Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Brake squeal
What stops brake pad squeal and squeekage at the end of low speed stops, like intersections when trundling along in town?

#1 05-28-2013, 05:12 AM,
its usually because a piece of dirt or metal has been embedded itself into the diskpad,impossible to see but you could take the pads off and lightly scuff the pads with some sandpaper
keeping the disc rotor clean by wiping it down occasionally helps and you can paint the rear of pad with some "antisqueal",normally sold to car shops,squeal is actually a high frequency vibration
in cars it normally occurs when shop cut the rotors but fail to wash clean the rotors prior to reassembly,in fact manufacturer reps actually recommend that shops wash new rotors with soap and water and air dry,few do
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 05-28-2013, 06:19 AM,
(05-28-2013, 06:19 AM)neoracer Wrote: its usually because a piece of dirt or metal has been embedded itself into the diskpad,impossible to see but you could take the pads off and lightly scuff the pads with some sandpaper
keeping the disc rotor clean by wiping it down occasionally helps and you can paint the rear of pad with some "antisqueal",normally sold to car shops,squeal is actually a high frequency vibration
in cars it normally occurs when shop cut the rotors but fail to wash clean the rotors prior to reassembly,in fact manufacturer reps actually recommend that shops wash new rotors with soap and water and air dry,few do
Some times it may take a few hundred miles for the pads to bed in good and quit squealing. Riding it like you stole it can take care this problem.
joe
#3 05-28-2013, 06:17 PM,
Brake squeal can come from a number of sources.
Poor quality pad material can cause a glaze to be created when overheated. Some of this coating can be transferred to the disc, and when the brakes are applied, it is glaze against glaze. Cleaning the pads and the disc is a temporary fix, until the glaze is re-created. A quality pad material eliminates the problem.
Pads can vibrate when the brakes are applied, thus causing a squeal. The squeal can be eliminated by applying some lubricant made specifically for brakes. Used sparingly is the rule of thumb.

With a cars rotors, if the rotors are new, they need to be cleaned, as mentioned. If the rotors are turn-able, they need to be wiped down after turning. The back of the pads where they make contact with the piston or caliper body, gets a coating of the aforementioned brake lubricant as do the pin slides and where the pads rest on the caliper. Prior to adding the lubricant, the caliper and slides get cleaned of road grim and brake dust.

A similar approach can be taken with a motorcycle, although the way the pads are held in place is slightly different than that of a car. But the same idea of lubricant use can be applied to eliminate the squeak.

Good Luck.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#4 05-28-2013, 09:54 PM,
I put new brakes on and I had the same problem. I did everything but couldn't get it to stop. After about 1000 miles it stopped. I do a lot of highway riding so maybe less for you. I think they just had to seat
1987 Interstate
#5 05-29-2013, 02:42 PM,
Few know that disc brakes have a middle name, it is......

Disc "Squeal" Brakes.......

the women in my house "squeal" by nature and so do disc brakes, if you get my drift....

turn the dang radio up and keep going........

:-)
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#6 05-31-2013, 10:53 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear brake squeal Dukes Senior 2 1,490 06-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Last Post: admin