Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Are 84 1200 Standard mufflers different?
My question, for ya'll experts, are the exhaust different from the 84 1200 Standard to the other 1200's? Starter finally quit all together so it's time to repair it. I began disassembling the ALL parts in the way to remove the starter including the exhaust header. While I'm at it I will remove the mufflers to see if I can find where the exhaust leak is. Much to my surprise when I removed the mufflers there was some sort of asbestos/grafoil mesh/packing/spacer that was around the header pipe to fill in the gap where the headers fit into the mufflers, it appears that the header pipe is about 1/8 to 3/16 inch smaller than the muffler inlet. Could it be that the PO changed the headers, could they be a 1100, what about mufflers from a 1500????? If I understand it correctly the standard mufflers have the round tips and the others have the flat tips, mine are round but they did have turn down extensions???? Maybe this is this the way it's supposed to be????
#1 09-08-2010, 04:42 AM,
I have a picture of one of poorboys 84 standards in a calendar and the tips look round to me, though they may have been replaced.

The aspy and interstate for 84 I think are an oval shape
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 09-08-2010, 11:43 AM,
The tips on the standard are different than the rest. I think that is the only difference. Poorboy
#3 09-08-2010, 01:14 PM,
I agree with Poorboy. the standard exhaust is the same with the exception of the exhaust tips.
put turn outs on mine
#4 09-08-2010, 03:43 PM,
Quote:Much to my surprise when I removed the mufflers there was some sort of asbestos/grafoil mesh/packing/spacer that was around the header pipe to fill in the gap where the headers fit into the mufflers, it appears that the header pipe is about 1/8 to 3/16 inch smaller than the muffler inlet.

Ya, there's a tapered gasket that goes between the header pipe and the muffler. I just replaced mine and got them from the local Honda dealer.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#5 09-08-2010, 08:13 PM,
Great, thanks for the info, I'll check with the local Honda dealer.
#6 09-08-2010, 10:51 PM,
The gaskets at the header pipe to muffler is a stock item. I get a pair from Vencowings.
Ride safe, Bob
#7 09-09-2010, 12:30 PM,