Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Can someone identify the noise?
Hello, As with many others I too have the popping and backfiring. While riding around the yard, (about 1500-2200 rpm in 1st) I get really bad backfires which almost sounds like a firecracker going off in my muffler. Along with the backfiring I have a bad cough, I guess is how you would describe it. The carbs have not been rebuilt that I know of but I plan to as soon as finances permit. To keep the old girl running when cold I have to keep full choke on, the coughing is really bad here. When warm I still have to run about half choke or a cough with kill the engine. Any ideas?

I also made a video so you all can hear whats going on. I apologize for the bad camera work, as I was more focused on the sounds plus my bad knees don't help :lol:

the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO2pr_FlIg8&hd=1
#1 04-16-2012, 06:09 PM,
I am thinking that the carbs. are way out of sync or one or more of them are blocked/gummed up on the slow speed circuit. I think you are getting a cylinder coughing for gas and going from powered to being pulled by the others?
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#2 04-16-2012, 06:26 PM,
I watched the video. It's only running on 3 cylinders. Have you pulled the plugs yet to see what's going on inside the engine? Tried fresh plugs? If verified by the plugs, the idle and pilot cicuits are plugged on the carbs. Possible float stuck closed also. They have to come out for a complete overhaul.
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#3 04-17-2012, 02:22 AM,
Are the wires on the correct spark plugs? Sure sounds like one or two plugs are misfiring. I have seen poor carb synching cause this as well, but, pulling the revs up higher clears it all out and then it runs smooth. I would synch the carbs, replace the spark plugs, do the full spark plug wire/resistor/coil test and perform a compression test to check the valves to see if the timing belts are in wrong, if the problem is still present you may have water in your gas so drain the float bowls and tank, install fresh gasoline and try again. If it's still there after all that I suggest getting an experienced Gold Wing technician involved, but, I really think that it's just the spark plugs but usually they clean up after the engine gets hot.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#4 04-17-2012, 07:36 AM,
Ok guys, I took your advise and started checking wires and compression. It turns out the left side wire where backwards, don't know how that happened as I always put them back the same way they came off. Guess this young buck is over thinking the issues again. The old girl still had some coughs even when warm so maybe a sync will fix her up. She did not backfire one time while puttering around the yard so hopefully its not as bad as I thought. The coughs still occur around 1500-2000 rpm range, so you guys think a sync will do it?
#5 04-17-2012, 03:36 PM,
Yes, unless the carbs. also need cleaning.

#6 04-17-2012, 05:00 PM,
WV_Winger Wrote:Ok guys, I took your advise and started checking wires and compression. It turns out the left side wire where backwards, don't know how that happened as I always put them back the same way they came off. Guess this young buck is over thinking the issues again. The old girl still had some coughs even when warm so maybe a sync will fix her up. She did not backfire one time while puttering around the yard so hopefully its not as bad as I thought. The coughs still occur around 1500-2000 rpm range, so you guys think a sync will do it?

I'm happy for you. A synch anytime is good. Some 1200's need washers under the carb needles to richen things up a little to stop the low speed acceleration cough, but, first drive the bike at least enough to drain the tank and then put some fresh gas in it and do some driving to see how it runs, then make a decision about fixing anything else. Do we get another video of how it runs now so we can complete the before and after picture? :lol:

#7 04-17-2012, 05:45 PM,
Thanks For all the help Folks, and as per request I have a follow up video.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N90zlXGtxMs&hd=1

Again Thanks!!
#8 04-18-2012, 06:21 PM,
Well done, sounds so :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: much better.

#9 04-18-2012, 06:23 PM,
I have new header gaskets coming, as they have never been there since I've owned the ol girl. Hopefully that will help with some of the noise. Another quick question, the loud ticking is that a normal 1200 noise? The noise is loudest in the left side so I don't think its the fuel pump as its on the right..any ideas?
#10 04-18-2012, 06:29 PM,
Could be exhaust leak, spark leak from the plug wire or perhaps valvetrain noise.

#11 04-18-2012, 06:31 PM,
No header gaskets?

Well there you go, an exhaust leak at the headers will also cause backfires and a burning of the valves.

#12 04-19-2012, 05:54 AM,
Yea, they have been missing, the PO neglected the ol girl pretty bad. When I found her she was parked next to a turkey house, a commercial house that is, so no small coup. And she has not been rode much with me moving around and a deployment. I am settled down now so finally have time to get her up to par. My order shipped out yesterday so hopefully they will be here by this weekend.
#13 04-19-2012, 06:39 AM,