Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Air injection system
I just realized that my 1200LTD has one of those air injection systems, designed to pump air into the exhaust ports. In other words, an emissions control device, which has nothing to do with the way the engine runs. I have successfully removed them from other bikes, but this one is a bit more complicated. It appears to be controlled by a reed valve, which I believe is where my squeaking noise is coming from. Can anyone give me any advice on how to remove/disable/plug this system? Also can anyone tell me what the parts I have circled in this diagram do. I believe the parts at the bottom are the air injection system, but I would also like to know what the air valve does. Jerry. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tinyurl.com/3npsqlr">http://tinyurl.com/3npsqlr</a><!-- m -->
#1 07-20-2011, 10:55 PM,
I am aware this is an old post and your questions may already have been answered. BTW – the link does not open, but that is no biggie.
There are basically two carburetor setups, California and 49-state, the big difference being the purge control valve added to the California flavor.
All the rest of the carburetors are the same.
The two valves on the underside of the carburetors are the slow air cut off valve and the anti-after burn valve, this one is mounted on the underside of where the reeds are placed.
These two valves are not necessarily emissions as they are more performance. Without them, back firing can occur when the throttle is closed quickly at high speeds such as on the interstate/freeways.
The o-rings at the secondary air supply tubes and the condition of the vacuum and air hoses play critical roles in the performance of our machines.
When refurbishing my carburetor set (bike sat for 2+ years) I replaced all hoses and o-rings. I tossed the little hose clamps and used safety wire as my hose clamps. It took a bit more time than reusing the old clamps and it was cheaper than tracking down new clamps, but to me, it sure looks impressive, AND I haven’t had a lick of trouble out of them since.
Back firing can occur from others sources as well as a defective anti-after burn valve. An exhaust leak, leaking intake or secondary air supply tube o-rings as well as unsynchronized carburetors can cause back firing.

I hope this answers this question and causes you to ask more.

-Ride On ~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#2 11-22-2011, 11:11 AM,
You must be very careful about disabling emission controls especially in the U.S. as fines can be quite outrageous for doing so, therefore, I would suggest that you get the system working correctly as Honda intended it to do and just drive the bike with stock equipment because it does not really affect performance, just out the tailpipe emissions. For testing puposes I have cut the chrome pipe at the fitting where it goes into the cylinder head, plugged the pipe with a screw, theaded rod or steel plug and then soldered it fully closed and then removed all vacuum hoses and the bike ran great for the test, but, I still recommend getting the stock system in shape for your own peace of mind and protection.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 11-22-2011, 05:08 PM,
[quote="bs175dths"]There are basically two carburetor setups, California and 49-state, the big difference being the purge control valve added to the California flavor.
All the rest of the carburetors are the same.

I think you missed that he has an LTD which has CFI, not a carb.
I don't need a map, my wife is always telling me where to go.
#4 02-08-2012, 12:27 AM,
Doesn't matter. The LTD and SEI's have the same P.A.I.R systems as the carb models.

Here in Upstate New York, motorcycles are not subjected to an emissions "sniff" test for state inspection, but the components need to be there(weather they work or not). The original poster is from California. Don't know if they, or any other state are subjected to emission testing? Does California or any other state perform a COMPLETE emission test on motorcycles?
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#5 02-08-2012, 03:10 PM,
As far as I know California (unless things have changed recently) has the most stringent and heavily enforced air pollution laws in the U.S. and to the best of my knowledge all pollution control devices must be in place and operational. Routine and random emissions testing is performed on a reglar basis and the fines for polluting are heavy so don't mess with California air quality if you know what's good for you. California is the only state in the U.S. that can set its own pollution standards and does not have to follow federal emission standards, that's how serious they are about vehicle pollution and emissions. It is still explicitly illegal to modify a motorcycle in a way that makes it become non-compliant with EPA emissions requirements, and it has been since 1980. It's right there in the Clean Air Act itself; if you want to read it with your own eyes check out section 203(a). The gist is it is illegal to tamper with the motorcycle in any way that makes it non-compliant with emissions standards.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#6 02-08-2012, 04:37 PM,
Oh. I don't know what all of that meant. What is P.A.I.R.? I do know that Ca has stricter emissions control than any other state. It even includes lawnmowers. Will county, in Il., does some emission testing. It might be on cars over 3 years old and tested every 3 years, or something like that. It's been a while since I lived there.
I don't need a map, my wife is always telling me where to go.
#7 02-09-2012, 10:14 PM,
The Honda P.A.I.R system has been around for many years to inject air into the exhaust system to reduce tail pipe emissions. Honda has two definitions pending on the automotive or powersports market: "pulse air injection regulator" or "pulse secondary air injection".

Many folks remove this system when it fails. Some fix it. Many remove it because they think it will give them a performance increase(false). Many remove it to "clean up" the engine bay from the cluttered plumbing appearance, or ease of other engine bay maintenance.

It has turned out to be sort of a controversial topic on MANY forums. Use your own judgment accordingly..... :d
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#8 02-10-2012, 03:44 AM,
Why do you want to remove the system? Is it faulty? Removing it may have a detrimental effect on performance.
As far as California emissions and motorcycles, to my knowledge, the California Air Research Board (CARB) has strict emission rules for all internal combustion devices. Only automobiles and trucks (1976 and newer) are tested on a bi-annual basis as part of the vehicle re-registration process. Garden equipment and motorcycles (scooters) are not required to be tested.

Do EFI GL's have the anti-afterburn valve and the slow air cut-off valve?
I have only seen a California-Only and 49-State pictures of the intake hose diagrams. Is there another diagram for EFI?
I thought the two fuel metering systems were either carbureted or throttle bodied/intake injection and the afterburn and air cut-off were common.

^Smile^

~O) ~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#9 02-13-2012, 10:34 AM,
Removing the P.A.I.R system will not effect engine performance, for the positive, or the negative. Period. The only time the system will effect engine performance is when the reed valves get gummed up, weak, or when one of the vacuum diaphragm's fail and causes a vacuum leak. It can be very tricky and challenging to diagnose a drive-ability issue with failed system.

LTD's and SEI's do not have "carb slow air" cut-off valves. Afterburn, yes. It shuts down the P.A.I.R when the throttle is closed at speed. The electronics control fuel delivery at throttle closing. Yes there is a supplement manual for the LTD / SEI.

However, the carb and injected models share the same P.A.I.R system.
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#10 02-13-2012, 03:28 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Injection system question- 3 2,081 08-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Last Post: roscoepc