Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Head Gaskets
First, sorry I haven't been around lately, I recently moved and am still getting settled into my new home and job.

Next, big issue, Blown Head Gaskets...

How hard are they to replace and does anyone know of a good place to buy new ones?

Next issue:
The replacement sight glass... After you have installed them, be sure that you loosen your master cylinder cover when you change your brakes. When I compressed my caliper to install new brake pads I blew a sight glass right out of the master cylinder.
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#1 12-17-2013, 04:24 PM,
head gaskets, not a bad job, need a manual and follow instructions.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 12-17-2013, 06:22 PM,
I did mine, like Tricky said take your time, not a bad job. I used Honda OEM gaskets, very good quality. I had my radiator steamed out and checked while it was off, it was in good shape. If you need help along the way you know where to ask......
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#3 12-18-2013, 12:19 PM,
As already commented, tedious but not hard job. Can be done in the frame. Cleaning old gaskets is the hardest part.
#4 12-20-2013, 03:11 PM,
Cleaning old gaskets is the hardest part.

Agreed. Buy some gasket remover, it doesn't remove the gaskets, but if you peel them off it helps to soften the residue left on the surfaces. I scraped mine off with a flat razor scraper. Don't gouge those heads, they are pretty soft.
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#5 12-20-2013, 10:37 PM,
Thanks for the feedback guys, not having net in my house makes communication difficult!
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#6 01-10-2014, 10:07 AM,
(01-10-2014, 10:07 AM)wildhorse Wrote: Thanks for the feedback guys, not having net in my house makes communication difficult!

The best place I've found is western honda in arizona. Their prices compare well with the other suppliers and shipping in not too unreasonable. P/N 12251-MG9-306, $41.05 each.
Got to http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_section_detail.asp to take a look.

Tom
#7 01-10-2014, 06:46 PM,
as mentioned:
use Honda head gaskets - no worries after that
cleaning the old gasket material off IS the hardest because it is so important NOT to damage the surface you are cleaning, you need to remove ALL the old material, and it needs to be done on FOUR surfaces!

- also get new water port o rings (4X) and the two flat gaskets for the water ports-to-head surfaces
- there are two oil orifices (one in each head) and they take two different sized o rings (two different sizes for EACH orifice)

if they are not plyable, replace the valve cover gaskets too

I like to read, read again, then reread the procedure so I can minimize the surprises.

Good Luck!

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#8 01-13-2014, 01:17 PM,
When installing the new head gaskets double check you don't install them backwards. Although the gaskets "seem" to look reversible, if installed backwards the oil return port on the bottom of the head, that's where the 6mm bolt goes, will not seal. Yes, I learned the hard way. All assembled and running and OMG why is there oil pissing all over the ground?!!
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#9 01-18-2014, 03:35 AM,
like the Harley-Davidsons and Corvairs of ole,....... they mark their territory
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#10 01-23-2014, 10:58 AM,