Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
gl1200 exhaust question
Hello all,

So in the process of trying to get my starter out I had to pull down on the headers to gain the room needed to get the starter out. I could feel the whole unit move and what felt like bending. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to replace the exhaust or if I simply bend it back up and put the bolts back in the header and the muffler bracket will I be ok? I also noticed that on top of the headers it doesn't seem that there are any gaskets and I thought that there should be. Are these needed and if so what are some good options...I have a few days while I try and find some place to rebuild my starter that the bike will be on the center stand!!

Thanks
#1 10-04-2013, 08:10 PM,
There are copper crush gaskets on the headers if you look up into the exhaust you should see them, a lot of people make the mistake of putting new ones on without removing the old ones.
Item 1

You may have to replace part Item 7 also it usually disintegrate after being disrupted.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 10-05-2013, 07:21 AM,
I just rebuilt my starter a week ago. It's a very simple procedure, the kit came with everything needed. I found it on Amazon for $17.99. That being said I to pulled my header down not realizing that it cracked where the header attaches to the mufflers now I have to take the header off and have it welded.
#3 10-05-2013, 04:42 PM,
I know this may be ‘after-the-fact’, but if you just loosen (removal not required) the nuts which support the exhaust system back by the passenger pegs, after removing the 8 nuts at the headers, the headers will fall to the ground. The exhaust tips may bump into the bottom of the saddlebags so it is up to you…removing the saddlebags means not disrupting the header to muffler gasket (item 7). Or, remove the eight header nuts, don’t remove the saddlebags, the headers will fall far enough away from the heads to allow a twisting movement to remove the header from the muffler.

When I initially got my bike running and road worthy (rode worth – play on words) I found two holes in the muffler which required removal and welding. At that time, I replaced item 7 with a factory part and reused the header crush gaskets.

When the heads needed gaskets, I removed the exhaust system as a unit so as not to disturb item 7. I put the bike on the center stand to gain easy access to all the fasteners and once they were all loose, I put the bike on the side stand which made it easy to get the system out from under the bike.

According to an automotive cross-reference list published by this forum, Napa p/n 60567 is a Copper Squash Gasket recommended for the GL1200's.
Using the Buyer’s Guide, it fits 1991-1999 Nissan Sentra, 1.6L inline 4 DOHC, which at OReilly Auto parts is p/n EG24633 (Exhaust Flange Gasket)

In my neck of the woods:
Honda p/n 18291-286-306 $4.50 each – 4 required
Napa p/n 60567 $3.69 each
OReilly p/n EG24633 $2.99 each

Take an old one with you to make sure it is the correct diameter!
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#4 10-07-2013, 01:29 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust Gasket stupid question dwvassar 5 3,521 08-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Last Post: BladeRunner
  1985 GL1200 Exhaust tgsguitar 2 1,955 04-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Last Post: bs175dths
  85 GL1200 Exhaust seperation 2 1,594 03-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Guest