Thread Closed 
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
What happened to the unlink brakes thread????
Strange there are no threads in experimental, where's our imagination?
smoothness counts
#1 10-13-2013, 10:06 PM,
If I owned the site I would be super nervous about threads that compromise a factory installed braking system for the sake of creativity or "hot rodding". Liability can rear it's ugly head in a heartbeat.

I am not saying that is where the thread went, I really have no idea. But I think sometimes you guys should think twice before posting like that.

Honda linked those brakes for a reason.
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#2 10-14-2013, 10:08 AM,
I would think, if you wanted to drag your knee, Randakk’s Cycle Shakk might be a place to visit.
Although he is primarily a GL1000 enthusiast, I am sure some applications could ‘cross the border’, or at least give a direction to pursue.

We observers can only speculate where the thread may have gone…….., but I, for one, don’t care to think about the why’s and what for’s.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 10-14-2013, 02:40 PM,
A yes, liability, silly me for thinking a person could express his thoughts online. Kind of reminds me of Orwell's book 1984.
Cheers guys to imaginative thinking, thinking outside the Box. Let's just bury those thoughts.
smoothness counts
#4 10-14-2013, 03:13 PM,
... if memory serves me correctly, anyone can start a site.
then they can decide what they will allow to be posted and what isn't allowed to be posted

and if other folks wanted to get something posted which may not be posted on other sites,
then another site can be started
then they can decide what they will allow to be posted and what isn't allowed to be posted

and if other folks wanted to get something posted which may not be posted on other sites,

my there are a lot of opened boxes available out there.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#5 10-14-2013, 03:22 PM,
(10-14-2013, 03:13 PM)rosok Wrote: A yes, liability, silly me for thinking a person could express his thoughts online. Kind of reminds me of Orwell's book 1984.
Cheers guys to imaginative thinking, thinking outside the Box. Let's just bury those thoughts.

Better to bury some dumb ideas than you following a brake failure. But express all you want.

Don Piggott showed some imaginative thinking, outside the box when he came up with the Poorboy alternator. I think if there was a good reason to unlink the brakes somebody would have done it in the last 27 years. Or maybe I was out riding (and stopping) when that happened?

If I may express my thoughts online, I think un-linking the brakes is a bad idea. But I certainly respect your right to your opinion. I don't even know much, let alone everything.

BTW, I read 1984 back in high school. Not sure what that has to do with stopping my bike though.

Hey, why not work on an ABS conversion system for the 1200? Now there is an idea..........
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#6 10-14-2013, 05:44 PM,
(10-14-2013, 03:13 PM)rosok Wrote: A yes, liability, silly me for thinking a person could express his thoughts online. Kind of reminds me of Orwell's book 1984.

I would never, ever in a million years repress anyone's technical ideas, I would simply redirect their ideas to the proper forum, but, when anyone here starts diminishing my ultimate concerns for the personal safety of members when riding their bikes then on this forum they are telling me that they are dangerous to the welfare of members of my site. The character that started that thread has not been banned as of yet, but, his posts are now being moderated in case he tries to play more games here. Anyone is welcome to post whatever they want after reading http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/sh....php?tid=1 I wrote that info back in 2005 and it still stands today and if you don't like what I wrote then please feel free to end your membership here.

BTW, did you know that some sick souls intentionally post threads like that to initiate flaming and cause strife in forums. Hard to believe, but, it is true. With the old forum my only choice was to ban creeps like that and I have, but, now with this new forum I can view and moderate the posts from selected individual members before they are set out for public viewing.

Let it be known that I much prefer a small forum filled with good folks with integrity rather than a large forum filled with callous and arrogant idiots. What is your choosing?
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#7 10-14-2013, 06:40 PM,
Sorry guys, I see I should have just kept my mouth shut. This has gotten way out of hand.

I'm just some shmuck that is always thinking about how he could improve his bikes. I've joined a few of these forums over the years to see what others are doing, to learn, and hopefully pass on some of my own knowledge if situation allows.

I see I'm in the minority when it comes to my thinking about separating the front and rear braking systems, and maybe that makes me wrong. And yet I still want to explore the possibilities. Trust me, I have no desire to reduce the bikes braking performance. On the contrary, I would like to improve it, if possible. When I saw the other fellows post about wanting to do the same it got my attention, with hopes of finding others that have toyed with the idea. Instead, things went downhill fast. Oops.

I'll try and think twice before posting any comments. No hard feelings hopefully guys
smoothness counts
#8 10-14-2013, 10:03 PM,
Rosok, that thread was not pulled because it was about unlinked brakes on a Gold Wing, it was pulled because the idiot that started the thread was not concerned in the least about the safety aspect of unlinking the brakes. If you want to start a thread about unlinked brakes then do so without hindrance, but, do it in the experimental section, not in the regular forum because stopping a big heavy motorcycle without linked brakes is far more difficult and unpredictable for the average rider, especially on slick roads. Explore the possibilities of unlinked brakes all you want and come up with a better braking system for these big heavy bikes and report the results here whether they are favorable or not. Issues like this would never, ever develop in forums if everyone was looking out for the welfare of others, unfortunately the selfish urge to be right sometimes seems to take precedence over being correct. When it comes to safety at this forum I do not gamble with other people's lives. All you need to do is place your topic about unlinked brakes in the Experimental forum and never, ever downplay my needs to stress safety as this forum's owner, then you will never have a problem here unless you are disrespecting me or any other member here.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#9 10-15-2013, 03:08 AM,
Thread Closed