Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil leak/water pump
Hello all. Our trusty '85 I, with 106000 miles on her has developed an oil leak beneath the water pump area. The leak started just after oil/filter change.
Does a leak in this area sound familiar ?
We have had her since 46000 mi. and I have done all maint. and have not had to change the water pump.
Is this a seal in the water pump leaking ?
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of a fix. Dan.
" I would rather wake up in the middle of no where then in any city on Earth" (Steve McQueen)
There are two things money cannot buy. One is "True Love", and the other is Home Grown tomatoes!
#1 09-07-2013, 07:48 AM,
Probably be a seal but likely worn bearings on the water pump created the problem.

(Blue is water, green is oil) in the attachment

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 09-07-2013, 11:07 AM,
(09-07-2013, 11:07 AM)SIR tricky Wrote: Probably be a seal but likely worn bearings on the water pump created the problem.

(Blue is water, green is oil) in the attachment

Might also be an oil filter or shifter seal leaking. Seen that happen often. For some reason, probably braking, the oil tends to run forward. Try degreasing the engine then start watching carefully for the leak to start spreading again.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 09-07-2013, 12:27 PM,
I will degrease and wash tomorrow. I would love it to be a leaky oil filter!
Thanks, Dan.
" I would rather wake up in the middle of no where then in any city on Earth" (Steve McQueen)
There are two things money cannot buy. One is "True Love", and the other is Home Grown tomatoes!
#4 09-07-2013, 09:58 PM,
Maybe it just needs to be tightened.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#5 09-08-2013, 09:08 PM,
(09-07-2013, 09:58 PM)DanFromKansas Wrote: I will degrease and wash tomorrow. I would love it to be a leaky oil filter!
Thanks, Dan.

You may already be doing this, but I have been using this technique for 30 plus years.
When I degrease and rinse, I don’t want to have to go back and wipe things off before water spots form.
I use a canister designed to spray insecticide or liquid fertilizer.

I fill my canister with hot, hot water and pressurize with the built in hand pump.
The nozzle can change the pattern from a stream to a spray, the long wand reaches where my eyes can see but my hands can’t reach, and the hot water is less likely to leave spots as the water cools.
Cheap, reaches everywhere, multi-task tool.

Reaching the dirty areas on a motorcycle isn’t that difficult, but the stream feature of the nozzle is great for getting that caked on or deep in the webbing dirt off the bike.
The wand is a great way to reach under the fenders where the multi-shades of road dirt brown is lurking.

Just a suggestion.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#6 09-11-2013, 10:27 AM,
I like the pump sprayer idea, and I will be using that in the future. Plus as a bonus there won't be any weeds growing down there.
After I washed and de greased, I have found the leak to be at the seal between the water pump and engine case.
As this is prime riding season, the repair will be a winter maint. project.
Cheers, Dan.
#7 09-14-2013, 04:49 PM,