Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major smoke problem
Hello all,

Just a few weeks ago I took my first ride on the new to me goldwing and found several other things that need to be worked out before I would trust it on a longer ride. At that point it started and purred like a kitten. Now just a week later I tried to start and I have to have the choke all the way open to get it to idle at 1000 rpms and it smokes like crazy. I have turned off the choke after a few mins and it started to die but kept running at about 500 rpms. However it still is smoking like crazy even with the choke off. Any ideas as to what needs to added to the list of things to fix it over the winter?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
#1 10-31-2013, 06:18 PM,
White smoke, black smoke? What do the plugs look like? Are you losing coolant?
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#2 11-01-2013, 07:59 AM,
(11-01-2013, 07:59 AM)Frank Wrote: White smoke, black smoke? What do the plugs look like? Are you losing coolant?

Its white smoke, and I just put new plugs in a few weeks ago would these go bad again? I'm not sure on the coolant I will have to check.
#3 11-01-2013, 08:24 AM,
white smoke that has a sweet smell would mean that a head gasket is leaking,smoke that is somewhat greyish would mean that the rings are shot or you have valve seals that are bad and would need changing,might even be that the valve guides could be worn
what you are going to have to do is turn up the idle speed so that u can attempt to diagnose some problems with the choke off
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 11-01-2013, 11:56 AM,
Have you checked the oil to make sure that the level is not too high? Sometimes a sticking carburetor float valve can fill the crankcase with gas and raise the oil level so high that the cylinders are flooded with oil causing it to smoke. This would also slow the engine down as the crankshaft would be slugging through all that oil.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#5 11-01-2013, 03:46 PM,
The reason I asked about the plugs was because you use the plugs as a diagnostic tool, black plugs, white plugs, brown plugs, dry, wet, sooty can all be clues as to what a problem might be
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#6 11-02-2013, 09:40 AM,
Pull the oil dip stick, what color is the oil: like oil should look when coming out of the quart? Like it needs to be changed? (dirty), looks like milk chocolate? (water in the oil)
Does it smell like gas? (gas leaking through the carbs, through the intakes, into the engine and past the rings)
Is the oil level high, low, at the proper level?

As was mentioned, reading the spark plugs can indicate the source of the problem.
A spark plug which looks like it has been steam cleaned, white smoke coming out the pipe(s), low coolant level and a high coolant temperature are all indicators of a blown head gasket.

I wouldn’t recommend dialing up the idle IF your oil smells like gas and is thinner than oil should be.
Upping the idle may cause more damage.

Observe what the engine is doing when it is running, or trying to run.
Observe the conditions of the spark plugs, oil, and coolant.
Take good notes. (I take notes so I can go over again, what I have observed, and this gives me ideas on a plan of attack and a course of action)

We are here to help!
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#7 11-05-2013, 01:11 PM,
Have you been leaving her on the side stand all the time? Sometimes if you leave her on the ss for better than a few days, oil can settle in the top of the piston but the smoke should go away after a few minutes of idling.
Angela(fysty-1) & Dani
Surrey, B.C., Canada
'85 Honda GL 1200 (fully dressed) I. (sold)
pres. 95 Virago 1100
"No matter how blue life may get always remember that there's a rainbow in the sky."
"Grab life by the handlbars an hang on."

#8 11-08-2013, 11:46 AM,
any updates?
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#9 11-11-2013, 02:39 PM,