Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Manual Fan Switch?
first color coded just added

Look at these three diagrams
the second on is what is on my bike. only a switch, which is wired in AFTER the fan, doing the same job as the thermo switch only manually.

I then added on the diagram a LED, this requires 12 volts so when either the thermo or manual switch is activated the LED will light. The LED is going to ground either way. Either through the manual switch or if that is open then through the thermo switch.

Attached Files
.jpg   Fan switch with LED.jpg (Size: 31.85 KB / Downloads: 504)
.jpg   without LED.jpg (Size: 27.75 KB / Downloads: 498)
.jpg   color coded.jpg (Size: 35.46 KB / Downloads: 497)
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#31 06-29-2011, 04:46 PM,
that's how I am wired. :d (rather, that is how the bike is wired)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#32 07-01-2011, 12:04 PM,
I'm all good now! Thanks to everyones advise and to Tricky for the drawings. I'm all back together and I have an LED that lights when the fan is on and a switch that turns the fan on manually.

I've also installed an EC Harness, new pulse generators, new timing belts, new rad hoses, new thermostat, new rad cap and new Honda Type 2 Coolant. Once again, this site has proven to be an outstanding resource. Thanks again. :d :d :d
Scotty P
Grafton, Ontario, Canada
1997 GL1500 SE
Gone, but not forgotten:
1985 GL1200I
1985 GL1200A
[Image: ON13_Avatar.jpg]
My Red Knights Chapter
My Professional Page
Facebook & LinkedIn
#33 07-04-2011, 08:23 PM,
OK folks,

I've had this GL1200-I for about four years now. :YMSIGH:

Each year it's gotten a bit better thanks to the great help of the fellow GL1200 fans and this site. :YMAPPLAUSE:

I was beginning to wonder if this was just a money pit. Oh wait, those are Harleys. :lol:

Well, tonight I finally got to go for a ride after getting all the plastic back on from the recent round of upgrades. :YMPRAY:

Is this what a GL1200 is supposed to run like? Confusedhock: This is what you all have been enjoying for years? Confusedhock:

This is awesome! Now it feels like a 1200cc bike should feel! I suspected, but now I'm positive, one of my belts was off a tooth. It's starts quicker, it's quieter, smoother... ...it just runs great! :d

I'm just grateful to have a Healthy Happy Honda in the barn! :YMPEACE:
Scotty P
Grafton, Ontario, Canada
1997 GL1500 SE
Gone, but not forgotten:
1985 GL1200I
1985 GL1200A
My Red Knights Chapter
My Professional Page
Facebook & LinkedIn
#34 07-05-2011, 08:41 PM,
Well how about that, now you have no excuse for not attending our small gathering this year near Waterford in August :YMHUG:

#35 07-06-2011, 05:31 AM,
Went for a great ride tonight with the wife and had a stop for ice cream and all went well. I need to readjust the carbs as I'm going through fuel like crazy. We went 125 kms tonight and I used almost half a tank. The LED that was installed has confirmed a suspicion I've had for quite some time; once the bike heats up enough to turn the fan on, it never shuts off again. I even hit the highway tonight and no dice, still lit. So, my fan appears to be running all the time which would indicate a bad thermostatic switch, correct? Anyone have a source for that? Part numbers? Thanks!
Scotty P
Grafton, Ontario, Canada
1997 GL1500 SE
Gone, but not forgotten:
1985 GL1200I
1985 GL1200A
My Red Knights Chapter
My Professional Page
Facebook & LinkedIn
#36 07-07-2011, 08:13 PM,
scty_p Wrote:Went for a great ride tonight with the wife and had a stop for ice cream and all went well. I need to readjust the carbs as I'm going through fuel like crazy. We went 125 kms tonight and I used almost half a tank. The LED that was installed has confirmed a suspicion I've had for quite some time; once the bike heats up enough to turn the fan on, it never shuts off again. I even hit the highway tonight and no dice, still lit. So, my fan appears to be running all the time which would indicate a bad thermostatic switch, correct? Anyone have a source for that? Part numbers? Thanks!

Either that or your over heating.

I have a bike here doing the same thing. although that is when it is idling in the garage. my bike and my friends bike and others will cycle on and off while idling. I installed a new temp sender so I know thats OK but the gauge is not showing the true temperature of the engine. Maximum 3 bars on the gauge. (That is not right) when the fan comes on the gauge should be about 8 bars.
Installing an after market marine electronic gauge with it's own sender will show the true temp...... more work....

