Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ignition Switch
Went out to start my bike and found I have power when the ignition switch is in the accessory position, but no power when in the start/run position. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#1 06-16-2013, 01:56 PM,
i'd start with checking power ay the ignition switch connector
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 06-16-2013, 03:38 PM,
Dirty connections inside the switch. Spray some electronics cleaner down the key hole, insert key and turn it off and on a few dozen times to clean the contacts
1986 SEi Limited Edition. 1985 Aspencade
If it's not broke, I can fix that!
#3 06-16-2013, 05:43 PM,
(06-16-2013, 05:43 PM)Frank Wrote: Dirty connections inside the switch. Spray some electronics cleaner down the key hole, insert key and turn it off and on a few dozen times to clean the contacts

Frank I'm pretty sure that won't get the contacts clean the key switch assembly and the electrical switch are 2 seperate units that screw together I had to remove my switch disasemble to clean the contacts. But I could be wrong
#4 06-17-2013, 01:07 PM,
I think the two parts theme is correct.

I haven't had to clean or take mine apart, but didn't Honda have a problem with the connector coming loose? I believe the fix was similar to what Harley-Davidson did to solve the problem of their stator getting unplugged........ Honda and Harley-Davidson added a bracket so the two parts would not vibrate apart.
So, to clean the contacts, remove the switch/contact assembly and seperate them.

Good Luck.

-Riding on after replacing two front rotors, brake pads and tire.
I always had go, now I have stop and lean - Yippie Yo Ki Ya!
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#5 06-17-2013, 01:54 PM,
Enough of the cleaner will run down in there to clean the contacts and it's more the action of the pins sliding across each other that does the cleaning, hey if it doesn't work all he would be out is maybe 5 minutes of time??
#6 06-17-2013, 02:08 PM,
Frankly speaking, Frank has a point. Smile
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#7 06-17-2013, 02:11 PM,
(06-17-2013, 02:08 PM)Frank Wrote: Enough of the cleaner will run down in there to clean the contacts and it's more the action of the pins sliding across each other that does the cleaning, hey if it doesn't work all he would be out is maybe 5 minutes of time??

This post brings up a question, What brand name of electronic spray cleaner is the best? There is one brand that does'nt harm the plastic connectors but does a good job on the pins and connection points but don't know its name. Anyone who knowswhat the 85 LTD electronics looks like will also know why I ask. All those plugs need cleaning now and then. The Digital Speedo readout can act up for one thing because of dirty contacts in a plug. Unplugging the plugs in the Faux tank compartment and replugging sometimes works but thats usually an indication of dirty contacts.
#8 06-17-2013, 03:17 PM,
If you look at the actual contact area of a connector it's not much so it's not really a matter of them getting dirty as getting loose. You can clean them all day long but unless you take the time to tighten them your work will be for not. some of the best contact cleaner I have found is sold by Radio Shack called DeoxIT.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index....Id=2104746
#9 06-17-2013, 05:31 PM,
(06-17-2013, 05:31 PM)Frank Wrote: If you look at the actual contact area of a connector it's not much so it's not really a matter of them getting dirty as getting loose. You can clean them all day long but unless you take the time to tighten them your work will be for not. some of the best contact cleaner I have found is sold by Radio Shack called DeoxIT.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index....Id=2104746

I use the Radio Shack cleaner on my Pinball machine. It works great!
#10 06-17-2013, 09:15 PM,
OK, after several days of trying to locate the problem, I finally gave up and took Freedom into the shop. Appears the problem isn't in Freedom, but more in my battery charger... Freedom was suffering from a simple dead battery and my charger isn't charging any more....

Whew, only $20 to the shop for the diagnosis and recharge
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter

#11 06-21-2013, 10:21 AM,
Battery tender Junior... hooked all the time on mine.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#12 06-21-2013, 02:02 PM,