Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Starter Died
Last year I had a slow cranking starter, so I pulled it and did a rebuild on it with a kit off EBay. After the rebuild the starter worked like new, until last week, now it's given up the ghost. I've pulled it again, and tested everything I can think of, but can't seem to find the problem. I've started looking at buying a new starter and found these on EBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER-85-8...ed&vxp=mtr. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these starter and if they are any good?
The light at the end of the tunnel is usually the headlamp of the oncoming train.

[Image: Bike003.jpg]
#1 02-22-2013, 08:46 PM,
see that a lot with the offshore starters, I have my OEM ones rebuilt not sure if its better but I've never had an issue.
#2 02-23-2013, 07:30 AM,
Send it to Rick's motorsports, it will be better than new.
Paul
Hillsboro, Oregon
#3 02-23-2013, 05:07 PM,
It's not an offshore starter I have, it's the original. I was wondering about the DB Electrical starters on EBay to replace it. There is a local shop here that rebuilds alternators and starters, I think I'll go see them Monday and see what they can do.
The light at the end of the tunnel is usually the headlamp of the oncoming train.

#4 02-23-2013, 08:25 PM,
(02-23-2013, 08:25 PM)90Blazer Wrote: It's not an offshore starter I have, it's the original. I was wondering about the DB Electrical starters on EBay to replace it. There is a local shop here that rebuilds alternators and starters, I think I'll go see them Monday and see what they can do.

Yes i see I misread it - was an offshore rebuild kit .?
I agree with Paradise find a good starter repair shop good luck hope it works out for ya
#5 02-23-2013, 09:26 PM,
Well got the starter back from the repair shop, they can't fix it, the armature is shorted. Confused Looks like the best bet is to just replace it.

#6 02-27-2013, 10:20 AM,
sounds like what mine is doing. I rebuild it put it back in the bike an nothing. Took it out tore it down again thinking I put something toghter wrong. After finding the way to test the amature I believe the armature is shorted. Does anyone know where to get a new armature.My bike is a 84
#7 02-28-2013, 06:20 PM,
if it worked somewhat before the rebuild,you might want to swap the brushes around,make sure you test before you actually replace in mc
dont ask how i know
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#8 03-01-2013, 02:24 AM,
Mine didn't die when I rebuilt it, it lasted another year, so Neoracer may be correct, double check your rebuild. I've been looking for replacement armatures, the local electric motor shop said that they could send it out and have the whole thing rewound, but it would cost around $250 and take several weeks. Not many people like to rebuild 12v motors anymore, it's cheaper to buy new.

#9 03-01-2013, 05:40 AM,
thanks for the input. I have checked the brushes I believe they are in right. For the price of rewinding you can get a new starter.. I heard that old goldwings have a problem with shorting out the armature when there is a low battery..
#10 03-02-2013, 03:46 PM,