Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Embarrassing moments in Riding a motorcycle
Here`s your chance to share your embarassing moment, we`ve all had them. The last one that sticks in my mind happened a week ago to a friend.Four Wings riding in formation three 1200`s and one 1800. We`d been riding for a couple of hours on a very hot day,the lead bike saw some shade trees hanging over the road with a substantial paved shoulder ahhh a chance to hydrate and stretch the legs so we pulled in single file. The 1800 stops and falls over onto the crash bars,his side stand did`nt lock in place and folded as he got off. As we helped him right his bike one of the fellas says... Oh our 1200s have sidestands that lock in place, to bad they discontinued that on the newer Goldwings. We all had a good laugh. His face was as red as a summer Tomato with emabarrassment.
#1 07-17-2013, 07:36 PM,
Top tip: a bike won't roll off it's side stand if leave it in gear when you park...

I have long suffered from DI (Delayed Intelligence) so it took me 2 maybe tree times to figger out not to park a GL1200 facing downhill in a no-ride-away-forward parking spot. Rode ours over 30,000km now and I just did it again last week... horsin' the bars and scufflin' the boots to "reverse"... you would think ...

#2 07-19-2013, 01:06 AM,
Nope

None

Not me.

Angel
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#3 07-19-2013, 12:06 PM,
Ok guys (and gals), any of you ever hit the kill switch and then couldn't figure out why your bike/trike wouldn't start??
#4 07-20-2013, 12:08 PM,
I haven't but my son did it twice. The first time it wouldn't start, so I got off my bike went around to the far side of his and not sure why but just put the kill switch on and told him to try it, went right away. The second time his battery was a little low so we thought that was causing it not to start, then my wife asked us if the switch was on.... oops we both looked bad that time.
#5 07-20-2013, 12:51 PM,
Walked out of a KFC one day, and as I straddle old blue, I spy this rather attractive young lady checking me out. Well, actually she was probably checking my bike out, or maybe thinking what an idiot I was. But for the moment I was enjoying myself. Until I tried to ride off with the kickstand down, and nearly dumped the bike right there in the parking lot. I knew bikes and fried chicken don't mix..............
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#6 07-21-2013, 04:37 AM,
If you achieve a "no start" due to kill switch off and there is no one there to see it, is it still an embarrassing moment?

#7 07-21-2013, 05:07 AM,
(07-21-2013, 05:07 AM)wingandaprayer Wrote: If you achieve a "no start" due to kill switch off and there is no one there to see it, is it still an embarrassing moment?

LOL no it wasn't ..!!
#8 07-21-2013, 07:12 PM,
mine would involve leaving the kickstand down and instead of just stopping in the road,tried to pull off and when i did there was a slight downslope and bike starting pushing off the road,ended up dropping the bike in the grass instead of riding it over the bank into a grassy area that was probably "marshy",luckily a lady stopped and helped me upright bike and another biker stopped and helped me get it back onto hardground,luckily no real damage other than to my bad boz horn,

lesson learned: never pull off road to correct this if possible,should have stopped in middle of road,regardless of traffic behind me,and there wasn't, grrrrrrrr
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#9 07-22-2013, 01:18 AM,
and then why wouldn't you unload a Wing you haven't ridden for 2-1/2 months, in a sandy camp site in southern California in January, and attempt to ride it up there by the camper in a full lock to the left turn, with the enrichener on, because you are too impatient to let it warm up, and fumble your clutching and dump it over on it's left side - hardly qualifies for an E.M. because I hit the kill switch, then in my best Instructor Manner went in to a quick step by step guide of " how to pick up a GL1200 after doing the little known 60 degree exhaust and swingarm inspection." Two people walking by actually stopped to take in the segment.

#10 07-22-2013, 05:27 AM,
Just starting a 10 day tour out of Victoria BC Packed to the max and with my wife as co-pilot on the back.Boarded the Blackball Ferry for Port Angeles Wash. The Steel deck was wet right where the deck hand motioned me to park,left foot slipped on the the wet deck..Nuts.. down we went broke off the left mirror,nice start to a vacation now I can't see my left side in traffic..ahhh.. Red Green duck tape in the luggage. It sort of worked but kept fiddling with it to where I could see something behind.Phoned ahead to a Honda dealership in Southern Oregon and a mirror was waiting by the time we got there 2 days later.

Same trip Highway construction in Oregon, stopping in a long line of traffic for 1/2 hour on a steep uphill grade that sloped to the left. I learned I'll never stop in places I can't right a fully loaded Goldwing off the sidestand again, something to remember,you might not think of that unless it happened to you.We needed help to get it up with my wife on the back.Next time I'll slowly keep riding past the line of vehicles until I see a flat spot and if the road crew says anything contrary...well he'd be sure to get an earfull about stopping a fully loaded Goldwing with a passenger on an bad angle up hill.

Live and learn as they say.Big Grin
#11 07-22-2013, 11:20 AM,
I was on a long day trip, and really pushed my endurance without taking a break. I broke every rule in the book, by riding when tired. stupid thing to do and no excuse, I do know better.

Pulled into a viewing area, where folks where taking photos of a waterfall, by this time my brain was mush, not thinking straight, I executed what I thought was a perfect u-turn, straightened, as she pulled up, put my left foot out into a hole I hadn't seen, and over we went.

I ended up rolling around on a grass verge, and bike just laid down on the bars with no damage thank goodness.

a couple of people laughed, and left when they saw I was not impressed with them, and another rider gave me a hand to lift her up

lesson learnt the hard way, very embarrassing.
Robbie
1986 GL1200 Aspencade (mariah)
#12 10-05-2013, 02:57 PM,
(07-20-2013, 12:08 PM)maestro319 Wrote: Ok guys (and gals), any of you ever hit the kill switch and then couldn't figure out why your bike/trike wouldn't start??

No never, not me,I'm a highly trained professional... Nope I've never hit the kill switch when the light turned green with a bumper of a Kenworth Semi truck at my backside, that was...I mean I think that would be scary. Rolleyes
#13 10-05-2013, 11:42 PM,