Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
Sheared lower radiator mounting stud
In starting into a variety of maintenance and check items (timing belts, t-stat, and a sensor check / repair), I sheared off one of the lower mounting studs for the radiator. In looking at the parts fiche, the FRAME diagram shows no studs and it appears that there are simply a couple of "nuts" welded to the frame to hold these blind studs in place.

What I need to understand is whether this is, in fact, a blind stud that can be removed and replaced. I tried to clamp it with a set of Vice Grips, but it seems to have absolutely NO movement to it at all. I hit it with the torch last night, then sprayed it for a second time with PB B'laster to soak overnight. I will be trying it again this morning, but I'm concerned that it is not intended to be a replaceable item.

This does need to be repaired because that stud is also the mounting point for the lower fairing bracket and the horn on that side. I could go the route of a helicoil, but want to avoid that unless it's a necessity.
#1 06-20-2014, 05:44 AM,

Messages In This Thread
Sheared lower radiator mounting stud - by ember1205 - 06-20-2014, 05:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  length of footpeg mounting stud on left side JerryH 5 1,436 06-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Last Post: JerryH