Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Polishing up Aluminum with pealed lacquer
I haven't seen this here so will post my run through as my bike is apart and needs to look better.

Older bikes have an issue that plagues most and is a pain where the lacquer coating on the aluminum parts starts to peal or get worn away. Yes it sucks and takes a bit of elbow grease but you can be shiny again with a bit of work.

It is best if you can remove the part as it is so much easier to work with, but not necessary if you want to just look good, but honestly removing the part is really best. For this I am doing an alternator conversion and had to remove the timing belt covers and then say the real problem with cleaning them up, pealed lacquer.

.jpg   IMG_0136.jpg (Size: 33.98 KB / Downloads: 23)

I will say you need a few things to do this job, but the results are worth the money!

Nothing here is rocket science and your results will be exactly how much work you put into it. I will mirror my covers. an example is from a barn find 1987 honda rebel which I have sold, but is a good example of what can be done.

.jpg   2011-07-08_19-17-16_542.jpg (Size: 247.22 KB / Downloads: 45)

And after on bike polishing.

.jpg   2011-07-10_15-32-55_78 (1).jpg (Size: 249.56 KB / Downloads: 41)

Note: Here is you do remove the protective coating, but at the point as the example photos whats the point, so it takes more maintenance to maintain but is ready for a quick run over with some Mothers to look good as long as you keep it up. Looks better then stuff you clean and looks spotty due to the damaged lacquer.

*** Clean all the grit off the surface before busting out sand paper!***

*****Parts that are covers are usually cast aluminum, don't use power tool sanders and always always use long strokes except in tight areas****

I take the 120 grit and just break the surface over all of the part. This includes the nooks and crannies. The areas that still have lacquer on them hit a bit more. The reason for this is the lacquer will gum up paper in the dry sand process as it removes. It is the nature of what it does.

Don't worry you will be back at this process again to break the stubborn lacquer again I will show pics tomorrow showing what I mean.
1984 GL1200 Interstate
#1 04-11-2013, 05:09 PM,

Messages In This Thread
Polishing up Aluminum with pealed lacquer - by mancrypt - 04-11-2013, 05:09 PM