Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
REMOVING TROUBLESOME FINAL DRIVE FILLER CAP
I decided as part of my winter maintenance to replace the final drive oil which hasn't been done since I bought my bike two years ago.

Problem: The final drive filler cap which used to be a 17 mm hexagon is now a 16 mm pentagon. Someone who didn't know that 17 mm hex sockets and wrenches exist chewed off one of the points while nearly rounding the others. I've ordered a replacement from CheapCycleParts.com (about $8 plus $3 for the O-ring). I've tried the obvious (forcing a 17 mm wrench, and then power grip wrench -- while trying to avoid further damaging the filler cap. It didn't budge.

Surely someone else has had this or a similar problem. So what is the "easy" way of getting a chewed up filler cap out and not destroying either what's on inside or the outside of the final drive compartment.

I had thought of drilling through the cap and then using a bolt extractor for removing it. But I worried about metal shavings getting into the final drive housing and damaging the gears, etc.

What to do? Confusedhock: :-SS B-(
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#1 02-04-2011, 10:05 PM,

Messages In This Thread
REMOVING TROUBLESOME FINAL DRIVE FILLER CAP - by Granpah - 02-04-2011, 10:05 PM