Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1985 mufflers
This may seem a bit anal but is the right muffler connector opening a bit set back than the left? I would think they would be the exact same length coming from the base of the muffler, but mine and a picture of one I saw on eBay seem to point to that the pipe connector where the band seal goes into is a bit shorter on the left side, compared to the length on the right? Agree?
I was gonna have mine extended a bit but I think it's made that way? My header pipe does go in deep.
#1 01-16-2012, 12:11 PM,
I have an 1984 Interstate and mine appear to be of the same length.
(I thought I would respond since all questions deserve an answer)

-Ride On.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#2 01-16-2012, 01:35 PM,
bs175dths Wrote:I have an 1984 Interstate and mine appear to be of the same length.
(I thought I would respond since all questions deserve an answer)

-Ride On.
Thanks. I knew this would be hard to understand. I'll post a picture of my problem and what looks to be the exact same issue on one on eBay later. Can't post pics from my iPhone.
#3 01-16-2012, 01:40 PM,
I've got a rusty set I will get welded as spares, I just stood them up and put a level on, even though they're a bit battered the left side looks a few mm shorter than the right.
Cheers...Charlie
The lady walking ahead of me sped up so I did too, she began running so I ran too, she screamed so I screamed as well. I never even saw what we were running from.
#4 01-16-2012, 02:36 PM,
Here's the one I was gonna buy on eBay. Great price, but look at the right side connector via the pic.
Mine which is the rusty one looks the same. But you can see my broken header piece goes way inside so it should seal once cleaned up.

Attached Files
.jpg   $(KGrHqNHJ!0E63RuBb3yBO27W7boqQ~~60_3pipe.jpg (Size: 62.63 KB / Downloads: 542)
.jpg   photo 1.JPG (Size: 50.85 KB / Downloads: 541)
.jpg   photo 2.JPG (Size: 74.96 KB / Downloads: 540)
#5 01-16-2012, 02:42 PM,
I've got a rusty .....oops :oops:
Cheers...Charlie
The lady walking ahead of me sped up so I did too, she began running so I ran too, she screamed so I screamed as well. I never even saw what we were running from.
#6 01-16-2012, 02:46 PM,
Now I think I understand what you were trying to describe and this may throw a wrench in the works; the left cylinders (and thus the left head) sits closer to the rear of the bike than the right cylinders and head.
The bottom line is, you may be right in that the left and right side of the muffler inlets are not of the same length.
In the end, however, all GL1200 muffler assemblies should interchange.
(don't cha just love the subtleties??)

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#7 01-16-2012, 03:50 PM,
bs175dths is correct, the muffler is identical but the right header pipe must be longer since the cylinders/heads on the engine are staggered.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#8 01-16-2012, 04:26 PM,
unionjack Wrote:bs175dths is correct, the muffler is identical but the right header pipe must be longer since the cylinders/heads on the engine are staggered.
Aahh. Could be. Thanks.
#9 01-16-2012, 04:35 PM,
Well I think the band clamp will just cover the weak spot. Looks like it should work. Job well done. Best I could anyway.

Attached Files
.jpg   photo 1.JPG (Size: 47.57 KB / Downloads: 530)
.jpg   photo 2.JPG (Size: 74.11 KB / Downloads: 528)
#10 01-16-2012, 05:04 PM,
I don't know if you are done already,but one thing I noticed on mine..the band clamps are pretty thin, (rusty) when I tried to tighten mine..BOTH broke!! Honda wanted the usual fist child for new ones....I found a pair of "heavy duty" nicely chromed clamps at a bike shop..$7 each!! Worked awesome.... :d
#11 01-19-2012, 01:11 PM,