochrane, Alberta Milesofsmiles 9 10,248 09-18-2017, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky