Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Gas Smell
I know, it's been beaten to death around here :lol:

OK, as some know I transitioned my 85 Aspencade to an 84 Interstate sort of... :roll:

I have now a problem that I can't seem to remedy myself. I have changed the air filter, changed the fuel filter and replaced the fuel lines from the gas tank to the filter and from the filter to the fuel pump. I STILL have a bad gasoline smell when I come back from a ride. There is no obvious evidence of a leak anywhere I can see, no puddle of gas on the floor,etc. The other day I had a terrible time while RIDING and could smell the gas. At every stop the people we were with could also smell how strong it was whenever they got near my bike. My wife says she could smell it but didn't think it was as strong as I was getting in the drivers spot.

I have read as many posts as I can and even talked to Neoracer on the phone but still the problem persists. I have been in contact with Venco Wings and Pete commented that it might just be some dirt getting caught up during the winter layover in the float bowls and it may need a few miles to get sorted out?

I put a question mark for that as I know very little about carburetors and how they work. On our bike, if the float bowl is filling up and doesn't drain right, where does that fuel go? I heard one guy say on his old kawasaki there was an overflow tube and it would drain on the ground. I don't know if I have one of those or not and don't know where to look for one if I had one? :-\

I have run over 500 miles so far and used some Chevron Techron thru a couple of tanks and tried a few ounces of Seafoam on the last tankful to no avail. Is cleaning the float bowls something that can be removed and done without taking the whole carb assembly off? If so please point me in the right direction. If not, I may as well get the carbs rebuilt and replace all the other hoses while they are in there.

I will say this. My throttle response is excellent and the bike runs like the proverbial stripped a#$ ape. If it wasn't for the stink, I'd leave it alone :d

Thanks for listening to my tale of woe...

Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH
Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH

"If it's too big to eat in one sitting you probably shouldn't run over it"

85/84 "AspenState" Senior-Gray metallic (Sold but not forgotten)
2001 GL1800 Apollo Blue
#1 03-21-2012, 03:24 PM,
Exhaust tail pipes black and sooty? Pull the spark plugs to see if any are black and sooty. This will confirm if the engine is overfueling and a internal carb problem exists(sticky float).

Also have a look at the gas cap. The vent valve could be stuck.

Looked at the fuel petcock valve yet? Could be seeping.
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#2 03-22-2012, 02:22 AM,
Your friend was right that the old kaws have that overflow tube, but the wings don't. If you have a stuck float the gas will drain into the cylinders and then you run the risk of hydro-lock from sitting overnight. I suggest shutting the fuel off when parked until you find out what's happening. I agree with burnout, pull your plugs and post the condition/color of them. If you are going to pull the carbs you might as well rebuild them while they're out. Then do a carb sync.
Also, when you smell the gas pop the false tank cover and see if it smells strongest there. Like burnout said, cap vent area.
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic
#3 03-22-2012, 04:04 AM,
Ok, update,not much... :|

Went out for another round today and ran about 180 miles with another few ounces of Seafoam. I got 43 mpg on this tank. Usually when I'm solo I can squeeze out 47 to 48 mpg. I didn't have as much stink while riding, but, after getting it in the garage it smelled to high heavens in about 5 minutes. I backed it out and went over to Venco Wings. The carbs will be pulled and rebuilt next week. Like I said before, this bike has never had the throttle response it has had since coming out of winter hibernation. It seems like I just touch the throttle and the response is instant. It seems to me it feels like it's dumping fuel straight into the carbs. My wife rides a 96 Kawasaki ZL600 Eliminator and it does the same thing if the fuel petcock is on Prime.

We checked and there was no gasoline smell to the oil (just changed that and filter last week). I have no idea when the carbs were gone through last. When I bought the bike it was running reasonably well, the carbs were synched and I put a little over 15K + since then with no issues. It does have the brass looking carb covers so I assume sometime in the past something was done to them, if only just for bling... :-

I am hoping that this will be the solution (albeit an expensive one) :YMPRAY: .

I feel fortunate to have a resource like Venco Wings in my backyard. I do not have the skill set to tackle something like the carbs rebuild and I know it. Best not to even go there. I do just love the way this 1200 handles now that I've got the suspension all squared away. For now I'll ride it this way until they are ready for me to drop it off. Oh, and I'll keep the garage door open for awhile after parking to let the smell dissipate some... :YMPEACE:

Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH
Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH

2001 GL1800 Apollo Blue
#4 03-22-2012, 04:55 PM,
OK, finally an update with some good news.

Got the bike back today after a little drama on Saturday. Carbs rebuilt, all new fuel lines, all new vacuum hoses...

I had decided to put on the chrome carb caps as I had seen them on a naked Wing Pete had done recently. I did not read the posts here regarding these beforehand. Pete told me he had the carbs off three times having trouble with what he thought was a vacuum issue. He double and triple checked all the lines. As he was moving the carbs the last time he had them at an angle where he saw the screws that hold the caps on were not seating them all the way. He shortened up the screws and tightened them down and Voila! Success! \:d/

Everything works good. Still runs like the proverbial "raped ape!" No gas smell while riding nor after pulling it into the garage.

I am a happy camper again. :d

Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH
Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH

2001 GL1800 Apollo Blue
#5 04-10-2012, 04:51 PM,
glad to hear the fumes have been eliminated,was venco able to determine what the actual cause was?
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#6 04-11-2012, 04:58 AM,
There was no "smoking gun". However, I think it may have been fuel line related somewhat as the one to the left carb bank looked pretty deteriorated upon inspection later. You couldn't see anything while they were on the bike.

Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH
Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH

2001 GL1800 Apollo Blue
#7 04-11-2012, 05:57 AM,