Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting total front end rebuild
I have finally got enough things done around my home that I can now start working on my bike.Smile

I lifted it straight up using a ceiling mounted electric hoist, and now it is safely sitting on a pair of steel sawhorses, that could hold 1000 lbs each. Plus it is still connected to the hoist. Much safer than a motorcycle table IMHO.

I want to start with a total rebuild of the entire front end, from the main head bearings to the tubes, seals Trac valves, brake pads, calipers, master cylinder, rotors, etc, then restore the wheel (paint & polish) and install my new tire. Then I will turn it around and do the rear end.

I have some parts like fork seals and brake pads but not all that I will need.
When I bought my brake pads quite a long time ago, I got talked into buying EBC Double-H #FA69/HH pads.
I have since read on this forum, that I should not be using sintered pads, which I believe these are.
Should I sell these and get the EBC-GG type pads?
I do not ride my LTD like a superbike or race bike, it was just the sales person trying to tell me that the GG pads couldn't stop a 900 lb bike with maybe 400 lbs of riders and gear onboard.
My current front brakes still seem to be very strong, even though both are covered in oil from the front tubes, I can't imagine what good clean brakes are going to be.

If you have part numbers of things I will need I would really appreciate them.
If you have advice on how to do all of this work, I would appreciate that also.
If you live around Lacey WA, and have time to help, I would appreciate that also.Rolleyes
Dave R
Patriot Guard Rider
Previous bikes[/size]
CT 90--- 1960 125 Benly (Honda)--- Insane minibike with 125 Honda motor--- 1982 CB 650
current bikes
1987 CN 250 Helix--- 1985 GL1200 LTD
#1 06-05-2016, 09:16 AM,

Messages In This Thread
Starting total front end rebuild - by Dave-85-LTD - 06-05-2016, 09:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front Brake Caliper leaking after 3 attempts to rebuild Dad3Sons 1 1,066 03-16-2022, 12:24 PM
Last Post: jkrijt
  total brake frustration motojo 9 2,910 06-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Last Post: motojo