Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Question on Poorboy crankshaft pully mount
Morning all since my charging system has bit the dust I am going to do a alternator conversion to my 86 SE-i but have a question about the crankshaft pulley. From what I have read or seen in the pictures is the pulley is held on the crankshaft by the torque of the bolt (spacer then the pulley and a bolt one inch longer) in the end of the crankshaft no key correct? I did find the drawing where a gentleman had the key slot machined into a custom made pulley to match the crankshaft keying but was curious if all installs were like this or not? I was thinking of a set screw against the bolt after it was torqued down. I have all the equipment and parts on hand to manufacture the mounts etc. but haven't decided if I want to make them myself or order the poorboy kit. I have found a great deal of good information and pictures on the forum where some have did there own and those who have purchased the kit. Thanks in advance for your help... Smile

PS: I saw where someone used a (CHEVY MINI ALTERNATOR DENSO STREET ROD RACE 1-WIRE) from DB Electrical any good bad info on that?
vern38 AKA Squirrelly
#1 09-07-2013, 08:13 AM,
There is no need to make a key way or use a set screw, the torque on the nut is ample to prevent the pulley from turning providing any bushing used is shorter than the actual thickness of the pulley.
You will find that the pulley on the alternator doesn't have a set screw or key way either.

No personal info on the Chevy 1 wire.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 09-07-2013, 10:54 AM,
Thanks for the reply SIR tricky I'm leaning towards making the mounting hardware and have already found a 3 x 3/8 pulley with the correct bore in it already. Dang thing is halfway around the world but I found it Tongue just trying to decide which alternator to purchase. Since I'm going to make the mounting hardware I have several options at my disposal... Will document the process with pictures when I get started.
vern38 AKA Squirrelly
#3 09-07-2013, 12:06 PM,
Here is the alternator I'm looking at...

[Image: file.php?id=11074]
CHEVY MINI ALTERNATOR DENSO STREET ROD RACE 1-WIRE
vern38 AKA Squirrelly
#4 09-07-2013, 01:17 PM,
I think that is the same one I put on Stella bought it from db electrical I think, I would suggest not getting the one wire alt.
I ended up putting a relay in the hot wire to cut juice to the alt. when I turned off the key there was a few times I shut off the bike and heard a buzzing coming from the alt. so I know it was using power for something.
Personally I did machine my pulley with a key way I did not want to take a chance on the bolt unscrewing, I guess a lot of guys have had success not using a key way but I was thinking with the crank turning clockwise from the front if the pulley or spacer slips it would unscrew the bolt and a setscrew hooking them together would not stop the bolt from unscrewing it would just make sure they unscrew together.
#5 09-07-2013, 03:51 PM,
Well the parts are on order should start coming in tomorrow. Maybe if I'm lucky they will be here by the weekend... Smile
vern38 AKA Squirrelly
#6 09-09-2013, 06:00 AM,
27060-87201 http://r.ebay.com/dWL5V
Hi guys,
This is the alternator I used on my previous GL1200 Interstate.
I could put the fairing back with very slight modification but if you did not look through the vents inside fairing you could not see it.
I was very happy with it !
It comes from a Daihatsu Cuore ,
#7 09-09-2013, 09:29 AM,
I am running the Alt. from a Geo Metro and opted NOT to cut the lower, rear leg off.
I know by removing the leg it allows the alternator to slide closer to the engine, but the idea of cutting the body and losing the option of using it as an over-the-counter core was gnawing at me.
By leaving the lower leg, I was able to mount the alternator quite rigidly. The alternator doesn’t flex in any direction. If and when it fails, I can go to any parts house and use it as a core.
I was able to tuck the alternator under the fairing lower but more abs panel modification was needed than other folks installations. I just took my time (and it took a lot of time) and I nibbled at the abs until I had a nice fit.
As was mentioned, unless I point it out, people don’t see it. When they do see it, I get the same “WOW!” response.
It is to each his own, but the end result is the same……. more (s)miles down the road!

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#8 09-11-2013, 09:27 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fan Question for Poorboy kit Cessnaboy 11 4,767 02-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Cessnaboy
  Crank Bolt for added pully 7 2,693 08-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Guest