I installed one on my bike temporarily a couple of years ago when my bike boiled over while showing 2 bars on the gauge, turned out to be head gaskets. after that fix and a new sender I went back the regular setup

#37 07-08-2011, 06:18 AM,
tricky Wrote:Either that or your over heating.

Nope, not overheating Tricky. I had it up to halfway across the guage while I was "burping" the cooling system with rad cap off. It has never boiled over. While I was on the highway, the guage was reading around the 180-185 degree step on the Interstate guage. It was a couple needle widths above that while tooling around at slower speeds. I've got fresh Honda Type 2 cool-aid in it too. I think I might try a cooling system flush and see if that makes any difference.
Scotty P
Grafton, Ontario, Canada
1997 GL1500 SE
Gone, but not forgotten:
1985 GL1200I
1985 GL1200A
My Red Knights Chapter
My Professional Page
Facebook & LinkedIn
#38 07-08-2011, 08:57 AM,
tricky Wrote:
scty_p Wrote:Went for a great ride tonight with the wife and had a stop for ice cream and all went well. I need to readjust the carbs as I'm going through fuel like crazy. We went 125 kms tonight and I used almost half a tank. The LED that was installed has confirmed a suspicion I've had for quite some time; once the bike heats up enough to turn the fan on, it never shuts off again. I even hit the highway tonight and no dice, still lit. So, my fan appears to be running all the time which would indicate a bad thermostatic switch, correct? Anyone have a source for that? Part numbers? Thanks!

Either that or your over heating.

I have a bike here doing the same thing. although that is when it is idling in the garage. my bike and my friends bike and others will cycle on and off while idling. I installed a new temp sender so I know thats OK but the gauge is not showing the true temperature of the engine. Maximum 3 bars on the gauge. (That is not right) when the fan comes on the gauge should be about 8 bars.
Installing an after market marine electronic gauge with it's own sender will show the true temp...... more work....

I installed one on my bike temporarily a couple of years ago when my bike boiled over while showing 2 bars on the gauge, turned out to be head gaskets. after that fix and a new sender I went back the regular setup

Check your t-stat. If it is frozen open coolant may be passing through the radiator faster than the coolant can dissipate the heat.
Be careful with the coolant flush. The flush may dislodge something and it may lodge itself somewhere else.
If the radiator is off, try back flushing with the garden hose. And if it is off, a fresh coat of paint after it dries may be in order.

On another thread I am discussing replacing my head gaskets. One of the symptoms I noticed was my temp gauge was reading just off stone cold after a 45 minute commute on the freakway. AND I KNOW THAT AINT RIGHT. If the problem persists after the head gasket replacement, I will deal with it then.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#39 07-28-2011, 01:51 PM,
Back to installing an external fan switch. Using this diagram I can't figure out which wires to install the new switch wires.

[Image: GoldwingFanWiringDiagram.jpg]

The ground on the switch is gounded to the frame.
The wire from the PWR on the switch goes to the green wire going to the thermo ??

[Image: GoldwingAccSwitch.jpg]

[Image: GoldwingRadWiring-1.jpg]

The ACC wire goes to the ?

Being an old fart and an electrical dummy I'm lost !!!
#40 08-09-2011, 04:29 AM,
The black wire from the fan or the black wire to the fan switch. It's the same wire.

Take that one and connect it to one side of the switch your putting in. It doesnt need to be an L.E.D. switch. than take the other side to ground.

Attached Files
.png   fan switch.png (Size: 122 KB / Downloads: 432)

#41 08-09-2011, 06:13 AM,
Thanks, that makes it look simple 8) 8)

Does it matter if I use the PWR or ACC wire from the switch?
#42 08-09-2011, 06:36 AM,
Day late and a dollar short perhaps as this thread has been dormant for a while but here's what I did on my 1985 Magna which has exactly the same electrical setup of the fan system. It works great. When I add one to my Aspy I'll add that too.

Attached Files
.pdf   's Fan Override Switch 85 V45 Magna.pdf (Size: 1.49 MB / Downloads: 58)
MagnAndy
current:
. -1985 VF750C-E Honda Magna (2009-current)
. -1986 GL1200 Honda Goldwing (2011-current)
Previous:
. -1985 VF750C-E Honda Magna (1990-1994)
. -19?? KZ650 Kawi (1973-1977)
. -19?? BSA 250 Starfire
(1971-1973)
#43 12-17-2011, 10:05 PM,